BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Public Transport in Baja?
bajabound888

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 08:19 AM
Public Transport in Baja?

Hello All,

Anyone know if there is a bus or train service from Cabo to Tijuana?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 08:23 AM

No train lines in Baja other than from Mexicali to Sonora, and the Tijuana to Tecate portion of the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railroad from 100 years ago.

Many buses travel Hwy. 1. Someone who has used them should be along shortly to describe that for you.

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 08:24 AM

No trains but lots of buses. Long journey, bring a good book and sleeping pillow. Try google ABC buses Baja, for basic information.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 10:08 AM

Only train service is tourist train at Copper Canyon (El Chepe) & quite expensive even for tourists.
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 11:02 AM

Yes there is bus from Cabo to TJ. Several options actually if you check into it. If you just wanna get to TJ and not stop as much along the way check into the more expensive option. Can’t remember the different name but the nicer one is actually pretty nice with large comfortable seats and not too crowded because more expensive than the cheaper option.

Disclaimer...I haven’t used the bus since 2013 so might be different but I doubt it.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 11:35 AM

Back in the day, '80's, bus travel in Mex was cheap,
much cheaper than a flight. Bus in '82, TJ/La Paz $14 dlls,
I know that doesn't do you any good. Guessing that
trip now would be $130 +, add another $30 to the Cape from La Paz,
although if one wanted to see the peninsula, stopping
along the way, the bus is the way to go. Volaris
flight, TJ/ Cape, f you get a good price, they seem to fluctuate
wildly, could be cheaper than the bus

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2018 at 07:26 PM

The other bus line is Aguila.

SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 08:42 AM

The Aguila site at https://www.autobusesaguila.com/horarios.php seems easier to find information about routes and schedules than the ABC site.

Aguila has terminals in CSL and CJDC but I don't see that Aguila has a choice to go from either of those terminals all the way to Tijuana. You might have to book two tickets for a complete trip.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 09:04 AM

I prefer Aguila to ABC...you can break it up and stay somewhere overnight like Mulege or Loreto. It is about the same price to fly though.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 09:17 AM

Actually the Tijuana - Tecate route is active and being used:

http://railfan.com/trains-tijuana-baja-california-railroad/

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2018/mar/26/crossing-south-train-te...

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
No train lines in Baja other than from Mexicali to Sonora, and the Tijuana to Tecate portion of the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railroad from 100 years ago (not used today).

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by bajaguy]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Actually the Tijuana - Tecate route is active and being used:

http://railfan.com/trains-tijuana-baja-california-railroad/

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2018/mar/26/crossing-south-train-te...

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
No train lines in Baja other than from Mexicali to Sonora, and the Tijuana to Tecate portion of the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railroad from 100 years ago (not used today).

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by bajaguy]

Great news! Thank you... The tracks look terrible and I have never seen a train on them. I will edit my reply. This doesn't help the OP getting from Cabo to Tijuana, sadly!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 11:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabound888  
Hello All,

Anyone know if there is a bus or train service from Cabo to Tijuana?

No trains.

2 bus companies, ABC and Aguila. Didn't notice much difference in price - US$180? more or less, or in buses quality (either one is okay). About 8 or 10 departures in 24 hour period. Aguila have a website, but it usually doesn't display all available times. Some will drop you off at La Paz or Santa Rosalia or Ensenada, and you'll have to buy another ticket for a bus leaving in half an hour, no big deal.

I would not want to travel by bus all the way from Cabo to Tijuana without making at least 2 hotel stops. Commercial flight to TIJ will cost the same, or less.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 12:15 PM

I have never ridden on a Baja bus, but I have witnessed more than a couple of hair raising maneuvers by drivers who must have been trying hard to stay on schedule!

I would love to hear from some of you who have used the bus lines. What does it look like (safety) from the passenger seats?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I would love to hear from some of you who have used the bus lines. What does it look like (safety) from the passenger seats?

When I was sitting in a front seat, looking at the traffic, I concluded that there was a better chance that I would do something stupid trying to make time, than the bus driver. 10-15 years ago they were much more careless.

