Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 01:17 PM
LA RIBERA GILL NETTING

Got this from Western Outdoor News Baja Section

East Cape Fishing Report

March 2, 2005, La Ribera, East Cape, Mexico Commercial Gill Net Fishing Report:

The illegal East Cape gill netters who killed the whale a couple weeks ago mended their nets and they are out there right now near our beach. This morning's haul, with 3.5-inch mesh, was bat rays and roosterfish. The locals here are convinced that when violation reports get to La Paz they die by the weight of corruption. The guy is here, the nets are here, the whales, and everything that swims or floats, are being netted here illegally. This is never gonna stop unless somebody stirs up Mexico City, forces them to act directly, not through La Paz
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 02:31 PM
Inshore Gill-netter

If they are illegal and you know Nationals locally who oppose the bastards then I would try to dislodge them through intimidation. Go out there and confront them. Ask to see documents so you can be assured they are legit and if not tell them they are being reported. Don't be afraid to call them on it.:no::no::no::fire:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Go out there and confront them. Ask to see documents so you can be assured they are legit and if not tell them they are being reported.

And wind up as fish food.:biggrin:

Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 03:27 PM

That's what underwater explosives are for. Where is Diver when you need him?

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 05:56 PM

Have Bang-Stick, will travel !

I HATE NETS !!!!

I watched the fish and crustacean population in south Florida get wiped out by netters over the past 15 - 20 years.
Makes you want to get VIOLENT !
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 08:32 PM
photos?

What about taking photos, while the fishermen are there, just to let them know that people are watching and their actions are being recorded. A sort of passive intimidation?

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 09:24 PM
F__K Passive

Get a whole bunch of people and go out and scream and wave your arms at them. Then send a scuba diver out to fix the repairs on their nets with his sharp knife.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 09:57 PM

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 09:58 PM

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy A
Got this from Western Outdoor News Baja Section

East Cape Fishing Report

March 2, 2005, La Ribera, East Cape, Mexico Commercial Gill Net Fishing Report:

The illegal East Cape gill netters who killed the whale a couple weeks ago mended their nets and they are out there right now near our beach. This morning's haul, with 3.5-inch mesh, was bat rays and roosterfish. The locals here are convinced that when violation reports get to La Paz they die by the weight of corruption. The guy is here, the nets are here, the whales, and everything that swims or floats, are being netted here illegally. This is never gonna stop unless somebody stirs up Mexico City, forces them to act directly, not through La Paz

Sounds like someone needs to get over there with an AK-47 and let those guys know that they are not welcomed.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:05 PM

Call in the BIG guns !
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Call in the BIG guns !

Hope their not Mexican, because if they are, they are probably loaded with cocaine.:lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:14 PM
Friggin' Frigates

I don't think Mexico has that many naval ships. Just take a Zodi out there and do donuts around the plunderers.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I don't think Mexico has that many naval ships. Just take a Zodi out there and do donuts around the plunderers.

Yes we do, we have Mexicali class anti-aircraft carrier, nuclear powered, ballistic missile carrying, sub sinking, attack boats, check it out.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 11:35 PM

cool.....looks modern. How many RC planes can it hold??
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 07:14 AM
Gil nets

If you were here you'd be as frustrated as we are. Simply menace him and you lose your right to stay in this country. He has a permit. It's like this: A guy is driving at full speed on the wrong side of the road. When he's stopped, you find out he has a permit to do so. Go look for the guy who issued the permit -- he's the bad guy, the corrupt guy. In this case it's the La Paz office of CONAPESCA. All my reports, GPS #s, photos, accounts go to people with clout. They go to Mexico city, those folks call La Paz, corruption or apathy or mishandling leads to just another day of gill netting for this guy who the local Co op and private fishermen refuse to confront or control.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 11:56 AM
sink em!

limpit mines? que es? I guess it would take a national to make a serious enough bribe as to get some action.....
Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 03:19 PM

East Cape Fishing Report

April 19, 2005, Peter Langstraat, Baja California Sur, Mexico Gill Net Fishing Report:

The last three years I encountered gill nets every time I was at East Cape, at Punta Arena to Bahia el Rincon. Every single time I tried to get some authority there. Sometimes I tried even for weeks and nothing ever happened.

The police at the village of La Ribera say it is not their duty.

Mark Rayor's diving center at Buena Vista has two inspector-captains. However Mark says they are allowed only to inspect the Cabo Pulmo marine preserve.

I've had hotel keepers sending mails to Profepa in La Paz, but they never got any response. According to local Mexicans that is exactly what you can expect from La Paz.

I've had other hotel keepers get in touch with the authority in Mexico City. Well, Mexico City wants "evidence." In other words, they want me to risk my neck getting up close so that I can take pictures of them in action and capturing the names and numbers of their boats at the same time. Mission almost impossible.

I know their names and the names of their boats, but no numbers. I know where these people live and I have pictures of their nets when they were in the water from right near shore towards about a mile out. But still it is not enough to trigger some action.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 03:41 PM

Tommy. I hope that you realize that you may not Win! I give you a lot of respect for Trying,
Suggestion: Go up to Loreto and talk to the people up there. They were successfull in stoping the Netting up there.Not entirely but they put a Dent in the Numbers.
Skeet/Loreto
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 03:53 PM

Use the dolphin to place underwater mines on their hulls....then kick back and watch the fireworks.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.