Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Clean up to raise awareness - July 2018
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 08:57 PM
Clean up to raise awareness - July 2018

The other day I took my scholarship candidates on a clean up mission! We went to this lot because it was filthy. I knocked on the door of the house and got permission to clean up their yard.

I went by today, just to see the yard and there are some empty beer cans but no trash at all in the yard - win win win win

rsz_preclean.jpg - 92kB

Here we are when we finished...notice how clean all the sand is!

rsz_5.jpg - 102kB

From there we went to another spot which is always dirty. I clean it up at least once a week.

rsz_122.jpg - 99kB

At the end of the fence is Karime - she is actually in college already. Majoring in translations and I had her join us for English classes and the clean up:

rsz_karime_clean_up.jpg - 101kB

Lastly, quick and easy but constantly messy area. I timed us at 10 minutes. We shall do this once a month for a whole year. Raising awareness is the name of this game.

rsz_3.jpg - 110kB

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 08:36 AM

Good work Blanca! 8^)

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 08:47 AM

Once kids start picking up garbage....consciousness changes ripple out. Blanca you are my hero!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 10:03 AM

Agree!
As soon as an open car window is no longer considered a trash can opening and that the empty container is no more difficult to keep in the car than when it was full... waiting until you get home or a service station where trash cans are... the rest is easy!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 01:59 PM

Cudos, Blanca. Messy houses may be a cultural thing, though. In Mexico City I rode thru the swankiest neighborhood in the city. Two story homes, obviously wealthy people. Congressmen and celebrities touted living there. Their front yards were messy and completely unkempt.

I have faith in the younger generation as they are computer literate and access the internet to see the rest of the world...advanced world that is. They have seen our movies, TV, and have adopted our music and fondness for fast food chains and American cuisine (not to mention dress). There are increasing numbers of young people who are adopting that part of our culture that values education, advancement, delayed gratification, and investment in oneself as a good thing and as a virtue itself. The average family size has dropped in the last generation dramatically.

I have seen progress in the past 15 years. It gets stronger every year. Now, if the government could only improve their lack of efficiency...
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 03:17 PM

I agree that there has been some progress with litter awareness over the years, but there needs to be a lot more!

I spent a week exploring the beaches I could find north of La Paz a couple of years ago. It was the week after Semana Santa, and everywhere I went there were obvious fresh campsites surrounded by litter!

I carry trash bags, and clean around where I camp, but I can't get it all! If things can be hauled in full, why can't they be hauled out empty?

One big concern to me is the official , and un-official dumpsites that are just waiting for a wind or rain event to spread garbage all over the dessert, and down to the sea!

[Edited on 8-5-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 06:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I was told by someone who came into town recently, that La Bocana and Punta Abreojos will each be getting a REAL landfill! I didn't remember the gentleman, but I guess he stayed with us years ago. He looked me in the eye and said "I listened to you when you said that to make one landfill for both communities would not work." Each community will have its own landfill and I am here to work with the cooperative on this project!

What I told him, at the time, is that it is far too far to put trash between the two pueblos - the cost in gas, wear and tear on the garbage trucks and time wasted would be prohibitive. Not only that, for whatever reason, there is a rivalry between the two villages.

Our local dump is a disgrace to humanity. Wonderful the day we handle trash the right way. All over the world. In the meantime, I tell the kids, leave a place cleaner than when you got there. I think I first heard that in Girl Scouts.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 08:19 PM
Sweeping Clean

If the average Mexican can be convinced to pick up trash nothing constructive is beyond reach.

Having seen no inclination for them to do so over the last 50 years of life south of the border, should they be brought into cleanly awareness, no task is too far out of reach. Mideast peace and nuclear proliferation will seem minor challenges in comparison.

Buena Suerte !
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 08:28 PM

awesome Blanca, it's all about idea's and promoting good ones. I remember in early 60's they had TV commercials about litter, etc.... it was quite effective
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-5-2018 at 08:49 PM

It is hard to imagine that any of the youths who have volunteered to pick up other people's trash, will then turn around and toss litter of their own. Good on you Blanca, and may the seeds you cast take root!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.