Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: Immigration check
Royosbaja

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 05:25 AM

8/10/2018 ~ 1030 several miles south of Santa Rosalia

The immigration folks were stopping vehicles and asking for papers. When we were heading back home ~ 1400, they were gone.
Not there on 8/15. Pretty sporadic..
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 05:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
As a conservative, In my 60+ years of travel in Baja CA I too have never been asked to see my papers at any checkpoint.

Perhaps only Lefties are asked for their papers-------they are a shifty bunch. LOL

As a radical hippie leftist, in my 60+ years of travel in Baja CA I have never been asked to see my papers at any checkpoint.

Another misconception about the left.:D

John
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 06:15 AM

In all of the discussion of FMM, ad nauseam, I have only heard one incident where someone actually was fined for not having one; it was a chase team for a SCORE event out in the desert and they had their passports confiscated and had to go to Guerrero Negro and pay an $80 fine at a bank and it cost them a day out of their trip. With that said, the times are a changing, was a guy at Mexicali waving people over to the INM office last year, after 30 years of traveling Baja I finally ponied up the money to get one. Wonder who's pocket that money ends up in.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
In the 50+ years of traveling in Baja...
The 8 trips last year driving over 12,000 miles researching to the tip and even last weeks short trip...
I have NEVER been asked for immigration documentation (Tourist Card or Passport) at any military checkpoint.

Perhaps you haven’t spent much time in Mexico.
I’ve had a number of military inspection stops ask to see passport. The airports seem to always ask to see passport and fmm.

Never in 20 some odds years........asked for immigration papers at a checkpoint......

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 08:56 AM

I was asked for my FMM once at the state line just north of Guerrero Negro and another time at Playa Santispac, officials from Santa Rosalia office were checking all the gringo RVers on the beach, 3 or 4 years ago.

Never asked for any type of docs at military checkpoints.

Sounds like spot checks are going to be more and more common along the highway and perhaps elsewhere.

[Edited on 8-25-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 09:07 AM

$65 bucks for a passport card.
This is good for getting a MX FMM
Will get you across the border north.

Will not be good for international air travel.

$65 bucks....totally worth it to avoid the stains in your shorts when some MX official asks for your MX FMM and you don't have one.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-r...

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
As a conservative, In my 60+ years of travel in Baja CA I too have never been asked to see my papers at any checkpoint.

Perhaps only Lefties are asked for their papers-------they are a shifty bunch. LOL

As a radical hippie leftist, in my 60+ years of travel in Baja CA I have never been asked to see my papers at any checkpoint.

John

-----or, as we all know, many lefties are good actors, which is certainly not a "misconception". :bounce:
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

-----or, as we all know, many lefties are good actors, which is certainly not a "misconception". :bounce:

AND good golfers... So there you have it. The FMM is an alternative fact.

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 12:53 PM

it's funny how everybody on here is adamant about 2 facts: 1st, FMMs are a must and everyone should get one. 2nd, nobody checks for FMMs. it seems that this whole FMM business is low on the list of worries when traveling far. speed traps, road conditions, and shady checkpoints seem to be way more probable concerns. at least that's what i concluded based on everyone's expert opinion. and I don't say that sarcastically. I mean while it does sound funny when the first badge everyone pulls is "40 years of traveling through Baja," who else, or how else, are we going to know other than sharing our experiences. things of this nature aren't exactly in a travel guide and it's not like you can ask a native because what they go through is not what we go through. in the end, just based on simple math, if everyone pays 25 bucks for an FMM everytime they come down here, that's a few hundred bucks. why not just skip that part, and if they ever stop you, just pay the fine. according to all the veterans here, they never ask for the damn thing anyway.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 01:01 PM

JGS,

You buy one every six months if you are a frequent visitor (they're good for 180 days if you request it), as I stated above I've been asked for my FMM twice, and it seems more spot checks are being done.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnGaltSpeaking  
......why not just skip that part, and if they ever stop you, just pay the fine. according to all the veterans here, they never ask for the damn thing anyway.

Because it's the LAW. If you don't get one you're illegal, and isn't tha what all the hoo-haw is all about up here lately? Illegally being in our Country?

