BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Any fishing reports from Santa Rosalia?
woody

[*] posted on 7-24-2018 at 08:45 PM
Any fishing reports from Santa Rosalia?

My grandpa and I are looking to head down to his place in Santa Rosalia in the next couple weeks. I would love to hear how the fishing is? Is there any bait? Are the Dorado in? Any other info would be great. Thanks!
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2018 at 12:14 PM

No reports but some of the best Dorado fishing in the summer that I can remember. I think it doesn't experience the pressure that other cities like Loreto and La Paz incur. Yellowtail fishing in the winter at the 110 (N end of San Marcos) is typically pretty good.

Tight lines

815cbc0f-937c-4898-8792-7d649632592f.jpg - 86kB

[Edited on 7-25-2018 by BajaNomad]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-25-2018 at 12:59 PM

When you get there check in at San Lucas Cove RV park, ask for Craig... if he's there, tell him I sent you.

Maddafact, ask Rene or Janine at the restaurant, they'll be helpful also.:coolup:

[Edited on 7-25-2018 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-25-2018 at 01:46 PM

Check Bloodydecks Baja.
It looks like wideopen Dorado and Yellowtail between BOLA and Loreto.
Not paying attention farther south. Only because it 's better and I don't what to make myself even more fishcrazy.
Epic season everywhere right now. Just go fishing.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

woody

[*] posted on 7-30-2018 at 08:39 PM

Great, we are headed down Friday! Looking forward to it! Thanks for the info, I'll try to give an update when I get back. Thank all
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 02:48 AM

Please take pictures:coolup:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 04:35 AM

The road into Punta Chivato is as good as it has ever been if you have the time. Local ground fishing is pretty good but dorado scarce. most go to San Marcos Isl. from here so San Lucas is good bet. It's been windy lately and afternoon winds around 15mph are normal. Hot too at close to 90º.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2018 at 08:12 PM

Hmmm....always wanted to fish there. :light:
RabAye

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 01:34 PM

I last stayed in the San Lucas Cove campground in June of 2016. I decided it would be my last trip. There was no bait. Trying to make bait near the cactus outside the cove was impossible, and this appeared to be the case all the way north to Santa Rosalia. The locals were getting bait at 300 feet, a ridiculous task that cost a tangled rig on every cast. The reason: trawlers. Though it is illegal for trawlers to work the Craig Channel between Isla San Marcos and the shore, they were there in numbers, and you could hear them and see their lights at night. The shoreline has been denuded of all small fish. The fleet of local fishermen you would in years past find on the reefs at the north tip of the island fishing for yellowtail were not there. My next trip will be to L.A. Bay.

[Edited on 8-2-2018 by RabAye]
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 04:01 PM

RabAye, I wintered for four years, six months or more at a time at SLC. The trawlers and local netters were a constant menace every year, and the old-timers were always lamenting the destruction of the San Marcos aea fisheries. Again, as all over Baja knows there's rampant disregard for protecting natural recourses and blatant over-fishing (other than a few 'sanctuary areas' with cooperativo/vigilancia watch initiatives. All this in eye-sight of a maritime University on the bluffs just south of Sta. R.

I think you'll find BdeLA in the same predicament when you go there. The days (daze?) of stellar fishing in the entire SOC are D-U-N, done. However, this is two years later and sounds like the 'catch is on', at least maybe anyway. However, will never be the same as it used to be back in The Day. "Catch as catch-can" seems to be the norm now.

86 - 45*

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 04:29 PM

Is there any fish left In SANTA ROSALIA?
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 04:33 PM

rts, that I believe is what this thread was initially all about.... quien sabes? Let's find out. As usual it's all about when, where and how, nicht vas? See the post from Russ just above; ya never know! :coolup:

86 - 45*

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
RabAye, I wintered for four years, six months or more at a time at SLC. The trawlers and local netters were a constant menace every year, and the old-timers were always lamenting the destruction of the San Marcos aea fisheries. Again, as all over Baja knows there's rampant disregard for protecting natural recourses and blatant over-fishing (other than a few 'sanctuary areas' with cooperativo/vigilancia watch initiatives. All this in eye-sight of a maritime University on the bluffs just south of Sta. R.

I think you'll find BdeLA in the same predicament when you go there. The days (daze?) of stellar fishing in the entire SOC are D-U-N, done. However, this is two years later and sounds like the 'catch is on', at least maybe anyway. However, will never be the same as it used to be back in The Day. "Catch as catch-can" seems to be the norm now.

Unfortunately I have to agree.. I've also watched the decline over the yrs, very sad.

Making America Great Again
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 12:45 PM

Ok, I have always wanted to fish there, and now I will! Can't be decimated more than Gonzaga Bay. The ocean there is a ghost town due to excessive netting. Very sad :barf::barf::barf:
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody  
Great, we are headed down Friday! Looking forward to it! Thanks for the info, I'll try to give an update when I get back. Thank all

Thanks Woody.. I am curious about San Bruno area reports. let us know what you find out!
Alan
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  

Can't be decimated more than Gonzaga Bay. The ocean there is a ghost town due to excessive netting. Very sad :barf::barf::barf:

Thanks to the paving of the road. I wonder if the people who make these highway decisions consider the devastation they'll bring about before deciding.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 01:27 PM

I think "excessive netting" in the Gonzaga area has been going on for a long time. A lot longer than the pavement even to Puertecitos.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 02:25 PM

Depends what you mean "excessive". A rapid access to the market by pavement changed everything. It's logical if you think about it Hook. It's cheaper to get there by car than by boat and the fish gets to market in better condition. All of which puts greater pressure on the fishery.

Let me ask you this Hook. Calamajjue is maybe 50 miles down the coast that's reachable by a dirt road that's like the old Gonzaga road (even better). How would you compare the fishery there with that near Gonzaga? Or compare Gonzaga to anything between Gonaga and BOLA.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I think "excessive netting" in the Gonzaga area has been going on for a long time. A lot longer than the pavement even to Puertecitos.

I would have to agree.

Making America Great Again
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

I would have to agree.

Even today, some of the fishing fleet come over from Guymas and other mainland ports!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.