Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8  
Author: Subject: holy mother of
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 09:20 PM

david k
Mars? Really? Another place for us to screw up ? While ignoring our responsibility for what we have done here?

I like you. You have conrtibuted so much here. You have much wisdom.

But this post of yours is really so very sad to me.

I know I cannot change your thinking, but the gift life does give us is to think, and reflect.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 10:27 PM

What thinking do you want to change...? I didn't post an opinion. I posted only the fact that Nature is FAR FAR greater than man and while man may make messes and clean up them too, there is nothing more destructible, powerful, and purifying than Nature.

You don't think Elon Musk (or someone else) can get us to Mars? I do, someday. Anyway, if we screw that up, there's always Arnold (as in Total Recall). :biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 07:33 AM

Totally agree David K ... As we have fossil records to support that very fact ... btw the ice core samples went back 650 million years ... think about it

ARTICLEShttps://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-018-0627-y1Museum of Paleontology, Department of Geological Sciences, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, USA. 2Institut Català de Paleontologia Miquel Crusafont, Sabadell, Spain. 3Dinosaur National Monument, National Park Service, Jensen, UT, USA. 4Department of Geography and Geology, University of Nebraska at Omaha, Omaha, NE, USA. 5Department of Biology and Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, USA. *e-mail: brooks_britt@byu.eduPterosaurs are extinct archosaurs that ranged from the Late Triassic to the Late Cretaceous (around 215− 66 million years ago) and were the first vertebrates to attain powered flight. Their extremely fragile skeletons are rare, and their record is strongly biased towards marine and lacustrine depositional environments1–3. The unequivocal record of Triassic pterosaurs consists of fewer than 30 specimens, including single bones3,4. They are known exclusively from marine strata in the Alps (Italy, Austria and Switzerland), except for Arcticodactylus cromptonellus from fluvial deposits in Greenland3 (Fig. 1). Fragmentary remains and isolated teeth in Upper Triassic rocks of the USA have been referred to pterosaurs (see references within ref. 4, as well as refs 5,6; A. K. Behrensmeyer, personal communication), but these referrals have been shown to be unsubstantiated, are ambiguous, or are not yet adequately sup-ported or reported3,5. The high degree of homoplasy in multicusped teeth among cynodonts, pterosaurs and tanystropheids3,4,7,8 makes the referral of isolated teeth and fragmentary tooth-bearing ele-ments to pterosaurs problematic.Here, we present unequivocal evidence of a Triassic pterosaur from the western hemisphere outside Greenland. The specimen, BYU 20707, is from the Saints & Sinners Quarry in the Nugget Sandstone of Utah (Fig. 1). Its significance lies in: (1) its excep-tional state of preservation, which reveals details obscured in other early pterosaurs; (2) its close phylogenetic relationship with Dimorphodon macronyx from the lowermost Jurassic of the UK; and (3) its desert habitat.ResultsPalaeoenvironment and fauna. Arid conditions dominated what is now western North America for up to around 45 Myr from the Late Triassic through the Middle Jurassic9, and desertification produced a sand sea that covered some 2.2 million km2 (Fig. 1). This vast sand dune complex is divided into the Nugget Sandstone (primarily in northeastern Utah and Wyoming) and its stratigraphic equivalents, the Aztec Sandstone and Glen Canyon Group, to the south9,10 (Fig. 1)The Saints & Sinners Quarry is within the Nugget Sandstone, approximately 65 m above the top of the underlying Chinle Formation (Fig. 2a). The quarry is within interdunal sediments bounded above and below by aeolian sands (Fig. 2b). The bones are preserved in structureless, silty fine-grained sandstone deposited in the shallow, near-shore waters of an interdunal lake into which dunes were migrating11. The quarry has yielded > 18,000 bones and bone fragments of 9 tetrapod taxa: the pterosaur described herein, a coelophysoid theropod dinosaur, a medium-sized theropod of unknown affinity, 2 crocodylomorphs, 2 sphenodontians, a drepa-nosaurid and a procolophonid.The Nugget Sandstone spans the Triassic–Jurassic bound-ary but the boundary’s position within the formation is unre-solved10–12. Drepanosauromorphs and procolophonids, however, are known exclusively from the Carnian to Rhaetian13 and Permian to Rhaetian14, respectively. These taxa, and evidences in ref. 11, indicate that: (1) the quarry horizon is latest Triassic (probably late Norian or Rhaetian) in age; and (2) the Triassic–Jurassic boundary within the Nugget Sandstone lies somewhere above the quarry.Systematic palaeontology. Pterosauria Kaup, 1834Dimorphodontidae Seeley, 1870Caelestiventus hanseni gen. et sp. nov.Etymology. C. hanseni comes from the Latin language: caelestis, ‘heavenly or divine’, and ventus, ‘wind’, referring to the volant nature of pterosaurs, and ‘hanseni’, honouring Robin L. Hansen, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) geologist, who facilitated work at the Saints & Sinners Quarry.Caelestiventus hanseni gen. et sp. nov. extends the desert-dwelling pterosaur record back 65 million years

