Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Pacific side between Ensenada and Todos Santos
baja99
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 07:09 PM

Bobrehfuss,
Either starting in SD or Tecate. No intention to stop north of Ensenada (or in Ensenada). We don't necessarily plan to drive to Todos Santos, but would be willing to drive that far if there were must sees. Also an idea to explore the Pacific side, then fish 1-2 days in Loreto and head back. We have 10-11 days.

Of your list of towns, we have only been to Guerro Negro and San Ignacio. We've overnighted a couple times in Guerro but haven't spentuch time there.

Normally we like to meet people and hang out but this is more of a relax by ourselves / family bonding trip. Not that we'll be anti social! We don't want to move every night, but probably don't need more than 2-3 nights anywhere. Just trying to see what's out there this trip. I think I mentioned we don't want to camp. So our stops need a clean/safe hotel or house rental. Nothing fancy required.

We love the water. Surfing, swimming, fishing, tidepools....Thanks for any suggestions!

bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 07:31 PM

Ok, I believe I understand what your looking for. I think it’s gonna be a great time to go down the pacific side for all the things you like to do.

I forgot to ask one moderately important question. How many people?

I’ll prob do this in a couple of posts so I don’t have to do it all at once.

Tecate Siiiiiii!!! Not only my favorite beer but I love the town and it’s such a nice way to start a Baja adventure. Breakfast at Birria el Poblano across the street for the first Pemex (yes it’s still a Pemex) once you cross the bridge leaving downtown. Prob about a half mile or so. It will be on the same side of the road as you. Super friendly, clean and great Birria de Res :)
baja99
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 07:36 PM

Bobrehfuss,
Either starting in SD or Tecate. No intention to stop north of Ensenada (or in Ensenada). We don't necessarily plan to drive to Todos Santos, but would be willing to drive that far if there were must sees. Also an idea to explore the Pacific side, then fish 1-2 days in Loreto and head back. We have 10-11 days.

Of your list of towns, we have only been to Guerro Negro and San Ignacio. We've overnighted a couple times in Guerro but haven't spentuch time there.

Normally we like to meet people and hang out but this is more of a relax by ourselves / family bonding trip. Not that we'll be anti social! We don't want to move every night, but probably don't need more than 2-3 nights anywhere. Just trying to see what's out there this trip. I think I mentioned we don't want to camp. So our stops need a clean/safe hotel or house rental. Nothing fancy required.

We love the water. Surfing, swimming, fishing, tidepools....Thanks for any suggestions!

baja99
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 09:41 PM

Family of 4, youngest is 18!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 10:21 PM

If you don't want to camp you wouldn't want to run the entire SS's.

You could however drive down to Santa Rosalillita, and then head up North for about 30-35 miles or so. To say, Punta Cono or maybe even Bahia Blanco.

The best breaks and beaches are in that section. Punta Maria is really, really nice, and the dunes just South of Cono are spectacular.

The road from Santa Rosalillita North to these spots is really easy and fast. It's paved from Hwy 1 to Santa Rosalillita. There is a small, kind of crappy, hotel at SR and also another one that is bigger right off Hwy close to the turn off to SR.

This could be a fun day trip to see great beaches and world-class surf spots. Up for lunch and back before dark.

If you wanted to push it more, you could cut down to the Seven Sisters around Chapala and come out near Bahia Blanco, than head South to SR. Probably about a 70 mile trek. 10-20 miles of it will be a little bumpy.

[Edited on 7-16-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 11:50 PM

Erindira

I assume from your comment about not stopping before or in Ensenada that you prefer the more laid back Baja vs Ensenada and north to the border. If that’s the case then Erindira is about the first place going south that fits that bill.

About a half hour off Hwy 1 driving through an agricultural valley you’ll get to Erindira. It’s a farming and fishing town that is actually quite a bit bigger than it seems as most of the town is up the hill and on the other side from the beach but there is a stretch right along the beach and there is a small hotel. Basic rooms, I’ve never stayed there but it appears clean.

There is also another place if you go north up the beach about 15 minutes called Coyote Cals and the have a bar but it seems like it’s only open on weekends but might be busier in summer and open during the week. There was another place next to CC that had casitas for rent but they were closed when I was there. There is VRBO available and when I go back I’m gonna rent a house.

There are some nice beaches and rocky shorelines and you can drive to the water. It’s a Fishing town so there are lots of fisherman and a few that specialize in sportfishing.

There is a cool dirt road road that goes south from town, down the beach and comes back out to San Vicente on Hwy 1 so if you wanted to you could do a loop.

There is not much in Erindira and not really tourist friendly but there are small stores where you can get whatever you need and couple places to eat. Seems like everything closes pretty early there.

It’s really a pretty place but it’s only about 3 hours from Tecate. With only 10 days and southern destinations in your sights you may wanna push a little further south your first day. It’s only about another hour and a half past the turn off to Erindira to the Cueva Pirata hotel near Camalu and maybe another hour past Camalu to Hotel Mission Santa Maria in Bahia Santa Maria which is my favorite spot for the first night on my way south.
baja99
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 07:33 AM

Great info- thank you both!

