Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: Immigration check
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
could there be a reason mexico isn't over zealous about checking paperwork? this from Rodulfo Figueroa, mexico's top immigration official in baja.
"This is about putting our house in order," Figueroa said, according to the AP. "If the line becomes clogged up, we will just let everybody through. If we can't check everybody, we won't."

And, I remember a few years ago the TJ, Rosarito, San Felipe tourist business owners were loudly complaining about the FMM requirement because they think it will hurt business by stopping day/weekend trippers from Southern California. I guess they have a point. And please, I'm not saying right or wrong, I'm just stating what I remember.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
could there be a reason mexico isn't over zealous about checking paperwork? this from Rodulfo Figueroa, mexico's top immigration official in baja.
"This is about putting our house in order," Figueroa said, according to the AP. "If the line becomes clogged up, we will just let everybody through. If we can't check everybody, we won't."

And, I remember a few years ago the TJ, Rosarito, San Felipe tourist business owners were loudly complaining about the FMM requirement because they think it will hurt business by stopping day/weekend trippers from Southern California. I guess they have a point. And please, I'm not saying right or wrong, I'm just stating what I remember.

yup...bring back the "free zone", how many of the kids partying in rosarito stopped for a FMM anyway?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 01:51 PM

That makes sense. Have permanent checkpoints south of Ensenada and San Felipe and issue the FMMs there for those that didn't get them at the border.

[Edited on 8-26-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 02:24 PM

Would rather see stiff fines and people being sent back to the border instead of getting a "free" pass

That makes sense. Have permanent checkpoints south of Ensenada and San Felipe and issue the FMMs there for those that didn't get them at the border.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 02:39 PM

I would rather see one at the entrances to Rosario Beach, where the SoCal weekend elites have beach condos and whine about 25 peso tacos.

[Edited on 8-26-2018 by DaliDali]

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 02:56 PM

You may choose not to believe this, but just South of Ensenada there was an immigration check point, and they used to issue FMMs on the spot. It is now used by Federal Police officers once in a while.

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

I would rather see one at the entrances to Rosario Beach, where the SoCal weekend elites have beach condos and whine about 25 peso tacos.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 04:08 PM

just curious, but why do so many people on here want checkpoints and FMMs? is there a civic reason to this, or do you guys just want less people in Baja? i am not being sarcastic or anything, just wondering. i mean before the FMMs, were you guys just miserable and waiting for tourist cards to be implemented?

[Edited on 8-26-2018 by JohnGaltSpeaking]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 04:32 PM
Enhanced ID and FMM

FMM- I don't get one because I want it
I figure that if I get into a crash I better have one or it might be off to the cross bar hotel for a while.

Enhanced ID in California
I went in to DMV last month (yes, with an appointment) to renew my license. When you get past a certain point they want you to take the written test and read the chart...... pretty dumb actually, they ought to make everyone prove that they can maneuver a roundabout and enter and exit a freeway.

Anyway, she asked if I wanted the enhanced license and I said, Of Course.
I handed her my passport card and she said, "I also need a utility bill with your address and your social security card."
I was astounded, to say the least!!
I have not seen my social security card since it got waterlogged in an old wallet and fell into tatters.
So, got my license, and will continue to fly with the passport card, since I was not smart enough to bring my PGE bill and the remains of my SS card.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 04:44 PM

California DMV has a list of what you need:

A DMV field office visit is required to apply for a REAL ID card. Applicants should make an appointment and must be prepared with the following documents:

✔ Proof of Identity: Such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a valid U.S. passport, employment authorization document, permanent resident card or foreign passport with an approved form I-94.

✔ Proof of Social Security Number: Such as a Social Security card, W-2, or paystub with full SSN.

✔ California Residency Document: Such as a rental agreement, mortgage bill, utility bill, medical, employment or school document.

✔ Name Change Document: This may be required if your identity document is different from the name on your application. Such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, other court document.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 06:51 PM

Immigration check points (gestapo road blocks) are much more common on USA side of border. Hell, I get stopped most every time I am doing trips on the 5, 15 and 78. The storm troopers don’t care when I show them my fmm.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Immigration check points (gestapo road blocks) are much more common on USA side of border. Hell, I get stopped most every time I am doing trips on the 5, 15 and 78. The storm troopers don’t care when I show them my fmm.

