Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: recommend lures / setups for surf/ shore fishing Los Barilles
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 01:20 PM
recommend lures / setups for surf/ shore fishing Los Barilles

Ok guys,
going to be spending a week (July 12 - 20) in Los Barriles / Cabo Pulmo area. plan on fishing from the beach quite bit. not going to be fly fishing, just throwing lures, and bait? I figure I ought to pick up some squid - figure i do that at the grocery mega mart in Cabo area, i believe crocodiles and castmasters are highly recomended - silver being the hot color?

any help, ideas, recomendations, smart ass comments, all are welcome.

thanks
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 01:47 PM

I'd bring nothing but Krocodiles, chrome with whatever color they happen to have, snip off the swivel of course and you're good to go!
squid? thats for lunch;)
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 02:00 PM

I would add some kastmasters to williardguys krocs. The heavier the better to get them out there.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 02:16 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Luhr-Jensen-1003-012-0466-Krocodile-S...

I swear by these, both 5/8 and 3/4 oz. Caught everything from iddy biddy sand bass to trigger, yellers, a very large manta, barracuda, you name it, they bit it. Good for jiggin', trolling, casting, the works. Carry a bunch 'cause with all the action you'll need many.

Took a hint from the little 'blood drop' on the hook ring... carried a roll of red duct tape in my box, snipped a 1/2" x 1" strip, wrapped it around the treble hook shank and snipped that into a triangle on other lures, got better results. :light:

[Edited on 7-8-2018 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 02:31 PM

I vote for Kastmasters. Much greater distance than Krocs, especially for similar weight. Also much more aerodynamic in wind. And you can retrieve them faster, if need be, before they start popping the surface.

Go with silver and consider painting a darker blue bar or even a darker blue "head" (front 1/4 of the lure) for contrast. To some fish, this can make the lure look like a much smaller bait and sometimes thats all they want. Yet you retain the weight of a larger lure for casting.

I believe I have purchased some 3oz Kastmasters in the past. I like the ones with the single hook and do use ones with a white bucktail.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 02:53 PM

I've used Berkley Gulp artifical bait. I've baited two hooks one with squid and one with Berkley Gulp crab and they both worked equally well.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I'd bring nothing but Krocodiles, chrome with whatever color they happen to have, snip off the swivel of course and you're good to go!
squid? thats for lunch;)

why do you snip off the swivel ? does it improve action? and w/o it, does not your line get all twisted up?
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
squid? thats for lunch;)

why do you snip off the swivel ? does it improve action? and w/o it, does not your line get all twisted up?

Alot of toothy critters (especially sierra) will bite you off at the shiney swivel.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 04:28 PM

squid? thats for lunch;)

no action with a swivel.....they're there for trolling
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 04:37 PM

The swivel is an interesting conundrum. Troll without it, you have a bunch of twisted ruined line. With, you lose lots of lures to barracuda especially; they go for the shine. What's a poor angler to do? A short steel leader? They still go for the front shine. Maybe black nail polish... know any Goth teens? I don't. Thank heavens, damned youngsters now-a-days. Hell, they don't even grow their hair long any more.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 06:14 PM

caj13 check your U2U.
Good Luck!:yes:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 07:49 PM

Gulp, Kastmasters, and Krocodiles are all good choices. You can catch more on Kastmasters than Krocs but you have to learn how to work them. A steady retrieval is very limiting. There are times when the Krocs outfish it but not often.

Gulp may be best but requires at best a very slow retrieve, just enough the keep the line tight. It catches more of the less mobile bottom fish - triggers and spotted bay bass.

Squid like Gulp works with shy fish. When the fish aren't boiling on baitfish. I've done well with squid on small jacks and pompano in that area. I would buy the smaller market fish (loligo opalescense) and put on the head with tentacles. They can't resist.

Good luck.

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by Skipjack Joe]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 07:49 PM

What's the likely shorecasting species on bait in Los Barrilles? Is it simply puffers and triggers. Or are better eating fishes COMMON like pargo, halibut or bass or croakers?

If it's just puffers and triggers, pass on the bait. It's a hassle. Nothing like the freedom of walking and throwing metal. C and R is so much easier, too.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 09:06 PM

Nothing can beat a good salmon egg!! Except the good old alligator lure!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 09:31 PM

If it was me I would drive down to the Pt Arenas lighthouse and fish there from shore. I've caught croakers, porgies, needlefish, ladyfish, pompano, jack crevalle, green jacks, pompano and even skipjack from shore (at dawn). Many of these like shiny lures. Krocs are really good for ladyfish. Needlefish love them too. Pompano take squid real well.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 02:23 PM

The K/M has been around for many years, Acme made this lure for stripers and bluefish on the east coast with distance foremost in mind.
The castmaster is one of the most versatile lures for fresh and saltwater fish out there and prime for the beach in Baja.
Action can be varied by the guy using it,burn it,fast very fast slow to very slow,Don't just throw it out there and crank! vary the speeds, stop it then burn it, it has a sexy wig-wag at very slow speeds which I discovered up north in the dead of winter on a south facing beach on a full sunny day on a regular basis.
Blue and green/chrome were my favorite colors,use a lighter rig for more action,I always used lighter line in the sand heavy over rocks...……...Loved a sandy beach.....I miss it.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 07:06 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, very helpfull, particularly UnoMas U2U. I should be well prepared when i get there. I think I'll try painting swivels dark , and see if that helps - science!
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 07:32 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, very helpfull, particularly UnoMas U2U. I should be well prepared when i get there. I think I'll try painting swivels dark , and see if that helps - science!

Just buy some black swivels. Black Swivels

Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Dick's, Sportsmans Warehouse, Amazon, They all carry them.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 02:26 PM

I appreciate your input. I do use black anodized swivels,
the issue we are refering to here is the barrel swivels that come attached to the krocodile lures, they are shiney, so you either have to cut em off, or paint em some way (assuming you think it causes a problem of brweaking off the line)
Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

Just buy some black swivels. Black Swivels

Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Dick's, Sportsmans Warehouse, Amazon, They all carry them.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 03:35 PM

unless you're soaking bait with a carolina rig.......NO swivels. watch for yourself, throw either jigs and watch the action with a varied retrieve, with and without a swivel....;)
if you just want to bait fish with the line wrapped around your toe while sipping a pacifico.....thats cool too!:P

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by willardguy]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.