Some species do better than others ... or call it the luck of the draw ... I do :biggrin::biggrin:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-018-0627-y.epdf?refer...

and Bahaman thanks and spot on .. It is the simple point ... WE® do leave a mess ... some more than others and it all adds up ... atoms that is

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by wessongroup]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What thinking do you want to change...? I didn't post an opinion. I posted only the fact that Nature is FAR FAR greater than man and while man may make messes and clean up them too, there is nothing more destructible, powerful, and purifying than Nature.

You don't think Elon Musk (or someone else) can get us to Mars? I do, someday. Anyway, if we screw that up, there's always Arnold (as in Total Recall). :biggrin:

Nice indirect "denier" augment, blame nature FAR FAR greater than any damage that man can make. However, when it comes to global warming, these kind of indirect augments falls on it's face, when looking at all the scientific evidence that global warming is real, and mostly man made from the Industrial age on.

And Wesson wrote:" Totally agree David K ... As we have fossil records to support that very fact ... btw the ice core samples went back 650 million years ... think about it."

I'm always at a lost over Wesson, finding ways to agree with "deniers."

Do you really totally agree with David K?

BTW Wesson, you link is unreadable, go back and put the paragraphs where they belong when you first copied and pasted the article.

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 08:00 AM

Yes... about his point on "nature" having the final word ... "nature" is an evolutionary factors which act on all life ... ON this planet .. IMO

That some do not observe the same "risk" is expected ... as we are human and our indiviudal genetic makeup is differenct along with our cognitive abilities and life experience ... Which is also part of evolution of the human species

I don't get upset if some don't see the same thing exactly as I do ... Free country and everyone has an opinion .. and all part of evolution and/or "nature" :biggrin::biggrin:

btw did you read the article ? ... Here's another good one based on fossil evidence supported by dating methods described in the article :biggrin::biggrin:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/01/oldest-human-out...

Hope I answered your question :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by wessongroup]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 08:05 AM

The more I realize about people, the more I like Dogs....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 08:10 AM
The link works fine on google chrome

Fossil The "link" works fine ... on Google Chrome

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 08:54 AM

Wesson, I can't wait to you find a way to agree with Timinator too.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 09:12 AM

Joe, why get worked up over any of this?
If you think humans are more powerful than Nature (or God) and that all the past 'global warmings' that took us out of all the past ice ages, without humans, you are denying reality, are you not?
It is just convenient for those with a political agenda to say that this 'warming' is human-created because humans can be taxed.
Live clean, enjoy life, respect others.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 09:30 AM

You all have valid comments.
But please give humans some credit for trying to fix this... at least the part man is responsible for.
If you want to know who is not trying to clean up look at China.
At one point China constructed 1 coal fired power plant PER DAY!
The United States of America does not construct ANY new coal plants and is decommissioning coal plants at a rapid pace.
Renewable energy production has never been higher and in fact California produces an Excess of solar electricity. It's a problem in fact. It hard to dispose of and is a threat to the infrastructure we all have counted on to run our lives since we were born.
We were all born into a system established on energy production based on fossil fuel.
Blame you parent, grandparents, etc.
But really... if you feel so strongly then you can send yourself back to the stone age anytime you want.
Just don't pay your electric bill and throw your car keys in the trash.
Put up or shut up.
Please.

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 10:48 AM

Hey Timmie,
I'm hoping you enjoy the Irony of this: So your posts here and responses, and unanswered questions etc, so I have now included them in my Intro Biology classes - under scientific literacy, and evaluating claims made!
essentially , we look at claims you made - polar bear fecundity going up, ice cores show no change "I am an atmospheric scientist" data destroyed, data inaccurate, degrees dont matter - unless your Prager, ? huh? predictions of ice caps disapearing in 25 years by models, model inacuracies (ggod one, gives me a chance to educate them on models,
witholding proof data, updating models, verifying them, accuracy etc) etc etc etc.

and the students themselves do some searching and thinking, about those claims.

guess what? 175 students, and so far every one of them has found multiple logical fallacies in your posts on this subject. 18 year old freshman poking holes in your claims and declarations!