Definetly prefer the laid back Baja, especially for this trip. I checked out the hotel and agree- better to get further south on day 1. Thank you!
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 08:24 AM

That makes sense. I’ll skip the info on Camalu.

Here are the places I can peovide info on that seem to fit your trip needs and time frame.

Bahia Santa Maria
Santa Rosalalita
Bahia Asunción
La Bocana
Abreojos

I can’t see how your gonna get farther than that in 10 days unless you drive real far down at the beginning, drive more than 4-5 hours several days or drive really far the back up at the end. Driving way down the first day is certainly an option if your into the long haul. It sounded to me like you want to see new places and check out what they have to offer more than you want to drive, drive, drive just to get farther south but perhaps I misunderstood and getting farther south is a priority? Let me know and I’ll post info later today as work permits.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 08:40 AM

As there are several Bahía Santa Marías, this one is the outter bay of San Quintín.

Santa Rosalillita is a tough one to spell for many, as well as Guerrero Negro and Puertecitos, etc.

Where ever you go, it can be a fun adventure!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baja99  
Bobrehfuss,

If you do stop by Asuncion, we have a very friendly bunch of surfers that have a surf club and always enjoy showing others where to surf and socialize with them....the teens would have fun with them...try to hit here on a weekend for awesome food options too. We have a 3 bedroom, 4 bed Beach House that would suit your family.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Bobrehfuss,

If you do stop by Asuncion, we have a very friendly bunch of surfers that have a surf club and always enjoy showing others where to surf and socialize with them....the teens would have fun with them...try to hit here on a weekend for awesome food options too. We have a 3 bedroom, 4 bed Beach House that would suit your family.

What are the rates? I've never been to Asuncion, but would like to hit it up.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Bobrehfuss,

You could then direct them down the coastline to see some of the most pristine beaches and coastline in all of Baja.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 02:05 PM

Oh the beaches between Asuncion and here in La Bocana are so pretty!!

If you should decide to stay in La Bocana, we have a bnb that is really just a hotelito since we don't live there any more and Les doesn't do breakfasts any more. You will love it. Views are lovely.

For the wife, we can set up a massage at the bnb for $500 pesos! You choose deep tissue or soft tissue. I have done it twice now and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh talk about bliss!!

Full kitchen and back picnic area and a view to die for for $40/nite since we don't charge for kids.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

If you should decide to stay in La Bocana, we have a bnb that is really just a hotelito since we don't live there any more and Les doesn't do breakfasts any more. You will love it. Views are lovely.

For the wife, we can set up a massage at the bnb for $500 pesos! You choose deep tissue or soft tissue. I have done it twice now and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh talk about bliss!!

Full kitchen and back picnic area and a view to die for for $40/nite since we don't charge for kids.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 03:29 PM
Check out my recent trip report along the Pac Coast

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90623#pid1125...

Spend a night in Guerrero Negro, then down to Viscaino and across to the northwesterly tip of BCS.
When you depart take the roads down to Asuncion, Bocana and Abreojos as noted by others on this post.
Up above Isla Tortugas is about as laid back and non-touristy as you will find.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

What's the drive like between the two? Pretty deserted between the two locations?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 04:31 PM

JZ It's pretty much open country that follows the coast line but not like the sisters, there are mountains to the east. For the most part you follow the power lines. In the middle are a couple of small villages. I have not stopped there just passed by so I don't know what is there. It is a good drive or MC ride and you get close to the water at times.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 04:37 PM

don't think you'd like it jz!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 04:54 PM

The drive between Asuncion and Abreojos is not all that scenic, you are mostly driving with dunes between you and the surf
But you are so close to the water that a stop and walk across the dunes puts you right on beach.
The road is good, where is stays on the hard packed tidal flat land it is 100 mph if you so desire, and the regular upper dirt road is fast also.
The whole trip can be made in just over an hour if you are bored and want to just enjoy the towns on each end.
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 05:49 PM

Yes, I was referring to the Bahía Santa Maria just south of San Quintin. It’s my favorite spot to stay the first night of my Baja trips cause I can easily make it there in a long days drive from Big Bear and still have time to stop in Tecate for Birria, Camalu for mariscos, a few other pit stops along the way and still time for paprika crab at Mission Santa Maria.

Im no Baja expert by any means but I like to travel Baja with friends, stay in houses/hotels and do many of the things that the OP likes. I also love camping but that’s a different kind of trip although I do combine the two sometimes.

I thought Jenifer asked a reasonable question very relavent to BN but after a little helpful input and a suggestion of the Seven Sisters the conversation pretty much turned to Crazy Ass Nomads battling each other via keyboard.

I just thought I’d chime in with some relevant conversation and see if any one else might join in too. Looks like that happened so that’s pretty cool cause there is so much great info here collectively....Can’t we all just get along, haha!!

I love your maps David. Perhaps you can post a few showing the places I’m talking about as I don’t have that resource and I’m hoping some folks with more knowledge will fill in the blanks that I leave and even suggest places that I’m not familiar with.

Shari, when I said Bahía Ascuncion it was your beach house that I had in mind just the same as I was thinking Les and Blancas place for La Bocana. I even think the drive between the two places along the coast is cool and agree with Blanca that the beaches are so beautiful although it takes me way more than an hour cause I’m slow and I stop a lot.

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.