Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9
Author: Subject: holy mother of
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 08:55 AM
Rolling the Divine Dice

Accept and adjust. The Heap Big Sky Guy is running the game.

I often say "Harvey (he likes to be called that by those of us close to him). How is this going to play out ?"

His usual reply is " Bill, No worries, mate. It's all a tease. A brief inconvenience. It will end soon enough and you'll be drinking beer and playing Cribbage with me while a lot of others will be down in the Diablo District shoveling coals into the furnace for eternity. The joke's on them. Serves them right for not listening to you and me. It's all good, man. "

Enjoy the ride. It's all part of the plan.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Funny how the issue of global warming comes up on this forum over and over. Let me say this. The earth has been warming up for the last 15,000 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation

However, according to the article above, many times over the last 450,000 years the earth has been FROZEN, a condition closely correlated with the tilt of the earth's axis. Fortunately (for the human race, anyway) in the last 15,000 years it has been warming up. The question is whether or not human activity is accelerating the current warming trend. I tend to be skeptical of anything the media reports because its the media's job to SENSATIONALIZE. Killer Bees! Tijuana sewage! West Nile Virus! Global Warming!!!! The general population, most of whom are too stupid to realize that tailgating the bumper of the car ahead of them on the freeway will not get them where they are going any faster, accepts as fact whatever they hear on the news.

Even if humans ARE causing the planet to heat up faster, its a bit of a "tragedy of the commons" situation. Am I going to sit in a puddle of sweat while my neighbor runs his A/C at 72 degrees? Will Al Gore stop jetting around the globe giving lectures because he feels guilty about his carbon footprint? Yeah, put that nuclear power plant next door, cut down on the CO2. Only a decrease in the human population will change the situation. And, if you read the article above, the odds are that it will be another ice age that does it, perhaps sooner than later. Ice ball earth, anyone?

I hear you about sensationalized news, especially when it comes to the dangers of Mexico, you didn't even mention. However, I have to ask why be so suspicious of the media, while saying nothing about the polluting corporations, like Exxon, the Koch Brothers, and right wing think thanks that pay big bucks to confuse the issue, because they have a vested interest to do so?

I also don't worry about my neighbors A/C, but I liked the fact that state officials, federal regulators, environmentalists, and Obama, were going to force auto makers to make their new cars average 54.5 mpg before Trump, rolled that back. I also like cleaner diesel trucks, and buses in our cities that burn clean fuel.

So really I don't understand, why conservatives and deniers, want to carry the water buckets for the Koch brothers, and polluting companies like Exxon, or even the automakers like GM, when we have the technology to make this a cleaner planet?

A colorful cast of characters has made a living out of denying the science of climate change. These so-called “experts” often start out their statements with “I’m not a climate scientist, but…” before launching into a series of carefully rehearsed talking points meant to confuse the public on the climate change issue. Many of them are well-paid operatives of organizations like The Heartland Institute, CFACT, and Americans for Prosperity, which take contributions from fossil fuel corporations — including ExxonMobil,the Koch Brothersand their company Koch Industries — who seek to delay or block any substantial government policy initiatives meant to curb fossil fuel emissions or hasten the rapid growth of cheaper, cleaner sources of energy like wind and solar power.

https://www.beforetheflood.com/explore/the-deniers/top-10-cl...

caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

I cut out a bunch of stuff - refer back if you want to read it.

So really I don't understand, why conservatives and deniers, want to carry the water buckets for the Koch brothers, and polluting companies like Exxon, or even the automakers like GM, when we have the technology to make this a cleaner planet?

just a note, Ford & GM have both come out against the rollback of the higher mileage standards. One reason specifically, is because it keeps cheap chinese cars from entering the marketplace here in america. it actually functioned as an effective "tariff" keeping low cost (high polluting) competitors out. That goes away, and of course we can put high tarriffs on the imports - but then again, perhaps you ought to know where GMs #1 market is, in terms of sales! so retaliation - uh thats not something USA automakers want to see!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 12:13 PM

Would you please point us to a specific where GM has come out against a higher mileage standard? I bought a Chevy "Spark" last week, made in Korea....It got 41.2 MpG,on the trip back from Colorado Springs..When I looked this morning, still had a Chevy Bow tie on it....

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 12:51 PM

I may have been premature believing GM, was for the Trump's rollbacks, but I see nothing about what Caj13, claims, it's because they want to keep Chinese cars out of the US market, as some kind of functioning tariff.

The fact is GM and Ford, are still evil companies who wanted the Trump administration to weaken standards, but they fear the roll back because of uncertainty and future lawsuits. The car companies also want one standard for all 50 states, and GM believes their electric cars are the future, like the one Chuckie, is riding around on. ( I can't picture it)

It’s a classic case of be careful what you wish for. Automakers asked the Trump administration to weaken emissions and efficiency standards for cars and light trucks, and are now anxious about just how much the Trump administration actually plans to weaken the standards.

On Friday, May 12, heads of car companies visited the White House, to make the awkward request that Trump not actually give them what they asked for.

In late April, a draft of a joint Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) plan leaked, signaling the administration’s intent to halt increases in fuel efficiency (or CAFE) standards after model year 2021, and to perform a legal end run around California’s authority under the Clean Air Act to set its own greenhouse gas emissions standards for personal vehicles.

Fearing years of litigation from states — including California and at least a dozen others — and indefinite regulatory uncertainty, the automakers were quick to announce that they aren’t seeking such a radical rollback from the current program.

