Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: NOCO GB40 Starter/Charger
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 02:04 PM
NOCO GB40 Starter/Charger

On my recent flyfishing trip to Idaho, I stupidly left my truck's radio on too long (never done that before, but I forgot my portable!!) and it reached a point where all the power shut down. I asked a nearby camper for a jump, but he had a portable starter/charger instead that got my truck going almost instantly. It made me realize that jumper cables are useless without another vehicle. I often park at remote trailheads and coming back to a dead battery would be problematic at best.

Been looking at the NOCO GB40 for use with my V6 3.0 Ford Ranger, seems to have good reviews and probably a good idea to bring along on my road trips.

Anyone carry something like this? Seems like a good addition to a road kit.

John

[Edited on 8-4-2018 by John Harper]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 02:57 PM

I just checked it out on amazon. Looks good to me. The size to power ratio is awesome. Thanks for the idea.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 03:27 PM

I had no idea these have gotten so compact, very cool!:coolup:

https://jumpstarter.io/best-jump-starters/

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 03:35 PM

I have the Micro-Start XP-10 and it works great. I'm sure the NOCO GB40 will work just as good.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 03:43 PM

I`ve had one about a year. Love it as a phone charger and it can start my FJ Cruiser. Can`t tell you which one I have, my son is borrowing it for the next week.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 03:46 PM

I've had a lithium battery in my Sportster for almost 4 years now, never hesitates and instant cranking power. Also, only weighs 3 pounds versus 14 for my old lead acid type. Very impressed with modern power storage!!!

I'm definitely going to carry one of these in my truck! You never know, I had a battery up and die at work a few years ago and got another teacher to jump my truck, but that might not always be available.

John
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 07:40 PM

Any with a Lion battery will start you vehicle with a low batt. Look at the reviews on Amazon
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 07:52 PM

Looks interesting but the 1000 "amp" capacity is surely not CCAs, right?

I cant see this thing turning over a Cummins or Navistar engine. Or can it?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Yes, it can turn over large Diesel engines. A friend has a large farming operation on the Oxnard plain in California and he clued me in on the capabilities of these compact power units they regularly use in their operation on large equipment awhile back. I now carry one on my boat and other vehicles. Impressive development of a very compact power supply.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 06:03 AM

Experience
My buddy with a fab shop has one he bought several years ago, before the latest high power ones you all are looking at. His method is to hook up the thing to a customer diesel truck that would not crank - let it do its thing for about 5 minutes then start the truck. Success every time he needed to use it. Now I have one of the new designs in all my rigs. Compare cost vs amps after reading the reviews - then buy one for each rig.
After a year of storage in the back of my rig I hooked it up to charge it and withing 5 minutes the thing was fully charged. What that means to me is the Lion battery had not discharged much during that time.
My son in law has started 4 dead cars (not diesel) without recharging the thing and it worked every time.
Amazing technology.
BTW, with a tire plug kit and a battery powered compressor along with the jump start device you will be set for travel in the boondocks. Be prepared.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

The gb40 was good up to a 3.0 litre diesel or a gas v8. NOCO makes more powerfull models for larger diesel motors.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 11:00 AM

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a battery source that can supposedly start a large diesel engine, yet is recharged by a USB charger? How long does that take? Four weeks?

This must not be the conventional USB chargers used for electronics, I am thinking?
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Extras like USB ports and a flashlight are really handy as you can use this booster pack to charge your iPhone or tablet several times. On the downside, this portable jump starter doesn’t come with its own wall outlet charger so needs to be charged from either a 12V car charger or USB. You can find a more-expanded version of the review of the NOCO GB40 here along with a great video showing its capabilities.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 12:07 PM

Extras like USB ports and a flashlight are really handy as you can use this booster pack to charge your iPhone or tablet several times. On the downside, this portable jump starter doesn’t come with its own wall outlet charger so needs to be charged from either a 12V car charger or USB. You can find a more-expanded version of the review of the NOCO GB40 here along with a great video showing its capabilities.

There are USB devices that plug into a 110v wall outlet. just put one with the GB40.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 12:37 PM

Of course there are. We all get one when we buy a cell phone. But it's like 5.2v@2-4amp. These must be very different.

What is the charge rate in amps at what voltage? This is probably not an inexpensive charger.

Can you use a conventional 12v car charger if you can adapt down to a USB plug?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 01:21 PM

The wall outlet charger for my Micro-Start XP-10 is only 15 volts at 1 amp. So they probably don't want you doing a fast charge on the battery.
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The wall outlet charger for my Micro-Start XP-10 is only 15 volts at 1 amp. So they probably don't want you doing a fast charge on the battery.

they claim any usb port including a laptop, somewhere around 500mA......they don't say how long though.
cool gizmo for a hundred bucks, beats lugging an extra battery around like I do

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 04:26 PM

I have the Micro-Start XP-10 Consumer reports called it the best at the time.(2years ago) I love it. I charge it off the 110 at home and it is good to go. I always recharge before I go, so I don't know how long they stat charged.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 05:50 PM

I started using lithium batteries in my dirt bikes. Very light and they don't self discharge like lead acid. I have had them sit for 6 months and start a bike, no problem. Perfect for a backup battery. I would recommend packing them so they are isolated from excessive shock and vibration. If they fail it can result in a dangerous situation.

After reviewing the specs for the NOCO GB40, I just ordered one for my boat! Much lighter than carrying an extra battery, and costs about the same :bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 8-6-2018 by basautter]
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 06:03 PM

Hard to believe that something so small can jump start a vehicle but it sounds like they work! I had a "Truck Pac" jump starter, super heavy rechargeable lead acid batteries with heavy duty cables, that thing really cranked out some power but after about five years it lost its mojo.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.