Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: Immigration check
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 05:59 PM

Way back in the day, we are talking 12 years ago, I thought I could get FMM in Ensenada.

They gave me a hard time but I insisted and finally got the paperwork to go to the bank, pay up, return and get stamped. They explained that in theory, they were only there to handle folks that arrived by boat.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Who is John galt? :o

A new disciple.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 06:22 PM

Who is John galt? :o[/rqu

Someone that does not have passport and expects to travel across boarders without a passport and is shocked when told they need proper and legal paperwork to enter a foreign country????
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 06:26 PM

I don't know anyone who has been shaken down for a bribe for not having an FMM, but the possibility is there. It is also grounds for a legitimate citation and fine!

A passport will also give you the option of flying to or from Baja if something comes up that requires it.

Driving into Mexico and getting the FMM can be done with the passport card (also good in Canada) but flying requires the official book form.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Who is John galt? :o[/rqu

Someone that does not have passport and expects to travel across boarders without a passport and is shocked when told they need proper and legal paperwork to enter a foreign country????

I don't expect anything, except for a consistent and fair reality. if i am not committing then don't treat me as a criminal, especially in a country where serious crimes are clearly a bigger issue. would i find it surprising to be stopped at a military checkpoint for something as trivial as a $20 dollar tourist card when 1% of total crimes reported go unpunished and 10% of homicides as well? i think most people would be. i disagree with martial law and resorting to a police state as a means of dealing with crime. clean up your police force and investigate crime, don't just hassle honest citizens. innocent until proven guilty.
and i am not complaining now, nor was i complaining earlier, but my shock is warranted if you think about it. i still do apologize for the reaction though but my boy scout days are over. i am a little too old to be walking on eggshells for governments who are way too quick to jump the gun on messing with me before they would rather do their job. just saying :)

[Edited on 8-7-2018 by JohnGaltSpeaking]

[Edited on 8-7-2018 by JohnGaltSpeaking]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 08:00 PM

Welcome John!

I think it is really important to follow the laws here as visitors. That does mean getting an FMM and having either a passport card (a bit less expensive but cant be used for air travel as AKgringo mentioned) or a passport per se.

Just like we all expect and hope that Mexicans enter our country legally too! They should be so lucky to only have to pay $20! It is so expensive! I almost croaked when my 2 students went for their US tourist visas last December. Crikey!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 08:28 PM

Boss looking guy at the entrance in TJ this adfternoon.
Looks at the form instean of just waveing me through, says,¨do you know when it expires?¨

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 08:47 PM

Sigh.....is Goat the only one to figure this out? "Who is John Galt".....indeed. This is required reading for the republicans in the house per the current Speaker. I'm pretty sure this 'newbie' is not.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 09:20 PM

Who is John galt? :o

Ayn Rand knows who John Galt is . Atas Shrugged . We have been played .
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 09:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Sigh.....is Goat the only one to figure this out? "Who is John Galt".....indeed. This is required reading for the republicans in the house per the current Speaker. I'm pretty sure this 'newbie' is not.

you are unfortunately right. but i am going to stop liking a book because idiots read it too? that'll be the day. any idiot can pick up any book, think he understands it, and quote it, but that doesn't make them experts and definitely doesn't affect the source material in any way. entertaining misinterpretation is a waste of time.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 10:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
Boss looking guy at the entrance in TJ this adfternoon.
Looks at the form instean of just waveing me through, says,¨do you know when it expires?¨

walking or driving?

[Edited on 8-7-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 04:37 PM

went through there august 21 and august 23 at 11 am both times and no immigration checkpoint, just military.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 07:22 PM

In the 50+ years of traveling in Baja...
The 8 trips last year driving over 12,000 miles researching to the tip and even last weeks short trip...
I have NEVER been asked for immigration documentation (Tourist Card or Passport) at any military checkpoint.

The only places have I have been, by INM officials, were at the state border/ eagle monument three times (2001, 2007, 2009) and at the Ensenada airport when I arrived and departed Mexican airspace by helicopter (2014)... plus the old immigration checkpoint south of Ensenada in the 60s to 80s.

[Edited on 8-25-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The 8 trips last year driving over 12,000 miles researching to the tip and even last weeks short trip...
I have NEVER been asked for immigration documentation (Tourist Card or Passport) at any military checkpoint.

The only places have I have been, by INM officials, were at the state border/ eagle monument three times (2001, 2007, 2009) and at the Ensenada airport when I arrived and departed Mexican airspace by helicopter (2014)... plus the old immigration checkpoint south of Ensenada in the 60s to 80s.

So what is your point?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 09:05 PM

My point is a follow-up to John Galt.... that military stops asking for FMMs is not common and INM setting up highway checks is pretty rare.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 09:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

So what is your point?

according to the initial post, the topic was about a separate immigration checkpoint, not the military checkpoint. at least that's why i was interested in the post since i didn't get an FMM. but, of course, all info is good info.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 09:33 PM

Perhaps you haven’t spent much time in Mexico.
I’ve had a number of military inspection stops ask to see passport. The airports seem to always ask to see passport and fmm.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 10:10 PM

As a conservative, In my 60+ years of travel in Baja CA I too have never been asked to see my papers at any checkpoint.

Perhaps only Lefties are asked for their papers-------they are a shifty bunch. LOL
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 11:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnGaltSpeaking  
went through there august 21 and august 23 at 11 am both times and no immigration checkpoint, just military.

Good! Thanks for the report.

I wonder how many gringos without FMMs got nabbed when they had the immigration checkpoint set up. I bet a bunch.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 12:02 AM

Well, it is silly to not have the FMM when we have made the process so well known. An informed traveler would find out these things before leaving his country, wouldn't he? You may be able to freely drive into Mexico, but you are not there "legally" if you don't get your tourist card, at the border, or get the pre-purchased one validated at the border.

It's not rocket science, but you darn well know that for every 100 cars driving into Mexico, probably 90% don't stop to get the card or may think for one day or staying north of Maneadero still doesn't need one?

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.