“We are not asking the administration for a rollback,” said Bill Ford, chairman of Ford Motor Co., at the company’s annual meeting last Thursday. “We want California at the table, and we want one national standard.”

https://www.desmogblog.com/2018/05/14/rollbacks-automakers-a...

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 01:12 PM

From what I've read, the main concern for the car manufacturers is a nationwide set of rules. California gets to make its own regulations, with some restrictions, and many states follow California's lead. I doubt CA will rollback current environmental regs even if the Feds do. Court battle coming up?

http://environment.law.harvard.edu/2018/06/california-cafe-s...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 01:14 PM

JJJ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..The SPARK is NOT an ELECTRIC car, nor is it HYBRID...Plain old Chevy ETEC 4banger JJJ spouts this garbage as if it were Gospel...EVERYTHING he says is suspect....

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by BajaNomad]

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 01:22 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Spark

Not all sparks are alike.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
JJJ is dumber than aload of rocks..The SPARK is NOT an ELECTRIC car, nor is it HYBRID...Plain old Chevy ETEC 4banger JJJ spouts this garbage as if it were Gospel...EVERYTHING he says is suspect....

Oh sorry, I got it confused with the Chevy Bolt EV.

I still can't picture you in a Spark, it looks like a very cheap car, some father might buy for his daughter, as her first car.

I picture you Chuckie, in a used Ford F-150, with a Confederate flag flying in the back.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 04:15 PM
Hot Damn

Blah, Blah, Blah.

People seem to find the Global Warming debate a captivating way to establish their political credentials while feeling good about themselves and their pitiful efforts as they bash those who disagree.

Knowing that they will be long dead before there's any sort of resolution to any problems and, therefore, it's something that can be argued until they lapse into mindless senility or stop breathing.

There's a "Snowballs Chance in Hell" of ANY minds being changed.

Which, of course, is what makes it such a great Party debate subject.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 04:22 PM
Breaking news: Hell is cooling!

"Theologians are concerned that the random appearance of snowballs in hell indicate that there is an increasing loss of heat to the Earth's surface!"

Film at 11:00!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 08:08 PM

Find me someone with more credentials than this guy who's not paid a dime who says the predictions of Global Warming are true. He's doing it because he wants you to know the truth. Nothing more.

https://www.facebook.com/prageru/videos/1947083335334513/

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by Timinator]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 11:43 PM

Lets cover, Dennis Prager, first, before I get to that other guy, that Timinator, believes isn't getting a dime, for claiming Global Warming is not cause by mankind.

Dennis Prager, is right up there with Alex Jones, and "Infowars.

Dennis Prager is a neoconservative radio host, professional tone troll, and conspiracy theorist who believes that the United States is a Christian nation, and that it's under attack from "secular leftists" who control the media, universities, public education system, and other institutions. Despite being a fairly extreme conservative, to the point of being a weekly WND columnist, he does moderate on certain issues such as abortion and, to his credit, he does seem to know quite a bit about religion and aspects of United States history.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dennis_Prager

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 04:30 AM

NOBODY cares....about Dennis Prager

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 05:15 AM

Actually Prager's videos are approaching 1 B (yes B) Billion views.

Now back to your B session...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 05:36 AM

Like I said Who cares?Now back to your "I care" nosh

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 06:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

Actually Prager's videos are approaching 1 B (yes B) Billion views.

Now back to your B session...

Not surprised 12% of the world is willfully ignorant. 30% of our country demonstrably are as well.

Add that 30% to Goat's estimate that 70% of us are drunks. No wonder we have problems. We're drunk, ignorant, or both.

John

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by John Harper]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:20 AM

Overeducation is a factor as well.American industry started to decline when MBA's ascended in the management ranks....

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:40 AM

The other nut, William Happer, Princeton Physics professor, Timinator, was talking about on the video, where Timinator, claims, he doesn't take a dime for his global warming denier views.

Greenpeace, busted William Happer, in a sting operation, where Happer, was for sale by the hour, to write a report for them if the money was right.

Get this, William Happer, claims rising C02 levels is actually a good thing!

This guy does have the credentials but he is not a climate scientist, and it's obvious that he is just another hired gun paid to deny the truth about global warming.

Greenpeace exposes sceptics hired to cast doubt on climate science

Sting operation uncovers two prominent climate sceptics available for hire by the hour to write reports on the benefits of rising CO2 levels and coal

An undercover sting by Greenpeace has revealed that two prominent climate sceptics were available for hire by the hour to write reports casting doubt on the dangers posed by global warming.

Posing as consultants to fossil fuel companies, Greenpeace approached professors at leading US universities to commission reports touting the benefits of rising carbon dioxide levels and the benefits of coal. The views of both academics are well outside mainstream climate science.

The findings point to how paid-for information challenging the consensus on climate science could be placed into the public domain without the ultimate source of funding being revealed.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/08/greenpea...

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 08:53 AM
NOBODY CARES ??????

EVERYBODY CARES.

On BOTH sides.

Or, so they say.

And, if ALL of that caring could be brought together in a giant compressed ball of cosmic energy .............................. it wouldn't mean much.

The future of efforts to reduce mankind's negative impacts on the environment will ALL come down to $$$$$$$$$$$ and be decided WAY above our pay-grades.

It's fun reading, though. And, the various dueling color graphs are neat.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.