BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: What to do with Garbage?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 07:33 PM

Minnow=me no?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 09:11 PM

I like to think of myself as BajaHeartBreaker:lol: garbage? burn it.

and don't ever tell JZ he lives in the san fernando valley!

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by willardguy]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 09:23 PM

No different then my town they burn the trash at night. We call the cops as the law in town no trash burning. Chief said I cant lock um up for burning trash. Jail cant hold all the towns people.:)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-9-2018 at 10:30 PM
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 04:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Jail cant hold all the towns people.:)

That's what gallows are for!

John
Ron_Perry
Junior Nomad

Mood: yearning for baja

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 05:51 AM

For me to address this issue, it helped when I visited the Los Cabos dump site, east of San Jose del Cabo. What a environmental disaster! This dump site server the entire Los Cabos area.
After camping at Nine Palms for three weeks about 8 years ago, I took all my trash to this dump site. I was so shocked it moved me to embrace a change.
First...beer. I only buy Pacifico or Corona bottles, as they are recyclable. I do not drink soda, but when my daughters or family did, it would be in recyclable bottles, no plastic or disposable bottles.
My family eats a good diet, lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, grains, etc. I try to avoid foods from a can.... it is easier that is sounds. All family members are fit and trim....two daughter and my wife.
A strong effort to avoid all plastic and cans goods is not that hard. When camping, I have two garbage cans, one for burnable paper items, one for plastics. I DO burn plastics in a separate fire pit....but I am not sure if this is the right way to go. Better to have in in the air than on the ground? Not sure.
I also learned to leave a campsite cleaner than when you arrived at a very young age. For those who would criticize this approach, so be it...it is not for everyone.
I just spent three weeks camping at La Ventana, had minimal trash, and was shock at how clean the campsite was AND the boat launch was...about 100 yards down from the campsite. This boat launch is used by the local commercial fisherman.
My two cents, Thanks, Ron
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 06:39 AM

The bus stops have trash cans. Seriously, leave garbage on the beach to avoid two minutes of trash smell in the back of a pick up. WTF?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 06:50 AM

Ron, that is great that it is so clean at La Ventana!

Yes, visiting the dump here in town, the first time, brought me to tears.

For many years, we separated out plastic, washed it all and bagged it. Whenever we went to santa rosalia, we hauled it, they were sending it to China. They stopped abruptly last year. It is so so soooooooooooo hard for me to put plastic into our regular trash.

I heard that if you put a head of lettuce in the dump, with trash piled on top, it takes over 25 years to decompose. How sad is that? We are so lucky that most of La Bocana collects organic waste in buckets which are picked up by pig owners fattening up their porkers. win win

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ron_Perry  
For me to address this issue, it helped when I visited the Los Cabos dump site, east of San Jose del Cabo. What a environmental disaster! This dump site server the entire Los Cabos area.
After camping at Nine Palms for three weeks about 8 years ago, I took all my trash to this dump site. I was so shocked it moved me to embrace a change.
First...beer. I only buy Pacifico or Corona bottles, as they are recyclable. I do not drink soda, but when my daughters or family did, it would be in recyclable bottles, no plastic or disposable bottles.
My family eats a good diet, lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, grains, etc. I try to avoid foods from a can.... it is easier that is sounds. All family members are fit and trim....two daughter and my wife.
A strong effort to avoid all plastic and cans goods is not that hard. When camping, I have two garbage cans, one for burnable paper items, one for plastics. I DO burn plastics in a separate fire pit....but I am not sure if this is the right way to go. Better to have in in the air than on the ground? Not sure.
I also learned to leave a campsite cleaner than when you arrived at a very young age. For those who would criticize this approach, so be it...it is not for everyone.
I just spent three weeks camping at La Ventana, had minimal trash, and was shock at how clean the campsite was AND the boat launch was...about 100 yards down from the campsite. This boat launch is used by the local commercial fisherman.
My two cents, Thanks, Ron

If it has a label.... don't eat it.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:30 AM

What is sad here on the Central Coast is that many of the recycle companies have gone out of business over the past 2-3 yrs. One of the largest and most established closed it's doors unexpectedly last year. The few that remain open have long lines, many people are left no alternative but to throw the plastic, metal etc in the trash or take it to the dump/land fill.

