Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7
Author: Subject: Immigration check
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 07:50 PM
Immigration check

Immigration has set up a check for FMM's etc just south of Ensenada.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 07:57 PM

for both north and southbound traffic?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 08:07 PM

Hopefully for everybody

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
for both north and southbound traffic?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 08:12 PM

I agree!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Is it at the military checkpoint between Maneadero and Acambaro?

[Edited on 8-5-2018 by DanO]

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 10:48 PM

That should last a whole week or two.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 08:48 AM

Back in the 70s when we first started racing they had one at the top of the hill on the south end of Maneadero.
We called it the "telephone booth"
Guy sat in there and checked documents
Cannot remember what they checked, it was long before FMM days and you could cross the border with a good spiel of English.

We took a 16 year old kid, son of one of our major sponsors, down for a pre-run and they told us he was not allowed to go on south.
So we did the only logical thing, drove back a few blocks, up the hill and down through the garbage dump and on our merry way.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Is it at the military checkpoint between Maneadero and Acambaro?

[Edited on 8-5-2018 by DanO]
Just north of the military stop...separate immigration stop.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 09:07 AM

Also reported that there is one just South of Santa Rosalia.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 09:24 AM

Just an FYI:
Ensenada office for FMM is next to the Port Captains office, $29.00 for five days

Es Todo Bueno
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Just an FYI:
Ensenada office for FMM is next to the Port Captains office, $29.00 for five days

Just to be clear, you are talking about people arriving by sea to Mexico, yes? If you arrive into Ensenada by car, you are already in violation of the law. Yes, I am sure a whole bunch of people don't bother stopping at the border to do the formality.

For the record, the deal made pretty clear in recent years is that ALL land travelers into Mexico MUST get the FMM at the BORDER because there no longer is a Border Zone or 72 hour grace period in the border zone.

FMM is FREE for up to 7 days (but is to be returned to INM when you head out of Mexico... no easy task).

The pay FMM is for up to 180 days and does not need to be returned. It was 500 pesos last year... or US$30.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 10:45 AM

Just an FYI - People have been fined and/or sent back to the border trying to get an FMM at the port after driving in

Just an FYI:
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 11:13 AM

Just an FYI:

Ted are you saying they would only offer 5 days rather than 180?

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 03:12 PM

My five day FMM was acquired in Ensenada to support the Mexican legal requirements for a trust beneficiary modification.

Other than that I'm an "espalda seca" when in baja, but I do have mexican car insurance from Bernarbe

Es Todo Bueno
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 03:43 PM
fINED

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Just an FYI - People have been fined and/or sent back to the border trying to get an FMM at the port after driving in

Just an FYI:
Ensenada office for FMM is next to the Port Captains office, $29.00 for five

I took a friend down to the port and they fined her 50 pesos. That was the least of it we had go to the Government Bank to pay the fine then go back to the port office get the fmm.:spingrin::tumble:

[Edited on 8-6-2018 by J.P.]
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 03:54 PM

i have been going to BAJA for years and have never even heard of FMMs, but am looking forward to a trip to San Quintin in a month or two to visit my girlfriend's family and was wondering if i actually need one. yes i know they are the law and they are cheap and all of that, but i don't have a passport. i have just been using my driver's license at the border to get home (i don't go that often, and have never been past ensenada), and i have seen on the immigration website that in order to get a FMM, i need a passport. WTF. there is no way every american that goes to BAJA gets one. seems far fetched. advice?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnGaltSpeaking  
i have been going to BAJA for years and have never even heard of FMMs, but am looking forward to a trip to San Quintin in a month or two to visit my girlfriend's family and was wondering if i actually need one. yes i know they are the law and they are cheap and all of that, but i don't have a passport. i have just been using my driver's license at the border to get home (i don't go that often, and have never been past ensenada), and i have seen on the immigration website that in order to get a FMM, i need a passport. WTF. there is no way every american that goes to BAJA gets one. seems far fetched. advice?

Hi John,
Welcome to Nomad!
I hope you can handle the abuse some dish out here! LOL

Here is the deal...
You are in another country and while they may not always enforce the rules, that doesn't give any of us non-Mexicans an excuse to not know them.

The rules up to a few years ago used to be that you didn't need anything for short stays (up to 3 days) in the Border Zone (as far south as Maneadero/Punta Banda). It even was believed and stated by the Baja tourism people to include the entire state of Baja California and up to 7 days! Great for tourism to not have silly bureaucratic rules!

The passport is something the U.S. said they wanted us all to use for ID and a few years ago Mexico insisted we have it, too (to get the FMM).

The rules a couple years ago were modified to ALL border crossers must have a Passport (or equivalent ID) and obtain an FMM (Tourist Card). Free for up to 7 days, or ~US$30 for up to 180 days. The free ones are handed back in when you cross back north (only there is no easy way to do that by car). The pay one you keep and throw away after 180 days (great for multiple trips).

So, does every U.S. car stop at the border and walk into the INM office to get them? No, otherwise traffic would be backed up to L.A.
Maybe they all have the 180 day one from an earlier crossing?

You can get the FMM online or at Discover Baja Travel Club, BUT you have to still park at the border and get the thing stamped to activate it when you go into Mexico the first time with it. Hardly makes getting the paper in advance worth the effort.

Viva Mexico!

[Edited on 8-7-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 05:45 PM

thanks for the info, which all checks out by the way. it just seems so new to me. and setting awareness aside, i guess now it's time to work on my laziness and get my passport. i guess it is different going down south a few 100 miles rather than just some afternoon beers in TJ. better safe than sorry.

and thanks David K for the warm welcome. i have been roaming your site for a few days now and would like to compliment you on it's thoroughness and depth. a lot of good stuff here. can't stop clicking.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnGaltSpeaking  
thanks for the info, which all checks out by the way. it just seems so new to me. and setting awareness aside, i guess now it's time to work on my laziness and get my passport. i guess it is different going down south a few 100 miles rather than just some afternoon beers in TJ. better safe than sorry.

and thanks David K for the warm welcome. i have been roaming your site for a few days now and would like to compliment you on it's thoroughness and depth. a lot of good stuff here. can't stop clicking.

Great to see you! My site is www.vivabaja.com which is designed to help anyone who wants one, to find a Baja adventure idea. This forum (at BajaNomad.com) belongs to my good friend Doug Means ("BajaNoamd" here). I have a lot more data and photos and maps posted here than on my site! ;)

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 05:51 PM

Who is John galt? :o

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.