BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Questions for the experts.
Monia
Junior Nomad

Mood: Peacefully Remaining

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 12:59 PM
Questions for the experts.

First of all thank you for the great information you provide to us novices to Baja. The last few trips we've made down south have been great and all from info I took off your recommendations, so be proud of your board (even when you are bickering) because, at least for me, it has been a great place to come, learn, enjoy, laugh (kinda like Baja)!
I would like some suggestions as to what would be the best way for my daughter (15) and I to go see the whales at Scammons the last week in March. We had plans to take the RV to Guerrero Negro and do it that way but my husband started a new job and can't go. Some of the tours I've found are sooo expensive. Are there any inexpensive ones.Are there any air charters? We live in close to San Diego border. I would appreciate your help. Thanks again.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 02:45 PM

Are you looking for a tour from San Diego? If not, drive or take the bus to Guerrero Negro. You can make a reservation for the actual whale watching before you leave. If you are planning a weekend trip, I would advise also making room ressies. If your dates fall within Semana Santa....forget it!

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 02:55 PM
Semana Santa

Is the holiday always on the same dates? Quando esta? Gracias, Sharks
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 03:54 PM

Listen to Ted Donovan's radio show tape at:

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/show.asp?sid=126

Lots of good info on whales....:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 04:13 PM

Semana Santa is Holy Week...it is the week leading up to Easter...between Palm Sunday and Easter, so it obviously isn't always the same date but it is always that week!!!
elizabeth
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 04:55 PM
Kuyima

Monia, if you go to San Ignacio, you can camp with kuyima, we are going on 3/22-24 myself, Mrs.ferna and 3 kids.
http://kuyima.com/kuyima.html
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 10:21 AM

Did you like being with Kuyima? Should we stay in the cabanas there or just go back to town??

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 01:22 PM

Stay over it's a lot more fun.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 01:33 PM

Most of the whale-watching tours from the U.S. are quite costly. It is very easy to drive to Guerrero Negro in a passenger car, it is paved road all the way. You would want to break the trip up by staying overnight, I usually like to stay at Old Mill in San Quintin. Comfortable rooms and not expensive. When you get to GN, stay at the Malarrimo cabanas and then go on a whale watch with them the next day. It is very convenient having the cabanas, restaurant and whale watching company right there, they will take you out to the lagoon. Just google malarrimo and whale watch and you will find their web site. Make sure to make a reservation. If you don't want to drive without another driver and you can't talk a friend into going, you can take a luxury bus from Tijuana, if you get a first-class luxury bus they are really nice, even have videos to watch and some have bathrooms. The bus would drop you off at the station in GN then you could take a cab or walk to Malarrimo it is not that far. Another option is to fly to Loreto (roundtrip right now from LAX is $259) and then take a whale watch day trip out to Magdalena Bay. You dont have to worry about Semana Santa this year it starts April 10.

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 05:00 PM

Malarrimo is at http://www.malarrimo.com (tours, motel, RV park, Restaurant)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 08:04 PM

Malarrimo in David K's link is where we took the whale watching trip from. We were a little late in season, mid-April, and there was plenty of room on the whale watching boats both days we were around there. No reservations were needed at that time.

We found the restaurant really pricey! The bar even more so, (again referring to the place in the link).

We got in late, stayed in what they called a campground. It was a bunch of RV sites right alongside one another, almost no space between save for a few feet. We were tent camping and I suppose had we been in an RV we would have thought differently, or at least it wouldn't have mattered so much.

Again, the whale trip out of that place was exceptional.

John M.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.