Also it's more than just being caught without one and paying a fine. If you get in an accident or in trouble you're in deep doo-doo without one.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 01:35 PM

Has anyone mentioned that your insurance is useless without having proper migratory status?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
JGS,

You buy one every six months if you are a frequent visitor (they're good for 180 days if you request it), as I stated above I've been asked for my FMM twice, and it seems more spot checks are being done.

how many have you bought?;)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
JGS,

Well, I had them when asked.........I may have made a couple of day trips to Rosarito without an FMM, maybe, I fergit, that was 152 years ago. My first trip to Baja was in 2025.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
JGS,

Well, I had them when asked.........I may have made a couple of day trips to Rosarito without an FMM, maybe, I fergit, that was 152 years ago. My first trip to Baja was in 2025.

lol...check your u2u
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 07:31 AM

I was asked for my FMM once at the state line just north of Guerrero Negro and another time at Playa Santispac, officials from Santa Rosalia office were checking all the gringo RVers on the beach, 3 or 4 years ago.

Never asked for any type of docs at military checkpoints.

Sounds like spot checks are going to be more and more common along the highway and perhaps elsewhere.

[Edited on 8-25-2018 by SFandH][/

We had to show FMMs and passports in 2003 at GN bug stop. Always have both, it is not only the law but a show of respect.

[Edited on 8-26-2018 by BajaMama]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 07:40 AM

Do you all know that if you have to appear before a court in Baja the first thing they ask you is your documentation. For a non citizen that means means FMM, Residente Permenante, or Tempory Residente. Without these then you will be deported with no appeal. And your stuff will be left behind.
There are several instances where you might have to go to go to court such as serious accident that you were part of, but not responsible (witness?). Or such a thing as a legal dispute requiring court disposition.
Your FMM is a get out of jail pass and a way to avoid deportation. Pretty good deal for only $25.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 08:37 AM
I just dont get it

Your in Mexico and it is the law to have documentation. Period, end of discussion, it's the rules.

For all you posters who waffle on this, what is your opinion of undocumented people living in the USA or Canada?

For those who do flaunt this law in Mexico you are saying that it's fine and dandy for anyone to sneak into your home country and skirt the law.

What is the difference? None in my book. Play by the rules or don't play at all.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Your in Mexico and it is the law to have documentation. Period, end of discussion, it's the rules.

For all you posters who waffle on this, what is your opinion of undocumented people living in the USA or Canada?

For those who do flaunt this law in Mexico you are saying that it's fine and dandy for anyone to sneak into your home country and skirt the law.

What is the difference? None in my book. Play by the rules or don't play at all.

Laws are made to be ignored, circumvented, broken ,and changed.

I don't think most Mexicans don't get uptight about the rules, the rules, the rules, like many in the states, and many times in Mexico, you have the rules, and then there is also the practice.

The US has the practice too, you're suppose cross back into the US with a US passport, but many US citizens still pass with only their drivers license and birth certificate with no problems, and no you probably won't be sent to secondary like many claim.

What's the practice of many including myself, especially Mexican-Americans, who cross the border often, is to not bother, to get an FMM card when they cross into Mexico, especially by car, when they are making a day trip or even staying a few days in Tijuana, Rosarito, and Ensenada, that are the popular destinations.

Now if you walk in the border, you have to talk to a Mexican customs official, who only really seem interested in filling out a FMM card for you if you're going to stay more than 7 days, and they will charge you a fee.

Most of the time, I tell the official, I'm staying for only a day trip, and they quickly give me back my passport or passcard, and only rarely will they issue me an FMM card, especially when I'm rolling my eyes, and saying do we really have to do this?

Of course, if I'm flying into Mexico, or driving far into Mexico, then I will get the FMM card, otherwise I don't bother, because I know nobody is going to hassle me over the FMM card......but this is how I do things.

Regarding undocumented people living in the US or Canada. I think people should be able to live anywhere they want, and that includes undocumented Americans living in Mexico.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 09:41 AM

"Regarding undocumented people living in the US or Canada. I think people should be able to live anywhere they want, and that includes undocumented Americans living in Mexico."

I really don't care what you think, you are not above the law.

I am not going to debate this and I'm done with any further posting with you on this matter. Unlike some of you posters, I have a life and plan on going outside today and enjoy it.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.