BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Please help an expat in La Paz!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 10:58 AM
Please help an expat in La Paz!

Help!
Please!
I am at the end of my rope.

The proposed treatment of my bone infection is $US 24,000
Money I don't have.
Haven't been able to work for too long and have exhausted all loan sources.
Tragically my depression has disabled me beyond the wheelchair.
So I am asking you, fellow Nomads for help. It pains me to ask for help, but I am no longer able to get out of this hole alone.

I have been in a brain fog of depression and medicational side effects for more than a year - except the last 2 weeks or so. But I feel like I am slipping back. Before that happens I had to write this down.
My girlfriend Gabriela has tirelessly helped me to stay focussed - but her nerves are wearing thin as well.

So I am asking you to please help, to keep me from becoming homeless.
Please use paypal.com (no fees when money is sent to friends)
my address: harald.pietschmann@gmail.com
or gofundme, if you prefer:
https://www.gofundme.com/zabvh-help-me-please

If you haven't followed the story - here it is:
I broke my leg last year in June. More than a year and 6 surgeries later I am still in a wheelchair. The bone is not healing. Pain has been out of this world. Due to incompetent doctors I still have a bone infection. Just had a chest catheter implanted and will get 2 infusions every day. Each shot is $40, add the nurse and some small items and it comes to $US1,000 per week - for 6 months. Same medicine would be $US 200 per day in the US.

Harald Pietschmann
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 12:50 PM

Boy, what a tragic situation. Are you also asking for help with rent? If so, how much is it?

How much does water. elec usually come to per month?

Positive thoughts headed your way and you are doing the right thing by reaching out. We are all one village when it comes right down to it.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 01:35 PM

Hang in there Harald.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 01:50 PM

So he has a staph infection and a PICC line?

Why would he trust the next doctors to not be 'incompetent'?
Is he a US citizen? Expat seems to imply the US.
Perhaps he should get to the border and walk into Mercy Hospital in San Diego. He will not be turned away.

Rolling the dice on a staph infection that requires a PICC line is pretty serious and the meds and application have better be administered by the best or it's the end of the road. I know.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 02:08 PM

I am German
I have no insurance
yes, it is a PICC line for staph treatment

Mexico has excellent doctors. I had some bad experiences, but those can happen anywhere.

Harald Pietschmann
redmercury
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 03:05 PM

Well, the way I see it, you have three options.

1. You appear to have once lived in the US, so I am assuming you are a US resident. You can fly from La Paz to Los Angeles for around $250, and sign up for your free Obamacare, which has no pre-existing conditions limitations.

2. Once in Los Angeles, for another $710 you can fly on to Frankfurt, Germany and sign up for the German government health care program in the country where you are a citizen.

3. You can remain in Mexico, and probably die before your time, as it is unlikely you will raise $24,000 from a lot of people who do not know you when you have cheaper (and better) alternatives.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 05:27 PM

Have you liquidated your assets? 3 Jeeps and a g wagon isn´t chump change. I believe you also own real estate in bcs? Whats more important your life or your things?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 05:37 PM

Oh man Harald, there must be some options and you have a huge following on your websites www.4x4abc.com I would think. You have helped so many!
Is Karl down there now to help you think it all out?
With all of us Nomads brainstorming ideas... something should avail itself.

[Edited on 8-7-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 08:37 PM

I posted Haralds link on Talk Baja and my own Pole Line Group. I did my part to help Harald in some way.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2018 at 09:04 PM

Time to sell some of your toys.. you are not destitute yet.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 06:58 AM

One option which you may not have considered, or may have, is amputation. Sounds harsh but in reality is a good option. Pain and bone infection will be gone. Kidneys will be happier without the antibiotics. While you are healing you can order a prosthetic leg on E-bay and start living again. Deep bone infections sometimes never get resolved and can return at anytime.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 09:21 AM

Please keep us informed Harald.

My ex, who lives in Brazil, was married to a woman who was German. She got a temporary translation job and went to Germany for 6 months. She found out she had cancer while she was there. She got treatment but died and left my ex a lifetime pension.