Neither 5 nor 15 checkpoints have been operative for some time.
Maybe on a selected basis but I have made multiple trips through the past year with no surveillance. Plenty of MigraCars parked around, but not the old slow down and peer in the window stuff.

Still getting checked at Jamul coming out of Tecate however
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnGaltSpeaking  
just curious, but why do so many people on here want checkpoints and FMMs? is there a civic reason to this, or do you guys just want less people in Baja? i am not being sarcastic or anything, just wondering. i mean before the FMMs, were you guys just miserable and waiting for tourist cards to be implemented?

I doubt anyone really wants a checkpoint but they are there so we live with them.

As far as FMMs you are required by Mexican law to have one when you are in Baja. Do they ever get checked, very very very seldom. There is the belief that if in a wreck and you don't have one the Mexican Insurance is not good but that too is not correct. However since the laws of Mexico are enforced primarily by law enforcement officers and they change depending on their mood at the time it is probably a good ideal to get the FMM as a security blanket thing. In years past you did not need a tourist visa as they were commonly called if you did not pass San Felipe or Ensenada. Again it was not really enforced and when it was a few dollars took care of it. The bottom line is get one if you want to or don't if you don't want to just don't complain if you get in red tape by not having one.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

is this jackazz adorable or what! :yes:
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I doubt anyone really wants a checkpoint but they are there so we live with them.

As far as FMMs you are required by Mexican law to have one when you are in Baja. Do they ever get checked, very very very seldom. There is the belief that if in a wreck and you don't have one the Mexican Insurance is not good but that too is not correct. However since the laws of Mexico are enforced primarily by law enforcement officers and they change depending on their mood at the time it is probably a good ideal to get the FMM as a security blanket thing. In years past you did not need a tourist visa as they were commonly called if you did not pass San Felipe or Ensenada. Again it was not really enforced and when it was a few dollars took care of it. The bottom line is get one if you want to or don't if you don't want to just don't complain if you get in red tape by not having one.

there are literally people calling for checkpoints on this forum. look on the previous pages. that's why i was asking. i never understood the hall monitor mentality but it seems they grow up and now want to monitor people's FMMs. hahaha.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 08:02 AM

No worry's on checking fmm as check points are run for less then a week then no more for a year. I was forced to get resadency here. As I ordered new Mex truck from dealer. When it comes in 3 months later they would not let me take it. Without Mex dl. Yes.your better off with fmm but many I know never got them.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

there are literally people calling for checkpoints on this forum. look on the previous pages. that's why i was asking. i never understood the hall monitor mentality but it seems they grow up and now want to monitor people's FMMs. hahaha.

Many years ago, the tourist trade in Mexico was a shadow of what it is now.....the X-pat community was small and the need for a more stringent immigration policy was not a priority....and the need to keep track of who and where was not all that necessary. With Mexico being a transit point for all manners of bad actors from points south and east.....that need jumped up by leaps and bounds.

Now that MX is a top tourist destination and with a significantly larger expat community......MX has determined they need to keep better track of who is where, and to get a slice of the money, that implementing a stronger tracking system, via the various visas issued.

So they are "monitoring the hallways" more and more.
And still.......there are gringos, who either blatantly, or by some ignorance of the rules....don't get one.
No hall monitors......chaos.

MX requires one...to pimp it off as "I never get asked".."I don't need no stinking FMM" is just disrespectful of their rules.

It's NOT your country to do as you please and pimp off the established regs.

Do they need more immigration checks points?
From the amount of gringos who boast about beating the system." Do I really need this" "Can't you just let me go, I won't stay long", It could be a solid yes they do..either down the road or at the border. Not my call.

Although many foreign countries don't require a formal visa on arrival, one IS required to show a passport and have that passport stamped with the allowed term of stay until you must leave.
Visa waiver countries don't require a formal visa.....but DO require a passport.
A Canadian national cannot get into the USA without one......and a USA citizen cannot get into CA without one.

