BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yeah, Whatever, I just Love This News Report
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 10:30 PM
Yeah, Whatever, I just Love This News Report

In my hometown, Newport Beach, the police stopped traffic to let mother ducks and their ducklings cross the road.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/when-do-crabs-migrate-...

[Edited on 7-8-2018 by GypsyJan]
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 04:26 AM

Interesting read, thanks for sharing! I experienced land crabs on Okinowa that looked very similar. Nasty little critters :o

[Edited on 7-8-2018 by basautter]
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 08:55 AM

Fifty years ago on the Outer Banks of NC, there were times when the two lane road south to Cape Hatteras would be covered with crabs migrating back and forth from the beach.

They would hold their positions on the road daring any driver to run them over like that would save them. I always swerved around as much as I could, but the squash and cracking was unavoidable.

I never heard that anyone was harvesting them back then. Crabbing in the sounds was common and yummy. I don't know if these were the same species as those that were being caught in the sounds for eating, or not.

That the island treasures these migrating crabs with enforcement says something special. Good on them. Thanks to all here.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 11:15 AM

How cool is that !

I remember while serving my time in the Navy being on Guam and seeing thousands of hermit crabs migrating all over the place.
We would play with them at the beach while high on Buddha weed ( opium laced Thai weed ) we would make obstacles for them to navigate through, was great fun at the time..

Also when a kid on a vacation through Death Valley we came across a large area of highway that had thousand and thousands of
Tarantulas crossing it. There was NO way to avoid them as there were just too many, splatter city... Just a trail of hair , guts and legs were left by our tires..

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 11:27 AM

Many moons ago was travelling on U.S. 40 in western Colorado near Maybelle on the way to a Gates of Lodore river trip.... hoards of Mormon Crickets a half mile long were crossing the road. So many and so gooey had to reduce speed because the bug mush was very slippery.

The lil' scudders were all over the river too. We were running self-bailing boats, and in large eddies the crickets were a floating carpet, and would gravitate up into the floors of the boats. I have a picture on my wall of one female passenger sitting all the way up on my load in front of me with her feet up under her. We had one helluva time getting her out of the boat when we beached.

One thing good was the fishin'. Shank a cricket through the back on a #6 hook and it was instant German Brown showtime; saw two fish hit it at once as soon as it went in.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.