Just thought you would be happy to know you are playing an important role in the education of future scientists! You are the gift that keeps giving - keep up the good work!

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by caj13]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 11:01 AM

Ok since we gonna get college boy about it.
What your refering to is Consenual Validation.
Which means if 175 18 year olds say the earth is flat yet 1 says the earth is round then by shear numbers the 175 people are correct.
So is the earth round or flat....?
I mean we all know that 18 year olds are never wrong... right?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 11:46 AM

Record seawater temperature measured at Scripps Pier

http://sdnews.com/view/full_story/27590431/article-Record-se...

The global heat wave that's been killing us

https://www.dw.com/en/the-global-heat-wave-thats-been-killin...

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Record seawater temperature measured at Scripps Pier

http://sdnews.com/view/full_story/27590431/article-Record-se...

Thanks.
I don't think anyone is denying climate change. We know that is a fact.
Look at the changes in fish species for "Anecdotal evidence".
Albecore which like cooler water now make landfall much farther north. From San Francisco north.
A few years ago we caught them south of San Diego.
I believe the only debate is why?
Manmade (and what percent) or naturally ocurring (and what percent).
If you want to blame someone other than God you will probably try to blame the U.S. and extort money from us.
You ain't getting my money.:cool:

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 12:16 PM

The last few days, according to San Diego's channel 10 news, the water temperature at the pier has been right around 81º.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Ok since we gonna get college boy about it.
What your refering to is Consenual Validation.
Which means if 175 18 year olds say the earth is flat yet 1 says the earth is round then by shear numbers the 175 people are correct.
So is the earth round or flat....?
I mean we all know that 18 year olds are never wrong... right?

No - completely wrong: its "here are some claims made - in their own words. do some research, does your research support or conflict with the statement."
how credible do you judge your sources to be, as compared to original sources by the claimant? (hard, since he has studiously avoided posting any links to data, claims he made etc, But thats part of the evaluation process! validity of sources! it matters!
Thats all - that simple,
You make a claim, you ought to be held accountable!

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by caj13]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 12:41 PM

"The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) has reaffirmed the position of its Board of Directors and the leaders of 18 respected organizations, who concluded based on multiple lines of scientific evidence that global climate change caused by human activities is now underway, and it is a growing threat to society.

“The vast preponderance of evidence, based on years of research conducted by a wide array of different investigators at many institutions, clearly indicates that global climate change is real, it is caused largely by human activities, and the need to take action is urgent,” said Alan I. Leshner, chief executive officer of AAAS and executive publisher of the journal Science."

https://www.aaas.org/news/aaas-reaffirms-statements-climate-...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Joe, why get worked up over any of this?
If you think humans are more powerful than Nature (or God) and that all the past 'global warmings' that took us out of all the past ice ages, without humans, you are denying reality, are you not?
It is just convenient for those with a political agenda to say that this 'warming' is human-created because humans can be taxed.
Live clean, enjoy life, respect others.

David K, I'm not worked up over anything you said, I'm just shocked Wesson, fell for your misdirection hook, line, and sinker. But why am I not surprise, Lobsterman, always did that to Wesson too, before Lobsterman, left the forum because he lost a bet.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
"The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) has reaffirmed the position of its Board of Directors and the leaders of 18 respected organizations, who concluded based on multiple lines of scientific evidence that global climate change caused by human activities is now underway, and it is a growing threat to society.

“The vast preponderance of evidence, based on years of research conducted by a wide array of different investigators at many institutions, clearly indicates that global climate change is real, it is caused largely by human activities, and the need to take action is urgent,” said Alan I. Leshner, chief executive officer of AAAS and executive publisher of the journal Science."

https://www.aaas.org/news/aaas-reaffirms-statements-climate-...

that may be true.....but here in nomadland its what "the World According to David" (WAD) has to say!;)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 02:26 PM

Being an American, I'm wondering how I can capitalize on this worldwide phenomenon. Take Miami Beach. Oodles of money, EXPENSIVE homes, and the place is getting soggier by the year. Ocean water is coming UP the storm drains into the streets. Solar powered water pumps? Inflatable water barriers? Wet doggie alarms? There has to be something.

But I like passive income now that I'm part of the leisure class. Dividends, rents, growth equities, that's for me.

Perhaps it's time for a catastrophic climate change hedge fund. Heck, I would be taxed at lower rate than my secretary. 8^)

[Edited on 8-14-2018 by SFandH]

Pages:  1  ..  6    8  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.