BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Looking for beach/camp road access and safety - Gonzaga, BoLA, and N. Loreto
Greenscales

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 04:33 PM
Looking for beach/camp road access and safety - Gonzaga, BoLA, and N. Loreto

Leaving in the next few days to 4wd camp/kayak fish Baja again. Focus is Cabrilla (etc.) Puertecitos South to Gonzaga for a few days - maybe Kayak Camp a night on one of the islands. Any recommendation for a place to camp arrival night, launch kayak towards island, and have someone watch truck second night.? Same question goes for BoLA area.

I then plan a few days in Punta Baja/San Antonio (I know that area) and maybe kayak camp San Jeronimo 1 night. But if weather is bad on Pacific I'll head South for a short week. Loreto + La Bocana/Abrejos areas for a few days each maybe.

Does anyone know the roads/area North of Loreto and South of San Bruno Creek - with beaches near Coronados Island? I tried in January to find a basic camp spot and launch area near the island, but all the roads a few miles North of Loreto w/beach access are now gated. So I couldn't camp North of Tierra Firma Point. So if there is a spot w/in 5 miles of the island that I could safely leave my truck - I would love to know.

Thanks
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 05:42 PM

LA Bay- try Archelon
Talk to young Tonio, he is in charge since his dad died
You can camp on his beach pretty cheap, access to banos and showers, etc
And totally safe to leave stuff there.
Really nice people.
Last year they let me watch the Daytona 500 on SkyTV in their house
This year Baja Vida and I watched NBA finals with them.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 06:58 PM

Greenscales, I just sent you a U2U.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 07:06 PM

I would be careful of Bay of LA. Burglaries and murder there, including the recommended camp.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
I would be careful of Bay of LA. Burglaries and murder there, including the recommended camp.

This chit kills me. A couple freakin' incidents. Guess what, something random, very bad happened a couple streets over from where I live in Calalabas, California not too long ago. Do you think we avoid that street now? Just a terrible post.

[Edited on 7-17-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 07:21 PM

Op, camp at San Juanico, about 25 miles North of Loreto and then 10 miles in on a dirt road. Beautiful bay.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 07:46 PM

I would have to agree, chit happens all over not just Mexico!

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

This chit kills me. One freakin' incident. Guess what, something random, bad happened a couple streets over from where I live in Calalabas, California not too long ago. Do you think we avoid that street now? Just a terrible post.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 07:55 PM
TIME OUT!!!!

Sir,
I have a lot of history with the Resendez family and Archelon
You have made a very very aggressive statement here.
Either back it up, or back it off!!!!!
Not negotiable!!!
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 08:01 PM

This chit kills me. A couple freakin' incidents. Guess what, something random, very bad happened a couple streets over from where I live in Calalabas, California not too long ago. Do you think we avoid that street now? Just a terrible post.

Yes, You are right. Best to ignore it and not be aware of whats around you. Or better yet...lets pretend it never happened.

Guy and his wife get shot trying to stop their boat from being stolen and you say ignore it to the guy who wants to leave his truck there....Classic.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 08:07 PM

Guy and his wife get shot trying to stop their boat from being stolen and you say ignore it to the guy who wants to leave his truck there....Classic.

I've been in Loreto and La Paz on days ppl have been killed.

It was a random incident in BoLA, the chance it happens to the op is .00001. But you couldn't wait to scare someone. Let's just all stop going to Baja or just hole up in our houses for that matter.

When I read posts like these I actually think the person typing it doesn't really go to Baja anymore and is just bitter.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 08:16 PM

No one said don't go. Just be aware and make up your own mind.
Even the residents there had to call in the politicos and for help because it is lawless. look it up. You guys want to stick your head in the sand go ahead.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/bcs-murder-rate-soared-433-...

http://news.jammedup.com/2018/03/03/report-baja-california-l...
Greenscales

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 08:32 PM

I am familiar with the incident in BoLA, friends of friends on FB. But I have lived in the Harbor Gateway area of LA during the Brown vs. Black violence, as well as other places with similar issues. I am concerned for and about traveling to BoLA and other parts of Baja - and that is why I just want to make certain of a solid place to leave my vehicle - my fishing/kayak gear is probably as valuable as the vehicle. I am more concerned with greedy Policia in certain towns since I travel solo and I don't back down to pressure or corruption. Difference in the US is the corruption is hidden in excessive regulation and taxation from established bureaucracies and you need to pay accountants and lawyers way more to fight for your rights than a simple $20 or $40 to a Policia (I just usually bring extra flashlights, batteries, etc. and offer those).