Making America Great Again
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 08:18 AM

Up until January of this year, China accepted recyclable trash from countries around the world. Not anymore. It's causing huge problems for recyclers that used to ship the garbage to China. There's no place to get rid of the stuff. Maybe that's why recyclers are closing down.

https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/recycling/blogs/soon-cant-ship...

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 09:05 AM
Somebody else's Problem

The whole idea of shipping off stuff to foreign countries with lax controls is a "solution" that's 180 degrees off. Developed countries should be keeping the crap within their own countries where they have legal control over the recycling processes rather than turning their backs.

Years back, watching a drama set in Great Britain, there was a police hunt scene in a HUGE dockside recycling yard filled with many thousands of refrigerators that were being shipped off to China because of "tight" domestic environmental regulations. A scene which could, no doubt, be repeated hundreds (or thousands) of times throughout the developed world.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Up until January of this year, China accepted recyclable trash from countries around the world. Not anymore. It's causing huge problems for recyclers that used to ship the garbage to China. There's no place to get rid of the stuff. Maybe that's why recyclers are closing down.

https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/recycling/blogs/soon-cant-ship...

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by SFandH]

I did not know this, good info.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 01:37 PM

What do you mean throw it down a well you dirty bastard!! Can't put a trash bag in the back of a pickup for an hour?? OK I get that was a TROLL, but its a good question. For camping, I take everything with me when I leave. Used to burn it, but, eh, all that smoke and everything. I put a trash bag in a 5 gallon bucket. When it gets full zip tie it and put a clean bag in the bucket. Disposal of the trash usually occurs at the next motel we stay at, behind a Pemex, or in one of the trash cans that are provided along the toll road. Any bottles and cans are mixed in, if they have any economic value somewhere along the line someone will find them and recover them for recycling.

Landfills are sort of the universal whipping boy, but to me a properly operated sanitary landfill is a thing of beauty. It is a centralized place where all the trash can go without being spread across the land, the beaches, and the sea. Cheap to operate, safe, and occupying a small footprint. I agree the best thing is to not make all that trash in the first place. But I would rather see it buried locally in a proper landfill than shipped to a 3rd world country so it can end up on THIER beach.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGroundBreaker  

I just kind of want to be like the locals. You know, when in Rome?

I wonder whether you would you want to live like locals as well. And/or have a country trashed up to the limits and beyond. Btw, ancient Romans invented trash collection. "Collect"... doesn't ring any bells? Good Lord...

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Can't put a trash bag in the back of a pickup for an hour?? OK I get that was a TROLL,

Maybe it was. Didn't cross my mind. Though, narrow mindedness of (vast majority) of people is not to be underestimated.

Double bags work well for me.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 03:11 PM
For what it is worth....

The OP has been banned, yet this thread lives on!

I am guessing that his (or her) downfall was trolling other threads, instead of just milking this one for what could be stirred up!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 05:59 PM

I notice 2 kinds of trolls - those with a weird idea of fun, and - don't know how to call them - "professional bloggers", fishing for material to fill their dumb page.

Both kinds start with a post guaranteed to trigger a lot of response, some statement/question either utterly naive or completely wrong. Or - both.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 06:51 PM

All things "troll" aside, My best Baja pal, VW Westy Syncro guy, has a swell device that hooks on to his exterior spare tire called a TRASHEROO. Seems to be critter proof as well. (I cheat and use his) They are so roomy that it helps stoke ones incentive to pack it out.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:05 PM

Sometimes when Duty calls and I have to use my 5 gal. bucket lined with a tall kitchen trash bag ( with the rim of said bucket lined with pipe insulation, for a comfortable seating experience )

I need to double bag the excreted remains of the delicious food that was consumed the previous day, tacos, chili's and all...

Otherwise a wicked bad smell emanates throughout the surrounding area.
Plus, it has a way of calling any rogue coyote's within a mile of two....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Can't put a trash bag in the back of a pickup for an hour?? OK I get that was a TROLL,

Maybe it was. Didn't cross my mind. Though, narrow mindedness of (vast majority) of people is not to be underestimated.

Double bags work well for me.

Yep, he was a troll but ended up getting some good info here. Back fired, knucklehead.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.