Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Propane Fridge fan?
Royosbaja

[*] posted on 7-27-2018 at 04:01 AM
Propane Fridge fan?

Does anyone have first hand experience with the little battery operated fans for use in RV fridges?
I have a "cabin" fridge and was wondering if one would help out.

Looking at battery since my location is off-grid.

Thanks
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-27-2018 at 05:27 AM

Get a computer fan.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-27-2018 at 05:29 AM

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_12?k=compu...

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 7-27-2018 at 07:20 AM

I out a replacement refrigerator vent hood that has a small solar panel on top on the propane fridge in our truck camper...not sure if that would work for you or not...i think its made by Camco

www.amazon.com/Camco-42165-Refrigerator-Solar-System/dp/B001...

[Edited on 7-27-2018 by dizzyspots]
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2018 at 07:34 AM

Propane fridges, especially this time of year, struggle to keep food cold enough so that the food will last any length of time. Its just the nature of the beast. The fans that are designed to circulate the cold air up from the bottom of the fridge do work but are marginal at best. The best hot climate fridge I have found is to use a small chest freezer and convert it to a fridge using a temp switch similar to what the home beer brewers use.
Here is an old link to a post that I started back in 2010 but the info is still good.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47172#pid5384...
Hope it helps you with your problem.

[Edited on 7-27-2018 by larryC]

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2018 at 10:47 AM

Two fans; one to help blow or suck the heat up the exhaust vent

two. fan inside the fridge itself to circulate the cold air that accumulates at the bottom of the fridge.

It's because you probably have an older fridge. The exhaust fan will help more than the fan inside the fridge itself if you can rig a solar one or something.

FWIW, the newer fridges work even in this heat. Expensive but no more worries. I finally replaced a fridge that was marginally Ok when I camped at BOLA. With the new fridge it got as cold as I could make in the 2 setting without the fridge portion starting to freeze things. It was a Dometic.
Royosbaja

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 05:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I had already got one of those CHEAP little fans and will let you know if it works.
My solar is old and limited, (kind of like the owner), but once I upgrade it, the mini-freezer conversion sounds interesting.

Thanks again, safe travels
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 06:35 AM

propane fridgs don't work well in the summer in baja...too humid

having a flame in the kitchen in the summer isn't the BEST idea either...
it's too hot : )
winter they work ok

you NEED to keep food at 40f to 42f all the time or you risk damage and sickness

forget converting a chest freezer too...they use electricity at the same rate as a electric fridg

just buy a 12cf to 13 cf fridg and plug it in
these will use 100w to 130w when working and they don't work all the time (1-1.5amps)

if you cant run an amp of power all night your battery bank is too small and you need to buy more

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 08:04 AM

Bob
The info you put out never ceases to amaze me.
"forget converting a chest freezer too...they use electricity at the same rate as a electric fridg"
Yes they use it at the same rate but they only run a few minutes an hour. The propane conversion I did used less watts than a 14 watt fluorescent bulb in a 24 hour period. I tested it with a Killawatt meter and gave the results in my post from 2010.

"just buy a 12cf to 13 cf fridg and plug it in
these will use 100w to 130w when working and they don't work all the time (1-1.5amps)"

Actually the 1 to 1.5 amps the refer will use is amps AC. If you have a 12v battery bank then you will be using 10 to 15 amps out of you bank when the refer is running which during the winter will average 900 to 1000 watts a day and in the summer when ambient temps are above 90 degrees can be as hi as 3000 watts a day. The freezer conversion I tested used right around 200 watts in a 24 hour period.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 08:50 AM

My RV refer was having trouble cooling last October (hot outside) at Santispac. A retired gringo propane refer technician who has a place nearby came over and installed a computer fan beneath the absorber vessel, a cylindrical tank at the bottom of the cooling mechanism that is accessible from the exterior door on the side of the RV. The objective was to cool the tank. He found power for the fan within the mechanism.

He also took apart the tin surrounding the burner, cleaned the area and cleaned some small tubes that he took apart above the burner.

And he disconnected the propane feed tube from the tank and from the inside of the refer and blew it out with compressed air. There was some oily substance in it.

So, after the refer tune-up, it worked great!

[Edited on 7-28-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 09:05 AM

fact: propane fridgs don't work well in the humidity and 110f

fact: new electric fridgs are efficient and use little energy

fact: there is A lot of sun in baja...the only time you need stored energy to use electric appliances is between 6pm and 9am (15 hours)

fact: if you don't keep your food at 40f it may give you food poisoning

fact: if you have a "real kitchen" you DONT want a flame in it in the summer...even a pilot light in a stove

fact: most people use 120v electricity not 12volts in a "real kitchen"

fact: propane has oil added to it...after refilling tanks over and over there is ALOT of oil in the propane tank that gums up stuff

our website is:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 09:21 AM

What is the difference in efficiency in electric refrigerators that use a compressor, versus absorption refrigerators that are installed in RVs running on electricity instead of propane?

[Edited on 7-28-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
and Larry's correct, you can build a super efficient chest freezer for very little dough (compared to a Sundanzer). just free the condensing coils, add 3 or 4 inches of quality insulation, cover with FRP and re-attach the coils on the outside. the thermostat's are fifty bucks and you can always find chest freezers for the same.

yup...lets put our food in an old rusty thing like that : )

just go buy a new one...stop being cheap!!!

remember...you worked for THIS TIME...you cant take it with you

our website is:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 10:47 AM

I was looking at some new fridges a while ago...

did you know some have a "screen" on them that you can send texts to the "hubby" to pick up milk and eggs...or

watch the amazon guy deliver a package to the front door or
watch the guy behind him steal it

new stuff is just better than old stuff

[Edited on 7-28-2018 by Bob and Susan]

screen.jpg - 28kB

our website is:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 11:17 AM

yeah but all he wants is a small battery operated fan......;)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 11:30 AM

My 1940's Servel works very well in he summertime.

I converted to one of the new SamSung (LG makes them too) inverter model refrigerator. Uses very little electricity and is locally available. Others have done the same now.

Yes..some propane bottles are dirty and can foul (usually) your regulator. I put a loop in the supply line that act as a trap.

No I do not want to sell the Servel.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
My 1940's Servel works very well in he summertime.

I converted to one of the new SamSung (LG makes them too) inverter model refrigerator. Uses very little electricity and is locally available. Others have done the same now.

Yes..some propane bottles are dirty and can foul (usually) your regulator. I put a loop in the supply line that act as a trap.

No I do not want to sell the Servel.

daughter just bought a samsung, they had a cut-away demonstration of these new compressors....very impressive!

They work...most of the time when it is running..... uses .9 amps. during start-up 1.3 to 1.8.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 04:35 PM

What models of Samsung? 12V or 110V? Cubic ft? My roommate is having troubles with her propane fridge, maybe wants to upgrade sometime. She has solar system, although I'm not sure the output, but I think she has 3-4 batteries, the real heavy ones.

John
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

What models of Samsung? 12V or 110V? Cubic ft? My roommate is having troubles with her propane fridge, maybe wants to upgrade sometime. She has solar system, although I'm not sure the output, but I think she has 3-4 batteries, the real heavy ones.

John

didn't Kathy just buy that 40 years ago?:lol:
the startup surge on these inverter compressors make em really attractive!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

I bought the samsung 110 volt 9 cf model. they have larger ones.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.