I appreciate any recommendations. I am trying to plan now so it is seamless there. Wasted days in the North Loreto trying to find the access roads across from Coronado Island to find that a rancher, private home owner, or someone else had fenced in areas that locals (including government officials) guaranteed were required to be open access to people. Don't want to waste a bunch of time and miss weather windows again.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Greenscales  

I am trying to plan now so it is seamless there. Wasted days in the North Loreto trying to find the access roads across from Coronado Island to find that a rancher, private home owner, or someone else had fenced in areas that locals (including government officials) guaranteed were required to be open access to people. Don't want to waste a bunch of time and miss weather windows again.

I'd love to hear what you learn about getting to the right spot to cross over.

It's a little more than a mile at the closest point. Would be cool to go up the coast and take a Zodiac over.

Greenscales

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 10:00 PM
That’s the area fenced in

I am researching the Navionics spots as well. I was trying to get to the point where it says camping, but couldn’t find an open road. About 6 Miles North of the point is San Bruno creek and saw a road on a few maps. Some cool deep water spots, but pushing my distance for kayak fishing to the island. Hoping there is a road further South I can camp/launch from.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2018 at 07:24 AM

For islands near Gonzaga, you could park and launch at Cinco Islas. There is a camp manager there who can watch your truck. For Bahia de LA, you can park and launch from Daggetts. There are some gringos that live immediately adjacent to Daggetts - maybe feel out the situation and see if they'll watch your car as an alternative. For Loreto, you could conceivably launch from town and paddle along the coast north, then traverse to the island - about 1 mile at the closest point; arrange to park your truck at one of the small motels along the malecon. Some islands need permits.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2018 at 08:16 AM
NORTE!!! I AM DEMANDING YOU BACK UP YOUR SLANDER

You have slandered and impugned the integrity of good people.
Either back up your assertion re the Resendez family and Archelon or get off the board!!!

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2018 at 08:35 AM

I don't owe you anything, even if you do think you own this forum Bajarunner. Friends of mine went to race in Feb (LA BAY 200) 5 years ago on their ATV. They stayed at Archelon because they were told it was safe. All their spare equipment (tires etc ) was stolen during the night before the race. Police were called but they stated nothing could be done...that it happens frequently. Needless to say that was the last time they raced there. LA Bay has a history of burglary...boats, etc. People from that area know that...They also know that little is done about it. Ask your good friends. Now...get off my back...I am not here to debate this with you..
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2018 at 08:54 AM

I’ve heard, though cannot confirm, that the owner who fenced off most of the property south of Doctors Point (about 12on your map) did so after paying huge fines to Profepa for beach littering/dumping from trespassers. Fairly irrelevant trivia, but if you could find a spot along that coast, I definitely would not leave a vehicle unattended anywhere there. Break ins are common in the homes in the area.
I’d suggest contacting Alejandro Igartua, owner of La Picazon restaraunt, across from Coronado. Perhaps you could arrange something with him for vehicle storage for a day or two. Great food, too. Find him on Facebook or try 044-613-111-8782

Quote: Originally posted by Greenscales  

I am trying to plan now so it is seamless there. Wasted days in the North Loreto trying to find the access roads across from Coronado Island to find that a rancher, private home owner, or someone else had fenced in areas that locals (including government officials) guaranteed were required to be open access to people. Don't want to waste a bunch of time and miss weather windows again.

I'd love to hear what you learn about getting to the right spot to cross over.

It's a little more than a mile at the closest point. Would be cool to go up the coast and take a Zodiac over.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2018 at 10:38 AM

I agree with everyone about violence being random regardless if Mexico OR U.S. which is not anymore crime-free than anywhere else in the world.
I traveled (mostly camping in tent) last year for 3 months in states that State Department says are "dangerous", i.e., Michoacan, Colima & Sinaloa & never had a problem & everyone was very nice to me. And I am a 66-y.o. female traveling ALONE with a small dog.
So all violence needs to be taken in perspective. In reality I feel safer in Mexico than anywhere I've lived in the U.S. including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, etc.
Greenscales

[*] posted on 7-17-2018 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
For islands near Gonzaga, you could park and launch at Cinco Islas. There is a camp manager there who can watch your truck. For Bahia de LA, you can park and launch from Daggetts. There are some gringos that live immediately adjacent to Daggetts - maybe feel out the situation and see if they'll watch your car as an alternative. For Loreto, you could conceivably launch from town and paddle along the coast north, then traverse to the island - about 1 mile at the closest point; arrange to park your truck at one of the small motels along the malecon. Some islands need permits.

Thanks - definitely will check on the Gonzaga option. Depending on weather, fish reports, then if I fish Gonzaga; I will do either BoLA or Loreto - but probably not all 3. The Daggetts/gringo alternative sounds good. As for Loreto - it might be too far to kayak up to the island from town with the camping gear. Won't be able to fish well either day until I unload - with the clutter, specially if windy - but it could work if weather cooperates. Thanks
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.