Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: Immigration check
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2018 at 08:27 AM

Just a quick heads-up reminder. Yesterday and again a week ago, an INM agent was asking for documentation at the check point north of La Paz. Not a problem for us because we always carry our IDs. FWIW, the agent said INM would have an agent there til the end of the month. Interpret that as you will...

My intention here is NOT to start another "it's the law" discussion, but merely to inform. Save yourself a hassle and travel with your FMM or other appropriate document.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-20-2018 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
As Willie said "much ado about nothing."

What am I missing here? It's the law to be documented and what is the problem with the authorities asking for your documentation?

For me they have always been polite and it takes a matter of moments of ones day.

Just abide by the rules and if you don't like the rules, don't come.

I'm sick and tired of hearing this:

" Just abide by the rules and if you don't like the rules, don't come."

If this is the advise you want to follow then do so, but don't expect everybody to follow your advise, because many will laugh at you and your rules manta.

There are thousands of illegal Americans, in Mexico, and they don't care what the rules are.

I also don't care because it's none of my business, nor do I care if Mexicans are in the US, without paperwork.

There are thousands of Americans, that for whatever reason, do not have a passport, or passcard, but they come to Mexico anyway.

There are thousands of Americans, like me that spend most of their time in Mexico, within 100 miles of the border, and don't wast their time to get an FMM card, that nobody cares about if you have or not.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-20-2018 at 09:06 AM

In the USA the immigration checkpoints will arrest and deport anyone without papers. Mexico should do the same. Or perhaps let them stay in Mexico if they pay a 1000 usd fine for not carrying papers, eh? Mexico could make some good money if they went after all the Canadian and gringo illegals!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
California DMV has a list of what you need:

A DMV field office visit is required to apply for a REAL ID card. Applicants should make an appointment and must be prepared with the following documents:

✔ Proof of Identity: Such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a valid U.S. passport, employment authorization document, permanent resident card or foreign passport with an approved form I-94.

✔ Proof of Social Security Number: Such as a Social Security card, W-2, or paystub with full SSN.

✔ California Residency Document: Such as a rental agreement, mortgage bill, utility bill, medical, employment or school document.

✔ Name Change Document: This may be required if your identity document is different from the name on your application. Such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, other court document.

JoeJoe-------A week ago I went into the DMV here in Redding, CA with an appointment for a "Real ID" drivers license and had everything to prove who I was that the list asked for, plus more. They said my "certified copy of my birth cert." from a San Diego Hospital was not good enough, and turned me down. A month before that, my wife ran into the exact same problem, and was turned down! Infuriating, so say the least.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 08:00 PM

I did have with me a 1 year expired PassPort, my Fed. Law Enforcement ID and badge (still valid), my SS card, my Commercial Pilots license (still valid), my valid CA drivers License, my latest utility bill and Medicare monthly reports, AND the "certified copy of my birth cert.". It was the birth cert. that they gave me problems over, even tho the certification itself was obviously not a copy. Yep, it was because we were Republicans, for sure. (-: CA is enemy territory now, I guess.

[Edited on 2-5-2019 by BajaNomad]
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 09:44 PM

actually Barry,
I just got my enhanced ID from California a few weeks ago. The instructions on the paperwork I needed was very clear, certified "COPY" is acceptable - but: according to Ca. certified copy is: "A certified copy of a birth certificate has an official state registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within one year of the person's date of birth. " so I don't think you get it from the hospital you were born in, you get it from the county.
I used my passport, as was indicated in the instructions as acceptable.

But my question to you is: if a "certified copy" of the birth certificate did not work for your wife - why would you think it would work for you?

BTW 4 different people checked my paperwork, and a supervisor had to sign off, I guess to limit the potential of a rouge employee enhancing his salary !
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 10:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

A DMV field office visit is required to apply for a REAL ID card. Applicants should make an appointment and must be prepared with the following documents:

✔ Proof of Identity: Such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a valid U.S. passport, employment authorization document, permanent resident card or foreign passport with an approved form I-94.

✔ Proof of Social Security Number: Such as a Social Security card, W-2, or paystub with full SSN.

✔ California Residency Document: Such as a rental agreement, mortgage bill, utility bill, medical, employment or school document.

✔ Name Change Document: This may be required if your identity document is different from the name on your application. Such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, other court document.

JoeJoe-------A week ago I went into the DMV here in Redding, CA with an appointment for a "Real ID" drivers license and had everything to prove who I was that the list asked for, plus more. They said my "certified copy of my birth cert." from a San Diego Hospital was not good enough, and turned me down. A month before that, my wife ran into the exact same problem, and was turned down! Infuriating, so say the least.

Don’t get mad. Just bring the proper paperwork. Hospitals do not issue “certified” birth certs.
A certified birth certificate is obtained from the county, NOT the hospital.
The birth certs issued by hospital are not official govt documents.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 11:20 PM

Well, my "certified copy" hospital birth cert. worked for getting my Pass Port 11 years ago, so I assumed it was all I ever needed. .

My wife's "certified copy" birth Cert. came from the Country of her birth in Wisconsin, but it looked flaky even to me and they simply would not except it, even tho she did get a Pass Port with it many years ago. I thought my birth cert. would work since it worked for getting my Pass Port in the past, and it is the only one I have ever had, and in addition I had all those other ID's which I thought would surely prove that I was a citizen.

We both now are in the process of applying and getting renewed Pass Ports, and we will see it that will work for us. It's all pretty frustrating, and getting expensive to boot.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 11:51 PM

Barry, you are double posting... Click edit then delete the duplicates if you wish.

Now, about your birth certificate issues... You need to order the certified one from the county, not the hospital. It's an easy online procedure. Better do it before some illegal orders yours first! Isn't that sad?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
I guess to limit the potential of a rouge employee enhancing his salary !

Is this the guy in the rouge golf cart that took out Malcolm Smith?

John
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 09:56 AM

I did get the regular drivers license (not the "Real ID"), as did my wife. The State "fees", which used to be covered with our taxes, are a nuisance, but you are right in that I can afford them. As you said, after 2020 rolls around we all will need a passport or "Real ID" if we are to fly at all, even domestically, as I understand it. My wife and I need passports since we can't seem to get a "Real ID" from the liberal CA authorities. So annoying!!!! I was born in San Diego County, and that is a very long way from far N. CA where I live, so getting a new birth cert. in person is probably not going to happen. Again, very annoying!!

Nice talking to you, and thanks for the advice.

[Edited on 2-5-2019 by BajaNomad]
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 10:06 AM

Barry, you do understand that the real ID requirement originated with the GOP in an attempt to harness what they considered illegal immigration.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Don’t get mad. Just bring the proper paperwork. Hospitals do not issue “certified” birth certs.
A certified birth certificate is obtained from the county, NOT the hospital.
The birth certs issued by hospital are not official govt documents.
JAAA advice from a stupid tourist with red hair Don't get my mad:bounce:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Barry, you do understand that the real ID requirement originated with the GOP in an attempt to harness what they considered illegal immigration.

I do understand, Norte, and I think it is a good policy. What I don't understand is the DMV employees not following their own instructions as to what is acceptable in proving you are a citizen. I think that is petty and vindictive, and the clerk sheepishly admitted that when challenged nicely by me!!! I know, and told her, that I realize it is not her fault.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.