Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spare tires
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 12:04 PM
Spare tires

We have discussed compressors, plug kits, and jump start devices.
What to do on your late model car and you are el Crucero and you find you have sliced the sidewall on a tire?

Been worried about driving in Baja with a temporary spare. If I cut a sidewall then I have to drive 50MPH all the to an unknown place down the road to get a replacement tire. Buying the replacement tire in Baja is questionable. For sure on a modern car the tire size is probably unknown in Baja. And Yes, I know I can have one imported and wait and wait.

Car came with a temporary spare. I will discard it and replace with a steel wheel and a proper size tire. Discount tire has in stock steel rim /tire and they accommodated me here in Colorado for 199.04
Important
Already did the fit check and yes a full size tire does fit in the tire well.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 12:11 PM

Be aware
Some new cars come with no spare, instead they give you an inflation can with sticky stuff to fix a slow leak. I also read that some of these cars with no spare the dealer may offer you a spare tire kit. (probably it will be a temporary version?)
Would want one of these cars in Baja?

I had a 2013 car and the spare tire well would not even fit a full size tire without a DIY modification. The issue is what do you do with the flat tire when you install the temporary spare.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 12:13 PM

I think your odds of finding a replacement tire in Baja would be pretty good. Unless you have some really big rims and low profile tires. Not to mention, llanteras are common and even a used tire would work in a pinch. With all the autos manufactured in Mexico today, I doubt there is much difference in tire options. It's not like they have to bring tires down by mule trains.

Perhaps your next tire purchase pick a size that is more common. I would think having a 15" rim would give lots of options in case of emergency, maybe larger vehicles (than my Ford Ranger) have a standard 16" or maybe 17" that you could also count on finding many variations of.

I just put a common size, 235/75-15 on the standard steel rims. No fancy rims with a diameter different from my stock spare.

John

[Edited on 8-9-2018 by John Harper]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 12:27 PM

Risky business to do a lot of Baja driving without a full-sized spare. At least for unlucky me, I get a lot of flats - screws, nails, etc. even a cactus spine through the sidewall once. Every winter trip I get at least one flat.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 12:37 PM

Another reason I love the Toyota Tacomas ... full size, regular all-terrain spare, identical to what comes on the truck. Any 4WD vehicle sold should have a full size spare... using 4WD demands it and the trail you are on may as well.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 01:00 PM

My wife's Acura has one of those small spare tires but I don't drive it to Mexico. Both my trucks have two spare full size tires same size as what's on the truck.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 01:16 PM

Full size spare,compressor and a tire repair kit always .
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Full size spare,compressor and a tire repair kit always .

Bingo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 02:10 PM

At some point it would be time to take stock of where you want to go and how much you like to go there. For those of us that have made the choice that Baja is essential in our life then we don't use a vehicle that wont reliably get us there. I know it was small truck bigger truck, etc. till I got the deal that would work for the conditions I would encounter. If you are strictly a highway, paved road guy then do what was suggested above. If not then you need a more "robust" vehicle with serious tires.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 02:27 PM

One benefit of running around in a small suv, is my full size matching spare on the tailgate. I also set up my utility trailer with matching rims and tires, so I am rolling down the road with eight matching wheels!

On a trip two years ago, I wound up with about a half dozen cactus spines in the sidewall of one of my tires. I found a used tube in Los Barriles (there were no new ones in town) and that saved me the hassle of finding a matching tire in Baja.

An inner tube is now part of my travel gear, just in case!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 07:10 PM
spare tire

I have lived in the Ensenada area 15 years and travel south often as far as tires go it's about 50/50 where I purchase then U.S.or here not that much difference in price or availability of brand or size
I can count on one hand the number of flats that I had. I recently purchased a set of B.F.G's for my Wrangler at Costco in Ensenada.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 06:30 AM

The last time I bought new tires I also bought a cheap rim, and had the best old tire put onto it. I be-bop around baja with a full sized spare strapped to my roof rack, because I do not want to attempt to drive 600 miles on a donut. My tires are weird size so I know finding one SOB will be difficult. And a compressor. For some reason off roading in my Acura MDX reeks havoc on my tires.

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by BajaMama]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
For some reason off roading in my Acura MDX reeks havoc on my tires.

I have the same problem with my Ferrari.

John
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Another reason I love the Toyota Tacomas ... full size, regular all-terrain spare, identical to what comes on the truck. Any 4WD vehicle sold should have a full size spare... using 4WD demands it and the trail you are on may as well.

Same with my Tundra. I also go with a second full size either in the bed or on the roof. May be overkill.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 10:50 AM

What truck does not come with a full size spare?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 10:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

LOL... Some here think only a cheap Toyota can navigate the "wild" Baja... :lol:
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

LOL... Some here think only a cheap Toyota can navigate the "wild" Baja... :lol:

The mean girls are at it again.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

The mean girls are at it again.

Wasn't trying to hurt any sensitive feelings;)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.