Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: drip irrigation supplies
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 02:39 AM
drip irrigation supplies

Is there any store in baja, preferably BCS, that sells garden irruption equipment. That is equipment for drip irrigation. hoses, connectors, elbows, plugs, timers, etc?

Thanks in advance.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 06:13 AM

Home Depot?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 06:40 AM

Amazon.com

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Is there any store in baja, preferably BCS, that sells garden irruption equipment. That is equipment for drip irrigation. hoses, connectors, elbows, plugs, timers, etc?

Thanks in advance.

There is a dedicated irrigation store in La Paz that sells everything required for drip irrigation. They sell items by the piece or in commercial quantities.

I can not remember the name (some combination of initials) but it is located on Marcelo Rubio Ruiz between the the corners of Navarro and Manuel Encinas. (Only about two blocks from the McDonalds on 5th of Feb) We just call it the "irrigation store".

Home Depot has some very limited supplies but does carry programmable "hose end" battery powered timers. The irrigation store carries more sophisticated timers.
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 07:26 AM

I've bought all of mine at Home Depot in Cabo. Like RnR says, it's limited selection but enough for what I needed.

Andy
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

Thanks in advance.

There is a dedicated irrigation store in La Paz that sells everything required for drip irrigation. They sell items by the piece or in commercial quantities.

I can not remember the name (some combination of initials) but it is located on Marcelo Rubio Ruiz between the the corners of Navarro and Manuel Encinas. (Only about two blocks from the McDonalds on 5th of Feb) We just call it the "irrigation store".

Home Depot has some very limited supplies but does carry programmable "hose end" battery powered timers. The irrigation store carries more sophisticated timers.

This little store is really great along with the limited selection at Home Depot (La Paz) minor items at El Arco and ACE Hardware. IT's easier to bring the distribution control unit and drip or spray items in your suitcase if you fly.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 08:16 AM

we bought our drip stuff in town at Pichons...but have since stopped using it on properties where someone isnt checking it all the time as the fittings can come apart and in a very short time you can rack up a BIG water bill if it is just running out. Cuidado with drip irrigation if you are not present.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RNR  

This is the place I have used for years. Can't remember the name either.

Also if lines are out side fenced, animals will chew the lines for water.

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by BajaNomad]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
we bought our drip stuff in town at Pichons...but have since stopped using it on properties where someone isnt checking it all the time as the fittings can come apart and in a very short time you can rack up a BIG water bill if it is just running out. Cuidado with drip irrigation if you are not present.

Shari, I turn off the timer when I leave. The tubing is still connected to all the strategic spots. Blady turns water on and off and the water goes to the same spots as the as with the timer on. This system does a much better job than watering with the hose which is a hit of miss situation and he can read the paper for twenty minutes instead of walking around.

The UV light did a number on the water emitters in my ward. The more expensive sprayers are UV protected and did not fall apart after one year. I don't think Pichon has higher quality ones.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 10:56 AM
Irrigation drip timer

This may be a good time to ask -

What is your favorite timer?

The reason I ask is because some of my timers from Amazon don't engage at the right time. The stop after 20 minutes as they're programmed to do but will often not start on the appropriate day and time, even with a fresh battery.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 11:03 AM

Battery controller called NODE by Hunter (uses 2 9v batteries and will last 2 years on them) has been a winner when I need a battery timer.

In the past, I have used the battery controllers sold by DIG Corp. (made in Israel) but they have given some users problems, and my supplier (Ewing Irrigation) no longer stocks them.

The biggest key in Baja would be to make sure you have a control valve that will operate on low pressure. The Hunter NODE single station controller comes wired to the latching DC solenoid, which only fits Hunter valves. Adapters or other brand DC solenoids are available for different valves. https://www.hunterindustries.com/irrigation-product/controll...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 11:07 AM

Thanks in advance.

Agricultural supply stores will get you quality drip products. I did a big thread on drip irrigation parts here on Nomad, some years ago... from 2008: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31858

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 11:30 AM

https://www.orbitonline.com/products/hose-watering/timers/ho...

This may be a good time to ask -

What is your favorite timer?

The reason I ask is because some of my timers from Amazon don't engage at the right time. The stop after 20 minutes as they're programmed to do but will often not start on the appropriate day and time, even with a fresh battery.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 12:29 PM

David's mention of the NODE and latching valves is an important consideration if you are totally battery dependent on your system. Regular valves require constant voltage to remain open, drawing down your battery. Hunter latching valves utilize a small permanent magnet that holds the solenoid open after receiving a short burst from the controller. Another burst of opposite polarity at the end of the cycle closes the valve. No energy is then required during the time the valve is open, or closed. I learned about the NODE and latching valves a few years ago and converted many remote valves to this system. One or two 9 volt batteries seem to last for years as they only run the software and a burst of voltage when opening and closing valves. I'm sure David can elaborate on this.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 12:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Agricultural supply stores will get you quality drip products but I am not sure if the places in Mexico will have small quantities and small size components needed for home garden applications?

Re-Read the first half dozen posts to answer your question.... ?

There are commercial/agricultural/home irrigation stores in La Paz that carry drip products and sell small quantities.

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by RnR]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Agricultural supply stores will get you quality drip products but I am not sure if the places in Mexico will have small quantities and small size components needed for home garden applications?

Re-Read the first half dozen posts to answer your question.... ?

There are commercial/agricultural/home irrigation stores in La Paz that carry drip products and sell small quantities.

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by RnR]

Thank you... no disrespect intended.

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 04:30 PM

Ditto what RnR, Mula, and gnukid said.

I think the name of the store is INAPSA - couldn't remember it either at first, but I'm pretty sure that's the name.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
David's mention of the NODE and latching valves is an important consideration if you are totally battery dependent on your system. Regular valves require constant voltage to remain open, drawing down your battery. Hunter latching valves utilize a small permanent magnet that holds the solenoid open after receiving a short burst from the controller. Another burst of opposite polarity at the end of the cycle closes the valve. No energy is then required during the time the valve is open, or closed. I learned about the NODE and latching valves a few years ago and converted many remote valves to this system. One or two 9 volt batteries seem to last for years as they only run the software and a burst of voltage when opening and closing valves. I'm sure David can elaborate on this.

You did good Jack!

The systems operated from a standard 110v home plug-in controller, which is transformed down to 24v, sends constant power out when the valve is to be open, activating a magnet that pulls a piston in/up. If the power is cut or the wire connection interrupted, the valve returns to the normal, closed position by way of a spring pushing out/down the piston.

A battery powered controller only send a power pulse out to open and another to close, latching the solenoid piston up or down. Ther is no constant power to keep a valve open.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mula  
Quote: Originally posted by RNR  

This is the place I have used for years. Can't remember the name either.

Also if lines are out side fenced, animals will chew the lines for water.

[Edited on 7-10-2018 by BajaNomad]

the store is called INEPSA, they have everything drip related.

[Edited on 7-11-2018 by pacificobob]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 10:16 PM

Has anyone in baja used the Earthbox system for growing veggies near the house?

It has the advantage of being mobile. Moving the planter to areas with less wind if you're on the pacific side.

https://earthbox.com/gardening-systems/the-original-earthbox-gardening-system
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.