Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 12-day Sea of Cortez cruise
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 05:43 PM
12-day Sea of Cortez cruise

In April 2020. Leaves from San Diego too. A good price for 12 days and several Mexican ports. I did a 14-day with Holland America - had a very fun time.

12 Night Mexico Sea of Cortez Maasdam - Customer Favorite!
Departing from: San Diego, California
Ports of Call:
• Cruise Bahia Magdalena •
• Cabo San Lucas, Mexico •
• Pichilingue (La Paz), Mexico •
• Loreto, Mexico •
• Santa Rosalia •
• Topolobampo, Mexico •
• Mazatlan, Mexico •
• Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Interior from $1,099 $92/per night

https://www.cruisesonly.com/sc.do?d=04/03/2020&d2=04/15/...
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 06:01 PM

Hate cruises with a passion.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 06:07 PM

Sounds like a fun cruise, but I would never book an inside room
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 07:43 PM

That's a Holland America cruise. They leave all the time from San Diego.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 08:28 PM

Had an inside room with an obstructed view, and one with a port-hole view - no complaints. Most of your time is not spent in the room anyway. Holland America is the only line that has ships departing from San Diego.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 06:57 AM

Am just trying to imagine what the shore excursions in Santa Rosalia would be...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 07:01 AM

The bakery.............

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
Am just trying to imagine what the shore excursions in Santa Rosalia would be...
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 08:08 AM

My last cruise ship.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 08:31 AM
What is the Attraction ?

Having never been tempted to take a cruise given the disproportionate time spent at sea versus visiting locations, the answer that I usually get to the question (other than the obvious regarding food) is the opportunity to interact with a diverse group of people.

Since that interaction is something that I've attempted to avoid since childhood, that pretty much cinches it, but I realize that most crave company.

Back in the '90s, we did find the cruise lines useful in both San Juan (PR) and Charlotte Amalie (St. Thomas).

Using the various trams/buses provided by the cruise lines for their passengers, we could travel crosstown without paying taxi fares.

That was cool.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 09:36 AM

The attraction? From a woman's point of view (you're considerate of your wife, right?), I don't have to cook, clean, drive. Don't have to drive across town 7 times to go to stretch exercise, salsa dance class, jewelry sale, soak in the hot tub, get to the magic show in the evening, dance to the blues band, have a meal either with others (like a dinner party with interesting people) or by ourselves -- all in the same day. Next day, it's craft class, cooking class, line dance class, computer class, lecture on emeralds, play Yahtzee in between dips in the pool, comedy show in the evening, dance to the blues band. Then it's non-stop shore excursion - snorkel, shop, museum, zip line, hike, World heritage sites, local town color, history, architecture, beach, margarita - the same as any other way you'd enjoy traveling. At sea day: art auction with giveaways and champagne, liqueur tasting, jewelry sale, movie, hot tub, harp concert, NFL with a beer, dance to blue band. It's totally carefree - all fun. Shore days are packed with as much activity as you can in your allotted timeframe - new destination, new experience. You can definitely choose to spend most of your time alone if that is what you want, but I wouldn't say that craving company is any type of appeal for cruising. It's a manner of traveling, just like backpacking or a road trip in hotels are ways to travel, but with cruising you only unpack once. Cruising is also a relatively inexpensive way to travel, when you consider you're getting your room, all meals, entertainment, travel cost from city to city (of course the cost can escalate depending on departure point, type of room, shore excursions). Some cruises have itineraries that do have more at-sea days than excursion days - but some of these are repositioning cruises and cost a lot less. In the 12-day Sea of Cortez, there are 7 or 8 shore days out of 12 (and the first and last days are only partial days - last day is pretty much for getting off the boat). There is a repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver - takes 4 days only - as little at $260. Almost cheaper than flying and a lot more enjoyable. Once in Vancouver, travel another way - rent a car and camp - get on the Alaska ferry, fly to Anchorage and do a train trip. Lots of way to travel.
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 09:53 AM

Took Holland America to Inside Passage Alaska years ago and was 90% people over age 65. Never again. Cruises like this are for those tourists who like everything on schedule (drives me crazy) Only cruises I really enjoyed were Antartica and Artic cruises took years ago on expedition ships. Different type of clientele as well (more adventurous).
dorado50
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-15-2018 at 10:36 AM

If you are in good health and want to stay that way.....DO NOT go on a cruise ship.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
My last cruise ship.

Marc that looks more like a boat. I only cruise what I can fly off of.

USS Kitty Hawk CVA-63
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 11:53 AM

Booked on this one. Done it about 12 times before. Very casual, no dress up, no dinner schedule, and the party last all night for the hardy. It`s where you get a real Tequila sunrise!!!

https://bluescruise.com/31-oct-2018-sea-of-cortez/

BTW this one sold out months ago. BUT----- the pre booking starts July 26 for the 2019 trip.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 12:09 PM

TMW...You guys actually got sea pay??;);)

[Edited on 7-15-2018 by Marc]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 01:35 PM
Sea Cruise a Gal Thing ?

While I may be (to a degree) considerate of my wife's tastes, I have never (and will never) choose an itinerary based on her choices absent my interest in the same.

Granted, I've taken her to a few (very few) movies that I had no interest in at some point in the last 40 years, but that's about it.

Fortunately, she's never expressed an interest in those cruises. We wouldn't have gone if she had, but (thankfully) there's been no disharmony in that respect.

Our cruising has been in our own (or rented) sailboats off the coast or in the Caribbean. Where we found (4) a crowd the one time that we went with another couple.

Speaking of those quickie "shore leaves", that was one of the negatives we noticed when we mixed with those cruising people. They all seemed in a hurry.

In any case, "different strokes .........." , as they say.

They're obviously popular with the thousands that they cram on board.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 03:21 PM

Some people like cruises, some don’t. Lots of judgmental posts in response to an informational one.
Must be the summer heat?

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 03:31 PM

That's why they make Neapolitan ice cream.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
That's why they make Neapolitan ice cream.

Make mine Spumoni ..... or Pistachio also will suffice... Heck I'll even go so far as Rum Raisin ..

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Hate cruises with a passion.

Then don't go, DUMMY. :lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.