It's the norm around the world....show a passport to enter.
Mexico has stepped it up....and to just pimp this all off is very disrespectful and could result in actions that either relieve you of MORE of your money or freedoms of movement.

If you want to take the ugly American route and pimp it all off, have at it.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 09:29 AM

John, I will try to explain it to you, although you have a good take about all the hall monitors, around here.

Of course, you could also listen to DaliDali, give you wrong information, and just tell you it's the LAW, and if you don't get an FMM card your a pimp.

It all has to do with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), that started implementing rules to strengthening border security in 2004, and really they started taking about those rules before that, after 911 happened in 2001. Mexico, and Canada, also of course is going to follow suit, because all three countries are getting tougher with the rules in similar time frames.

I might add with all the guns coming in from the US to Mexico, to supply the Mexican cartels, I'm sure that also has something to do with it.

It's not because of more tourism to Mexico, Mexico has always had good tourism, although with the Bush near depression starting in 2007 for a few years after that tourism to Mexico dropped, although since about 2012 the tourism to Mexico really increased.

The FMM is important, if you're going to take an airplane into places like Cancun, and in fact, you can't get away without one. If you're going to travel far into Mexico, and stay in Mexico, for some time, you probably also want to have that FMM.

However, if you're going to take a day trip, or even stay in Baja for a week, in places, like Tijuana, Rosarito, and Ensenada, and you are going to drive through the US/Mexico border, very few people, especially the Mexicans, with green cards, who don't have to stop, Mexican-Americans, who won't bother to stop, and Americans who go drive into Mexico often. They will not stop at the border and pick up a FMM card, although the "hall monitors, might stop, although I suspect they probably won't stop, but for sure they will insist that you stop and get one, because it's the LAW!

My son, who recently took his girlfriend without a passport to Ensenada, I asked him did you stop and get an FMM card? He looked at me weirdly, and said, " why would I do that, are you suppose to do that? And he said, he just drove in and wasn't stopped, although he did say, the Mexican authorities were stopping some people, but he didn't think it was random, just who they focused on.

I just laughed, and said, yeah, you're suppose to have one. BTW, nobody bothered his GF, when she came back showing her drivers license and birth certificate, although the rules, say you must have a passport or passcard.

If everybody was stopping at the border and picking up an FMM card, the lines to Mexico, would look like the line into the US, and you would have find parking to stop so you could get the FMM card. Instead, you just have people driving into Mexico, and the vast majority of them aren't stopping in and picking up the FMM card.

[Edited on 8-27-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

ViajeraGal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2018 at 10:50 AM

Thanks DD for saving me a lot of typing after slogging thru this thread solely for entertainment sake, after the first few posts.
Because I was going to comment about the "NO Visa requirement" of so many countries; really a laugh to think that any country does not require a Passport (unless after the initial entry, one is just going to another EU country, but of course a Passport is needed to fly back to North America).
AND, the phrase 'Ugly American' had come to my mind much earlier with this juvenile thinking of whatever one wants to do anywhere, anytime, anyhow is OK! i.e., driving drunk at 2am or 2pm--what about the other vehicle or pedestrian that you may hit???
We who have our Permanent Residency cards of course don't have to currently worry about paying again, but prior to that, we have always endeavored to keep up with the laws and requirements for visiting/living in a foreign country, and nice to see that at least there are a few like-minded people.
A friend of mine was hit by a local crossing the median line, and even with all his paperwork in order, it took 6+ months of dealing with the Police and insurance people
There has always been the phrase, 'come to Baja and be whoever you want to be', which I suppose will never change.

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2018 at 02:35 PM

Yesterday at the check point north of La Paz (at KM 22) INM agents were stopping all southbound cars and checking documents. Just FYI - so whichever kind of document you have, you might want to be sure to have it with you.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-22-2018 at 02:58 PM

I have been asked for an ID before, along with "Where are you coming from, where are you going". I have not been asked for a passport or FMM yet, but I always expect it.

Do you know just what they were asking for now?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.