Overall, more relaxing than in a car. Mostly, you're sleeping or watching movies on overhead screen. Never took the whole Cabo-TIJ trip at once, this is way too long.

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by Alm]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I've ridden TJ/La Paz a few times. I assume one still does
have a seat you pick out, I would get the window seat
first one by the front door of the bus, talk to the driver,
look thru the windshield, sort of your own tour. Most all
of the drivers are mid age, professional family guys, no death wish. One however, a young guy was being shown landmarks by the other driver
down 1, I realized this was this young guy's first time.
Going thru Catavina, dark, this bus was in the 80 mph range,
I could see some cow was going to join me, after coming thru the
windshield.
The only plan I could come up with was to asked to be let off,
in the middle of nowhere. A local 20 yr. old girl, had
got on in Ensenada, she came sat by the driver and appeared
to flirt, at that time he slowed to 50. I don't know if she
did this to save us all or not

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 05:13 PM

It's a great option if you don't want to drive, no insurance to pay. I believe there are options available with tickets - purchase TJ to Cabo but be allowed to get off. RT costs less and you can have an open-ended depart date. You need to discuss at the counter.
Once riding late at night our bus ran over something and the bus was leaking fluid. Driver had to stop, we all got out and waited for our replacement bus - about 3 hours or so, at dawn with the sunrise. Some people made little fires. I have confidence in the drivers since they drive the route all the time, and switch off drivers with the one sleeping in the cargo area. The only thing I don't like is the TV on all the time - 10 am to 10 pm. Once 2 guys behind me were yakking at midnight - at least for an hour. I had to turn around and tell them, "Bastante. it is time to sleep, please be quiet." Coming back from Loreto to TJ there were about 12 people on the bus the whole way. Starting at TJ, they'll pick up passengers in Ensenada and the bus gets full. Bring a gallon of water. Once I brought a blow-up kids pool toy to lean against to make it more comfortable (deflates when you're not using it). As Shari said, it's not all that inexpensive -- do the math with gas, insurance and convenience rating.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 05:13 PM

I take the bus often from Vizcaino to Ensenada, a 10 hour ride. I quite like it and have it down to a science. I bring my own food & drinks, some fine wine, a book, load a few movies on my tablet, settle into my seat in the middle with a pillow and blanket and enjoy a day off. For me being....ahem....a senior...it is half price....so for about 500 pesos I get to Ensenada...cheaper than I could drive my car.

I bring my own food and drinks because once at night the bus hit a cow and it damaged the door so it wouldnt open so nobody could get on or off till we got to Ensenada! I also bring a little battery charger for my tablet in case we get delayed.

I dont like sitting up front as the drivers make alot of noise and listen to music alot. You need earphones as those movies they play have real loud volume although some buses you can turn off the speaker above but still super loud.

I also know where the stores are in the stops to pick up a cold brew or a taco if I want. I also go for a little stroll at stops....the drivers usually tell you how long the stop is.

On occasion I get a stinky seat so I also bring some nice smelling essential oils to drop around me. Usually the bus is not even half full so you can change seats if you want. I also bring a sleep mask for napping and good ear plugs.

[Edited on 7-21-2018 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 05:23 PM

The best way to avoid dangers of invisible cows is not to be on the road in the night. 5am bus from Cabo should arrive to Sta Rosalia before sunset. Spend one night in a hotel, take the first bus in the morning about 7am.

Night ride can be more convenient and less boring. Fewer people than in daytime, you may have the whole seat for yourself. I prefer middle seats, stretching my legs across the isle (often possible on night buses), and trying to sleep.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-21-2018 at 04:10 PM

I was driving from Mulege to Loreto a while back. I was just getting to the curvy part when a bus came up from behind. I stepped on the gas but could not shake the guy. Finally on the straight he passed and was gone. I honestly don't know how a bus that big can maneuver the curves as fast as we were going.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-21-2018 at 04:48 PM

Marc, just curious.... why the hell did you step on the gas, regardless of how fast you were going or what you were driving? I'd slow down a tad and hit the left turn signal when possible to be passed. You've obviously done Baja for a while now, que no?

[Edited on 7-22-2018 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.