BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-11-2003 at 10:02 PM
Checkout this NC Restaurant... "K38 Baja Grill"

K38 Baja Grill, in North Carolina... what a trip:

http://www.k38baja.com/k38/about.htm

[Edited on 9-12-2003 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-12-2003 at 08:43 AM
Please invite them to post here

I am very impressed with their menu and they obviously have been bitten by the Baja bug. Doug, why don't you send them an email and ask them to join us. Ya gotta be impressed with someone that offers Prickly Pear Frozen Margaritas!! :lol:
Jim

[*] posted on 9-12-2003 at 09:12 AM

With a photo of Monument Valley as their banner, it does beg the question about their definition of "Baja." Maybe someone near k-38 on Pacific side can ID the spot where they received their epiphany. I'm familar with Wilmington NC and any restaurant serving SW food should be applauded.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2003 at 09:24 AM
Tacos n stuff

I can't ever remember a taco stand at K-38 itself but there are a couple nearby. One in particular, next to Anamar Restaurant is exceptional. I think he has a good thing going there, accurate locations of origin or not. The true test is in the tacos.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2003 at 09:57 AM
The appearance of Mexican Culture in the South

As a child growing up in Virginia, I never met a Mexican. Things have changed quite a lot over the twenty years since I moved west, though. The State is now chock a block full of Mexican immigrants and native Virginians who now have an interest in Mexican food and culture. Lots of Columbians back there these days as well, but wouldn't you know, they and the Mexicans don't like each other much. The more things change.....- Stephanie
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2003 at 10:46 AM

This is their version of a fish taco. I may not get out much, but I've had my share of fish tacos in Baja, and I cannot recall ever having one with cheese in it. Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but make mine with a corn tortilla, green cabbage, and hold the cheese, please. And there'd better be lime and mayonnaise in that yogurt sauce.

Baja Fish Taco
Grilled flour tortilla, beer-battered cod, mixed cheeses, red cabbage, roma tomato, yogurt sauce and cilantro. - $3.75
A?ejo Coca

[*] posted on 9-13-2003 at 10:36 AM

Hidey Ho,

The Taco stand next to Anamar the JR mentioned is "Taco Surf".........definately the best tacos in the area. That's why they are usually so busy!

I especially like the "taco price chart" on the left which lists the cost for up to100+ tacos

The patio view at Anamar is worth a look for those that haven't seen the view in that area.

The K38 link wouldn't work for me, so I couldn't check that out:smug:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2003 at 07:05 PM

I hope their fish Tacos are good, its harder and harder to find great tasting fish tacos in Baja, only a few places guard the traditional recipies that gave the fish Taco fame.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-16-2003 at 02:35 PM
k38 grill

I lived just four blocks from the place. It opened in the 90s and had pretty good food. What they DON'T show you is that the whole area is built up into strip malls so the scenery ain't so nice.
They are a slick operation with lots of advertising, catering mostly to the college crowd (University of North Carolina, Wilmington) and employing same.

Me? I'm planning my next trip south, and every time I DON'T eat in a restaurant is another few days on the beach this Winter.....Vandy
Los Pateticos

[*] posted on 9-16-2003 at 08:06 PM
don't say queso!

Cheese on a taco must be an American thing as we were dining at our favorite haunt, El Paraiso in San Q. when a group of surfers asked for a side of queso for their fish tacos. You should have seen the look on Eduardo's face. They were also in our opinion, being very rude by inviting their dog to sit under the table and allowing it to eat tacos off of the restaurant plate. To us that was an insult to the restaurant and to the food that was served.

Back on topic, granted, if I were stranded in NC, that far from Baja, I'd partake of the fare, and probably drive some distance for it. But there is nothing that compares to the local baja street corner taco stand eats, sin queso.

Los Pateticos.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-16-2003 at 08:53 PM

Not authentic Baja fish tacos, but my SoCal fish taco preference is:

http://www.wahoos.com

...and yes, these have cheese by default too.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2003 at 09:32 PM
Tacos n Tacos

Speaking of American things, now we have "Taco Police" ?:lol:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 10:59 PM

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/6813222.htm
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 01:11 PM

Call me a Taco Cop, whatever, but the idea of putting cheese on one of the fish tacos from a place like La Floreta in Ensenada or (substitute your favorite vendor here) is like putting mayonnaise on a pastrami sandwich.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 01:54 PM
chuy's , a calif chain with outlets now in

AZ puts grated yellow cheddar? on their fish tacos.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 02:51 PM
Cheesy Tacos

I find it hard to believe that these families down here have never, even accidentally, spilled some cheese on there fish tacos at one time or another. Probably woulda been goat cheese but cheese nevertheless. I can't imagine this being bad.
Perhaps not "traditional" but does it taste good? Look under progress.
The next time I hit JRs (not mine, but the best Fish and Shrimp Tacos in Rosarito) I will be taking some cheese with me to see if I have been missing anything.
PS, for the cheese heads like me, order a quesadilla rather than a taco if you want both meat and cheese on your regular tacos.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 03:20 PM

If you're a cheesehead, try Carbone's in Ensenada. They serve excellent "choriqueso" tacos (as opposed to quesadillas, which are also on the menu). And if you're hell bent on putting cheese on your fish taco, more power to you. As my mom used to say, it's all just really a matter of taste. I look forward to your report.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.