Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Requesting trip planning advice: Ensenada to Tepic
BajaWaverunner
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 02:23 PM
Requesting trip planning advice: Ensenada to Tepic

Looking for trip planning advice on the best way to drive a car with Baja plates from Ensenada to Tepic. I will be leaving the car with family once I arrive in Tepic. Need advice on route planning and any required documents/permits. Car is Mexican with Baja plates and I am a white American guy with FMM. Thinking of driving down Baja and using the ferry to cross. Any help appreciated.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 02:43 PM

I don't think skin color matters, but you best have auto insurance that covers what you are driving for liability. I would think a notarized paper from the registered owner stating you have permission to drive it anywhere in Mexico (or at least the states for this trip) would be wise.
Make sure what papers the ferry company needs is covered. They don't like shipping cars out of Baja that may be stolen.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 03:27 PM

Is the car in your name?
BajaWaverunner
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 03:56 PM

Car belongs to mother-in-law. Delivering it to our daughter who will be staying in Tepic for one year while she completes her one-year of medical service. Will need to bring the car back to ensenada at the end of her year of service.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 06:32 PM

Ferry crossing about 13 hours; cost $200 (?) or so - depends on the car and how many passengers. If you're not in a hurry, you could drive east on Mex. 2, then south, follow the coast - stop in Caborca, Guaymas, El Fuerte, Mazatlán, then Tepic. You have to drive the 800 miles to La Paz, then 170 mi. from Mazatlan to Tepic. Google says 1,295 mi. Ensenada-Tepic– so only about 325 mi. difference if you drive the mainland. Spend the ferry cost on hotels instead on the way down. How are you getting back?
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 08:15 AM

I would call baja ferries and ask them. They have english speakers available if needed.

Ferry cost for me last nov. was 295 usd small pickup with a private room.

I was in Tepic by noon after disembarking.

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by chippy]
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 10:57 AM

I drove the entire Pacific coast from Michoacan to Colima to Jalisco to Sinaloa then Sonora coast back across to Baja (as a solo female traveler in a SUV with small dog camping many places). Never had any problems & everyone everywhere was super-nice to me.
Michoacan was my FAVORITE PLACE despite all the "warnings" about it being dangerous. The coast there is much less spoiled than the other states mentioned above.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 11:04 AM

i would check this///

baja plates from a baja importation
are different from plates from a national importation

you need to check or its illegal to drive it on the mainland

just because it has Mexican plates doesn't guarantee you can drive it on the mainland

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 02:47 PM

I live on the mainland and see the Orange, blue and green Baja California plates all the time...I just drove the opposite direction from Tequila to Tijuana via the Mazatlan ferry, cost for standard car, me and cabin was $200 USD, did everything on line, simple and easy.Make sure you have a letter from the owner giving you permission for you to drive it.

Just saw you are a tourist, you better check to make sure someone with an FMM and drive a registered and plated Mexican vehicle...

I hear the whales song

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.