Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Los Pinos and the Rodriguez brothers
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 10:11 AM

Be realistic about the state of labor in Mexico. It is not simply this case, the wage being paid by Rodriguez Brothers is above the minimum gov set rate and is base pay for a majority of manual labor force in Mexico which likely includes 50% of the working population.

Rodriguez Brothers are an example of a functioning business that employees people within the legal guidelines in a country that has strict labor laws. Rodriguez Brothers are the least of concerns in comparison to life and death problems faced daily.

If you feel strongly that wages in Mexico are an issue, there are also issues of concern with lack of potable water and sewage treatment, education, health care, senior care, crime, cartel violence, systemic corruption and a legal system that fails to prosecute crimes or hold criminals.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 10:40 AM

I am with gnukid on this one.

How many of you Woody Guthrie types are on the front lines? or are you just keyboard activists. hint...haven't seen any one singing in the fields lately.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Yes I have been at the camp in San QUintin. Not as you describe though. Seemed to be 2 groups of people...full time workers that lived on-site in nice housing, on-site medical, on-site school, etc...can't speak to the on-site store but there was one. And the part-timers who were bussed in. They were obviously less paid and lived off-site...but there was a roving doctor they could see in the fields.... If you have not been there,, you can request a tour for your selves.. an impressive operation.

Request a tour? As in, a tour led by the Company? I guess you could 'request a tour' of North Korea too, and see 'an impressive operation' of what they want you to see too.

If you close one eye it only looks half as bad. :smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
seriously? soliciting donations for exploited farm workers children employed by the Rodriguez family....and continuing to patronize their businesses? does that sound right to you?:?:

Did I not use the right words?
Juanita delivered clothes and other supplies to the small children who needed them [whose parents could not afford to buy or get].

I was trying to figure out how or even if I could help there somewhere. There is a need for sure.
They area is thriving and there is lots of work. So something is going right.
I hope the brothers will let me park my jet at the runway. You know, when I get one.:cool:

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I was trying to figure out how or even if I could help there somewhere. There is a need for sure. The area is thriving and there is lots of work.

The best hope is for a civil rights activist in the mould of Cesar Chavez to organize a farm workers union. That's an idea that should appeal to lefty AMLO.

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 02:25 PM
Ceasar Chavev a civil rights activist?

Come on now...he was a union organizer! The migrant workers legally in the US under the Bracero program were targets to be converted, or gotten rid of.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 02:31 PM

OK, Cesar Chavez, labor leader.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I was trying to figure out how or even if I could help there somewhere. There is a need for sure. The area is thriving and there is lots of work.

The best hope is for a civil rights activist in the mould of Cesar Chavez to organize a farm workers union. That's an idea that should appeal to lefty AMLO.

[Edited on 7-20-2018 by SFandH]

I think they m have a few of those guys. I think they had a little riot/protest a few months ago... shut down the highway and stuff...

[Edited on 7-21-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 03:09 PM

THey actually have a couple of unions already...or they have tried to. That is who organized the strikes of a couple of years ago where tghey gained some wage concessions. Too bad you people did not go participate, throw a few rocks, burn a bus etc
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 03:18 PM

"San Quintin Riot For Wages Festival"?
Fun for the whole family?
Bring you own rocks?

chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 09:33 PM

pretty sure by now any seasoned Baja traveler has seen the problems stretching form San Quintin to Colonet, and the typical conditions in Vizciano, etc.... I would suggest it's all about idea's, as in lets say mexico was granted the southwestern portion of the united states, say texas, new mexico and arizona, right now 7/19/2018. in less than a generation it would look exactly like mexico today, as in the small percentage of the ruling class would brow beat the poor working stiffs. Countries, people and cultures need to see the truth about what works for the good of the majority of that particular culture, some will say that is a recipe for disaster, I say, ask anyone who strives for a better life
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 10:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
pretty sure by now any seasoned Baja traveler has seen the problems stretching form San Quintin to Colonet, and the typical conditions in Vizciano, etc.... I would suggest it's all about idea's, as in lets say mexico was granted the southwestern portion of the united states, say texas, new mexico and arizona, right now 7/19/2018. in less than a generation it would look exactly like mexico today, as in the small percentage of the ruling class would brow beat the poor working stiffs. Countries, people and cultures need to see the truth about what works for the good of the majority of that particular culture, some will say that is a recipe for disaster, I say, ask anyone who strives for a better life

Most of the world, and the USA historically, has the ruling class lord over a teaming mass of poor.
In USA and Western Europe, you can thank democracy, idealism, progressives, unions, etc. for correcting the worst tendencies of humanity.
The gop would love to see the USA made over to look like san quintin farms, a ruling class controlling a teaming mass of poor.
Heck, trump refuses to pay a fair wage in his hotels, so he staffs them with Eastern European temp laborers. He loves migrant laborers, just not Mexican migrant laborers :lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.