BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Food safe after x-ray at Tijuana POE?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 01:57 AM
Food safe after x-ray at Tijuana POE?

Upon entry to Tijuana via San Isidro, I was told to curl up for a random x-ray scan of my vehicle. Inside are my organic fruits and vegetables that I will eat for the duration of my trip.

The officials refused to answer my question of the x-ray would make my food unsafe. Is this a legitimate concern?

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 02:58 AM

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/01/12/145107755/wh...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 04:04 AM

Do you use a microwave at home?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Do you use a microwave at home?

On once a day

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 10:14 AM

I always drive upwind of hospitals...

redmercury
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 10:49 AM

I thought you could not bring fruits and vegetables into Mexico.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 11:09 AM

Food will be safe, but will glow in the night and won't be able to procreate :)

Microwaves have wavelength several MILLIONS times longer than X-ray. Higher-frequency end of VHF radio overlaps with that of a microwave, so if you are worried about MW you should be worried about VHF too.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 11:20 AM

actually there are a number of foods prohibited.....

Prohibited Imports by Mexico Customs
These foods have been deemed by the SENASICA office of Mexico to present a risk of introducing pests or disease into the country, and are not allowed under any circumstances.

Homemade food items
Fresh, dried, or frozen pork
Fresh, refrigerated, or frozen poultry
Fresh, refrigerated, or frozen beef

[Edited on 7-23-2018 by willardguy]
redmercury
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Why did you think that? Do you have some documentation? As I have it now, food for personal consumption is allowed. In the past, beef and dog food were restricted (Mad Cow scare).
There is a possible restriction of produce on Hwy. 1 going into the southern state. But, only there and not on any other road into Sur.

Thank you, Williardguy, for showing David K the documentation which states fruits and vegetables are not allowed to be brought into Mexico.

David K, with your 53,000 posts, you are the reigning Baja expert here? Sheesh!! How could you not know such a simple thing like that, or NOT at least take the time to look it up before putting your foot in your mouth?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 11:58 AM

Dear Red, I was just asking you, that's all. I have been camping in Baja since 1965 with parents and since 1974 without. Like everyone else who I know that camps or lives in Baja, food from the U.S. for personal use has always been allowed (except during the Mad Cow time). Your post just needed some reference, that's all. Why the personal stuff?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 12:05 PM

Irradiated food may actually be a bit safer than non-irradiated food because the radiation may have killed some nasty pathogens on/in the food. The higher the dose, the more effective the sanitation.

Food taken into space by astro and cosmonauts is highly irradiated beforehand to sterilize it.

According to Bajabound, reputable folks I think, fruits and veggies fall into the "regulated" category for taking into Mex.

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/agriculture.php

[Edited on 7-23-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 01:43 PM

He was lucky they sent him to X-ray at all. "Regulated" means it has to be on the list of allowed countries of origin and processes. Unless each and every one of those fruits and vegetables is labeled, or as a store package, and label contains the information they want, the procedure is to err on the side of caution and throw it out. We should be grateful that Mexican customs are so lax. Americans would throw it out and make some entry on computer screen, I bet they don't write anything good there.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 01:57 PM

DK was irradiated at a very early age...that's why his ego glows in the dark

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 02:15 PM

Not my ego, maybe my personality...? :biggrin:
There is still more Baja that I do not know than I do know. Probably what makes it so special... one can never get enough!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 02:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

According to Bajabound, reputable folks I think, fruits and veggies fall into the "regulated" category for taking into Mex.

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/agriculture.php

Thanks for your input. I haven't touched the organic berries yet, but the plums and white apricots were refreshing with this heat.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2018 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I haven't touched the organic berries yet, but the plums and white apricots were refreshing with this heat.

You mean that you are still feeling well after eating them? :) ...

After low level of radiation it takes weeks and months for damages to show. Radiation poisoning of Chernobyl wasn't heavy for general population 50 miles away, and first few years everybody was fine. Then cancer statistics went up.
But, like people said, in your case there is nothing to worry about. It was food that got irradiated, not you.

[Edited on 7-24-2018 by Alm]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.