Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: TIP for Towing Travel Trailers into Baja
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2018 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Here is a brief summary: https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/rvpermit.php
Nowhere in the bajabound article or in this thread is the word "deposit" mentioned (until now). I know that a deposit must be paid when entering on the mainland (except the Sonora "free-zone"). But not when purchasing a TIP on entry to Baja?

"I'm too young to be this old!"
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-29-2018 at 06:08 PM

Crossed at Tecate southbound twice in the last 6 months in our Motorhome. No mention of a TIP, quick look around and sent on our way.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2018 at 07:43 PM

People concerned about TIPs should just stop at the border and ask if one is required and be prepared to get one if the answer is yes. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the Inet. I would not assume what you read is accurate unless it is in Spanish on a Mexican government website.

[Edited on 9-30-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-30-2018 at 08:44 AM

Living north of the border accustoms us to putting all of our ducks in a row and fear any contact with the "authorities". (water dept. enforcement people to the FBI {err RCMP}. They are ubiquitous and all of us are aware of their inflexibility. My humble advise to the poster is that he/she should understand that generally Mexico has a more flexible and practical approach to life on so many different levels. EVERY day here I see people doing things here that would, at least, incur a hefty fine on the otro lado. Anything can happen here - and does. In this case literally millions of people have traveled in Baja California without a TIP. I'm sure an unlucky few have actually been questioned. The results of this bad luck are?????? Who knows - use your imagination: on the spot fine? maybe, sever chastisement? maybe, send you back to the border? maybe. You get the point. One thing you cannot expect is a major fine, confiscation or any other such nonsense that you can expect in a land that monitors and inspects your life to an infinitesimal degree. Once you are over the border you can start to learn how to relax again and stop driving with your rear view mirror. This forum gets endless questions about all such nonsense, dog papers, houseplants, import duties and on and on. I can say unequivocally that enforcement in Mexico depends.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2018 at 12:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Here is a brief summary: https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/rvpermit.php
Nowhere in the bajabound article or in this thread is the word "deposit" mentioned (until now). I know that a deposit must be paid when entering on the mainland (except the Sonora "free-zone"). But not when purchasing a TIP on entry to Baja?
An additional comment - it is outrageous that an article discussing requirements of obtaining a TIP would fail to mention the required payment of a deposit. A newbie would have no clue that a minimum $200 deposit must be paid. Incredible to me this was not mentioned.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-30-2018 at 07:56 PM

I was under the impression that if you had obtained the RV type TIP, that you did not have to post the bond on the mainland.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.