Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 03:22 PM
SpotX discussion

SpotX discussion
The subject deserves its own thread.
From another thread. It stated here
== =
posted on 7-29-2018 at 04:16 PM, by DavidK

The inReach service is monthly and only when you need it. It also uses the Iridium system which is better coverage, I never had a signal issue anywhere in Baja. I know TW's Spot did not send out west of San Ignacio on one of his trips.
== =
From Wiki:
The SPOT network uses a GPS satellite system to verify a user's location. ... TheGlobalstar satellite phones are using the duplex system. This is a separate system than what the SPOT satellite messenger will use. SPOT will use the simplex side of their satellites.
PaulW comment:
The Spot system is not as good as Iridium for tracker or sat phone. That explains the poor signal reported by the Spot trackers compared to the InReach. Having said that when traveling in deep canyons both systems have lost signal, but the Inreach was less of an issue.
== =
posted on 7-30-2018 at 12:40 PM by KurtG
New 2-way device from Spot:
https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php
Basic full year service is less than I now pay for my original Spot. There is monthly flex pricing but I use my device year round so need the annual plan. How do you In Reach users feel this compares as to features.
I have found that I am now getting signals out of tight places that were a problem in earlier years with my same original device, more satellites perhaps.
== =
posted on 7-30-2018 at 12:54 PM, by JZ
That one is much more legit than the older Spots. The key board looks much better than the InReach Mini.
== =
posted on 8-3-2018 at 08:45 AM, by KurtG
I just got a reply from Spot customer service. They will prorate my current account credit to the new device. Looks like a new Spot X is in my future.
= === ==
Discussion:
InReach Messenger:
With minimum messages My InReach Messenger cost is $27.16/mo
Capable of creating GPX tracks and KML. I use 2.5 sec track point interval to get great GPX tracks -no extra cost for the track point interval you choose.
Spot3 cost is $141/year = $34.50 All you get is a graphical image with points at the interval you choose. 10 Min is the default and what I use. 2.5 min and 5 min are extra cost. I think Norra and Score use the 2.5 min track point interval.
Both my Spot and my InReach have Emergency rescue which adds cost. I need to work on reducing the cost if I keep these two systems.
SpotX basic is 10min track point interval for 11.95. Price goes up for fester track interval
More later

[Edited on 8-3-2018 by PaulW]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 05:13 PM

Is this more of a Spot X vs. inReach Pro & Con list?
Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 05:57 PM

InReach crushed Spot before the X. Ppl arguing you didn't need 2-way texting seemed like they were just digging in because they owned a Spot.

I own an older Spot as well. But the InReach 2-way text is great. The InReach Mini key board is not good. But you can connect to it via Bluetooth to use your phone's keyboard.

The Spot X looks like it has a pretty good keyboard.

Until I learn more, they look pretty even now.

[Edited on 8-4-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

kk6mbh

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 06:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

I just got a reply from Spot customer service. They will prorate my current account credit to the new device. Looks like a new Spot X is in my future.
]

Good to know.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 08:02 PM

Great info, thanks for sharing! I have had a SPOT for years, but am going to upgrade before my next Baja trip and this helps!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 07:52 AM

Companies like spot and inreach are selling you gadgets with subscription plans. Easy to compare those. Difficult to compare the irridium and globalstar satellite systems that are used.

Irridium and globalstar have never made money, been in and out of bankruptcy, who knows which is reliable, or if either is reliable?
Are the sats reliably online 24/7? Are they still launching new and replacement sats? Or are the businesses running on duct tape and baling wire trying to avoid another bankruptcy?
I have used sat phones over the years, always found them to be problematic, unreliable — never Knew if the problems were the transmitters/receivers or the companies like irridium and globalstar.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 01:46 PM

Iridium just launched a large number of new sats (SpaceX). They are expanding greatly to include cell technology. No way to know if the Iridum sats that InReach uses are the same ones that the communication system uses.
Globalstar has the most complaints for sat phones. SPOT does not use Globalstar, but it has its own array of sats probably owned by the same French company..
Read Wiki So I don't have to tell you what they say.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 01:56 PM

Do they use the Iridium and Globalstar for messaging, SOS, etc?

And the military satellites for GPS location?

John
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 03:46 PM

Unless Spot changed my Spot sat phone used Globalstar and it was not reliable. I was offered a buy back from Globalstar for the same price I paid and took it.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Unless Spot changed my Spot sat phone used Globalstar and it was not reliable. I was offered a buy back from Globalstar for the same price I paid and took it.

So, communications are handled through the commercial satellites, but do these units use the military GPS system for location/position? So maybe your position is reliable but messaging may not be?

John

[Edited on 8-4-2018 by John Harper]
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 04:41 PM

I use my InReach on a regular basis, at least once a month and have not had to date a message failure either incoming or outgoing.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 07:22 PM

I've used Iridium based sat phones off and on for 15 years. Always get a signal.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 11:27 AM

This is the reply I got from Spot when I inquired about pro rating my prepaid service:

"Dear Kurt,

Thank you for contacting SPOT Customer Relations.

Here at SPOT we are able to transfer Gen 1 services to the SPOT X. As a courtesy we will upgrade you to the SPOT X Adventurer unlimited plan at no extra charge. Once your SPOTX arrives please contact us to perform the upgrade.

Thank you,

SPOT"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 01:21 PM

Nice Kurt!
Anytime you want another pair of eyes on you for help or questions, you are welcome to add me as other Nomads have with their Spot or inReach devices.
Orange juice is optional! ;)
:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.