I vote for a quick trip home too! Then come back all taken care of and pick up where you left off! Can you swing it?

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 09:26 AM

I vote for a quick trip home too! Then come back all taken care of and pick up where you left off! Can you swing it?[/rquote]

This sounds like a great option. Just looked at his gofundme page, already over $900, enough for a plane ticket to Germany.

Making America Great Again
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 09:30 AM

I met Harald briefly at GOT BAJA café years ago when we were in La Paz. It was a quick meet since Les was in a hurry, as always!

Harald was healthy then and he will bounce back, right Harald?

Come visit La Bocana

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I met Harald briefly at GOT BAJA café years ago when we were in La Paz. It was a quick meet since Les was in a hurry, as always!

Harald was healthy then and he will bounce back, right Harald?

He is a strong guy and determined!

When I met Harald, the 2015 Pole Line Road trip, hosted by Ken Cooke:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 10:05 AM

Harald, I am sorry to hear that the healing is not happening, I was thinking that you were back on your feet a while ago! I can help a bit, do you prefer a direct PayPal contribution, or would you like me to use the go fund me program?

As far as flying, I will bet that your doctors would advise against it with your medical situation, and the airlines may not even allow it. I hope you are successful in raising the funds (quickly) to start treatment where you already have a home, and at least a modicum of support!

Take care, and stay hopeful!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Harald's 4x4s are tools of his trade, not toys! Check out the link to his site, and remember that European guests don't always bring their own vehicles;

http://www.baja101.com/Baja-California-Nature-Trips/index.ht...

Would you tell a wrangler to get rid of his pets? He will need his tools when his leg heals.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Harald's 4x4s are tools of his trade, not toys! Check out the link to his site, and remember that European guests don't always bring their own vehicles;

http://www.baja101.com/Baja-California-Nature-Trips/index.ht...

Would you tell a wrangler to get rid of his pets? He will need his tools when his leg heals.

thank you for your kind and understanding words.

There are a few things that I can indeed sell - have been wanting to sell them. But anyone who ever suffered from depression knows that answering mail might take months. Thinking of creating an ad for the things for sale gives me an instant panic attack.
It took me months to ask for help with this campaign. Be gentle with me - please.

I realize there are things I could have and should have done differently. I didn't. I effed up. That is why I need help.

I used to be the one who organizes everything. I was the one who started help actions for others. I initiated and funded a project to build a new house for one of my Mexican neighbors after Odile. You have no idea how useless I feel now.

My body pinned in a wheelchair and my brain strangled by depression is especially hard for someone who could never sit still for longer than 30 minutes. I need help amigos!

Harald Pietschmann
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 11:55 AM

as a retired orthopedic surgeon I would have to advise to put the cigar away. Tibias don't heal well as it is, and tobacco of ANY sort delays, if not stops healing.

If you don't want to help yourself, quit asking for others to support you, while you post pictures of yourself making it impossible for you to heal.

I am now quite sure your comments about incompetent doctors is BS. You my friend are an incompetent patient.

Sorry, but I have had many patients in my career that would not help themselves exactly this way....and in typical human manner, it was always the doctors fault.

Stop blaming others and start helping yourself.

Cut the leg off and buy a second hand prosthetic as you will not heal.

Just sayin
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2018 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
as a retired orthopedic surgeon I would have to advise to put the cigar away. Tibias don't heal well as it is, and tobacco of ANY sort delays, if not stops healing.

If you don't want to help yourself, quit asking for others to support you, while you post pictures of yourself making it impossible for you to heal.

I am now quite sure your comments about incompetent doctors is BS. You my friend are an incompetent patient.

Sorry, but I have had many patients in my career that would not help themselves exactly this way....and in typical human manner, it was always the doctors fault.

Stop blaming others and start helping yourself.

Cut the leg off and buy a second hand prosthetic as you will not heal.

Just sayin

gave up alcohol and cigars 8 moths ago - old picture

thank you for your encouraging words anyway.

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.