Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: LA Bay Yellowtail 3/7
BahaBob

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 01:05 AM
LA Bay Yellowtail 3/7

We just got back from a whale watching trip finished off with a morning of yellowtail fishing in LA Bay. I went out with Ruben Daggett and his son. We fished Guadalupe Reef with most of the rest of the fleet. The technique was to chase the birds and breaking fish and throw jigs. Blue and white and yellow/grn and white Salas 6X Jr worked great. We ended up with 13 yellows and finished up by 1130 and back to the ramp by 12. The guess was 20lbs each but the scales showed 15. Nice fish. The photo is of Ruben with 2 fish already on the cleaning bench. The fish were full of bait size squid. Quite a few of them were hooked outside the mouth.

Bob
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 01:28 AM
NIce Haul

ever smoke em....they're yummy
BahaBob

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 01:53 AM
Smoked Yellowtail

Yes; that is where they are going tomorrow. They make a great smoked fish dip with cream cheese, mayo and A1. Also barbecued in Italian Dressing tomorrow night for dinner. I left most of them with Ruben as I only had an ice chest for food/drinks rather than my usual big icechest.

Bob

[Edited on 3-9-2005 by BahaBob]
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 07:45 AM

nice score bob, we were there 3 weeks before you and allso scored by chasing the birds on my buddys boat. the fish allways feel bigger then the scale shows. ares were 8 to 15 pounds and we hooked a few that we never could stop down deep. will be there in another 2 1/2 weeks and hope the bite is still on.:coolup:
El Almirante
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 08:01 AM

Great picture. We'll be there in 4 weeks. When I asked Doc about chartering his new boat he told me early April is the slowest time of the year for Yellowtail. Not to question Doc since he puts out great info and lives there. Just wondering about others experience.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 09:00 AM

The photo above shows what slow is, for L.A. Bay:lol::lol::lol:

You should see it when they are really biting!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Here is Mike Humfreville with all the yellowtail he can carry... at Camp Gecko July, 2003...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 03:09 PM
Looks familiar!

I completly filled up Rubis fish rack with 40-50 lbrs last July. Caught and released 10-12 big tails a day keeping fish on the last day for the BBQ! This spot has produced grandes for several years in a row now. Every bait gets bit and you can catch em untill either you or the bait dies!

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:26 PM
What depth...

...were those fish at, Baja Bum, and what was the overall depth of the "spot" you were fishing in July.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:28 PM

Its Sushi time!!!!!!!!!!
BahaBob

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 08:38 AM
50 lb yellows

Soooo, Bahabum; did you weigh those 40-50lbers or was that a guestimate? The only 50lbers I've seen have come off of the long range boats. Igor's tournament winners the last few years have all been in the high 30's.

[Edited on 3-10-2005 by BahaBob]

BahaBob

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 09:01 AM
My biggest yellow at LA Bay

Here is a photo of Jose with my biggest yellow at LA Bay; around 40lbs.

BahaBob

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 09:26 AM
White Seabass

Here is a photo of Igor with a 35 lb white seabass that my daughter in law caught in 1998.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 12:23 PM

a nice yellows from north of San Marcos Island near Sta. Rosalia. Taken with live bait in 220ft.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 02:22 PM
OK, maybe I stretched thigns a tad....

NOT REALLY! All the fish we caught were 37-48 lbs. I knew someone would challenge the weight! Weighed on digital scale and a spring scale! I have one of the tails hanging on my wall it measures 14" from fork to fork, fish was 51" long, 28" girth, just shy of 48lbs.

I know its a bit of an anomole, I have spent the last 25 years fishing from San Marcos island to Gonzaga several times a year and have never caught tails that big, usually they are in the 20-35 lb range but for several years in a row now...same big fish, same time, same place, same program!

bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 02:33 PM
Uno Mas....

BahaBob

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 02:34 PM
Big Yellows

Great; I always like to hear about the big yellows coming back. The netters take a huge toll. They are truly beasts to subdue even on heavy tackle. I enjoy seeing photos of the biguns as well. Congrats. Bob
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 02:37 PM

Hook....

I marked the spot with a BIG red X so its pretty easy to find! :P

Fish were in 250 FT exactly, 20 feet in either direction and Nada!

bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 02:55 PM
You got that right!

I always bring the same gear and love light line fishing.

I Starting with a calcutta 400 (15lb), First 3 hook ups lasted about 1.8 seconds! Moved up to 25lb test on a diawa grande wave, next 3 hook ups lasted about 5.1 seconds, ran out of bait, went to jigs and got 1 fish to color (after losing about $50 bucks worth of iron). First day tally: Fish 10, Us Zero! We had basically showed up at a cannon fight with pea shooters!

That night while licking our wounds we brought out the heavy artillery, Shimano Trinidad 40s freshly spooled with 50lb test. Tied on a 6' 80 lb floro leader, sharpened the hooks and tied everything direct, didnt want to take a chance of a swivel breaking.

Next day was a different story. 15 Macks, 15 hook ups, 8 boated, 7 released. Kept 1 for din din and some glory back at campo dagget. Caught em like that all week long and man can they put a whoopin on ya! On the last day we were flippin coins to see who had to use the last bait!

Unfortunetly I wont be able to get back down this year, going poon fishing in Fla.
Maybe next year!:cool:

bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 03:06 PM
Do They Pull Hard?

Spend a morning doing this and see how you sleep that night!

pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 05:41 PM

Nice guys,
im heading down next week and fishing with guillermos on the 25th. I only have 1 day to fish so I figure id go with a nice big boat and good captain (Igor or Guillermo). Any tips from you guys. Im just fishing with my girlfriend. How is Rubens boat, prices. Do you know how I can book him? Thanks
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.