BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: What to do with Garbage?
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 08:07 AM

Burn what you can. Burn cans to clean them out, pick the cans out of the fire and pack them out. Easy and no garbage smell!
Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 09:35 AM

I camp in remote coastal areas for more than a week at a time. Sometimes I go for three weeks. Soon, I will start taking 3-5 week trips. I've always burned my trash each night in my camp fire. This includes plastic wrappers, paper, lemon peels, banana peels, etc. I will put the apple cores and vegetable scraps out over night (away from my camp) so critters can eat them.

I never bring ANY glass into Baja - only cans, which are easy to crush to make smaller. I pack-out all my non-burnables (including cans, aluminum foil, egg shells and dead batteries). I use a lot of re-usable Tupperware type containers for things like oats, cereal, dried fruit, etc. I bring my empty green propane cylinders home because I refill them.

Yes, I'm aware that burning trash is going to upset some folks on this forum. There's always going to be a purist who's even more extreme than another purist. To that, I would say that if you are uptight about burning trash at night, then to be consistent in your environmentalism, you should pack-out your feces instead of burying it. 21 days of human excrement shouldn't be a big deal to bring home ...
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 10:02 AM

" 21 days of human excrement shouldn't be a big deal to bring home ..."

PooPoo is an organic substance and is a delightful treat for the Coyotes .. YumYummm....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 10:18 AM

And what's with leaving disposable diapers on the beach? You now have paper, plastic and poop to deal with!

I say double up the diaper, duct tape the legs and waist, and the urchin can wear it until they get home again!:light:

(now don't get all serious on me, this post started out as a troll!)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
And what's with leaving disposable diapers on the beach? You now have paper, plastic and poop to deal with!

I say double up the diaper, duct tape the legs and waist, and the urchin can wear it until they get home again!:light:

(now don't get all serious on me, this post started out as a troll!)

Quick question, who's leaving disposable diapers on the beach? Oh wait, never mind, just figured it out.

Making America Great Again
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 09:01 PM
Diaper Discarders .........................

................. Have already damaged the environment by having a KID.

One of the most destructive social and environmental acts Human Beings commit.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 06:11 AM

I picked up and hauled out a couple diapers from the falls above MSR last April. Disgusting. I'm glad I brought some trash bags after seeing the place the year before.

John
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 08:56 AM

Plastic is a huge problem which for us has just gotten much worse because of China's new policy not to reprocess foreign trash. China was trying to make a go of making new plastic stuff out of old plastic stuff. It didn't work for several reasons. And, now that the average Li Wang is becoming a prolific garbage generator, they have a major headache with their own garbage.

Read about it here: https://tinyurl.com/ybfm5uae

It's a good thing that beer isn't sold in plastic bottles.

Ban single-serving plastic bottles.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 09:49 AM
Plastic is NOT the Problem

People are the problem.

Plastic is Fantastic.

Develop far better recycling processes and adequately enforce harsh laws with stiff fines against those who act irresponsibly. Dedicate the money raised to cleanup programs.

"Education is NOT the answer. FEAR is !

"If you Pollute, we'll take your Loot !"
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 10:13 AM

Burning plastic in a campfire is not a good idea. It takes a long time to burn out completely and that black smoke emanating from the plastic is carcinogenic. I've roasted hot dogs in public campfire pits in the Sierras that were completely black due to plastic residues left in the campfire, which burned with the wood we added. If you're going to burn plastic I would do it somewhere far from where anyone camps. Recycling is the way to go but a month's worth of plastic is a lot to haul around.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 10:18 AM

I take mine to Blvd, 2000 and throw it out the window.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
I take mine to Blvd, 2000 and throw it out the window.

:lol:
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 10:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
................. Have already damaged the environment by having a KID.

One of the most destructive social and environmental acts Human Beings commit.

In your case, I'd have to agree. Would probably have been best had your parents not reproduced.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 07:00 AM
Those Like ME ..................... Should be the Goal

Having lived a responsible productive life working since teen times, serving in the military and spending my entire working life at a variety of tech careers without (any) government assistance, my contributions are the ideal.

Conservative, ecologically responsible and unhindered by racial bias (other than a normal distrust of those Muslim Crazies), my existence has been a BIG net + for the social fabric.

The only people that I've done harm, including shot (or shot at) deserved it.

If you be like ME, you make the world better.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 07:45 AM

It's just as easy to take the plastic trash either back to the US to recycle or to Santa Rosalia (if they still recycle). Take glass home they don'e recycle in Baja unless deposit bottles.
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 08:30 AM

My father would give us burlap sacks (no plastic in those days) and send us out into the bush or dunes depending. If you could not come back with a half filled sack then you got latrine duty. No we didn't pack out the poop. After breaking camp any poor trash scroungers were not allowed to light off the last of the fire crackers. Final dress was a bamboo rake. To this day a now carry a new fangled metal grass rake for the fine stuff.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 09:16 AM
When Possible Take More Out .......................

................... Than you brought in.

Granted, in isolated areas of Baja that can be a challenge that requires the Bury/Burn choice, but one should maintain control of their own refuse for as long as it's practical. If nothing else, each couple (or few) days of travel, a reasonable disposal point may be encountered.

It's a practice that we've ALWAYS followed.

Even back at home we make a point of recycling everything that qualifies and often clean up after others. When we go out to the desert to shoot on BLM land (an especially dirty area), we take a 30-gallon container which we make sure is filled when we leave. When up at our campground, we haul home our recyclables and spent gas cylinders for eventual proper disposal with the county on their 3rd Saturdays collection.

It takes so little effort that one is justified in holding those in contempt who don't.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 11:10 AM
Dante's Inferno

You can't see this from the highway. I was attracted to it by a very large flock of vultures circling above. It looked much worse that time. Smoke everywhere and flames in that black pit.

Santa Rosalia's waste disposal site:

IMG_0936_nomads.jpg - 240kB
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 02:31 PM

Cool picture of a burn pit, Skipjack Joe. Many people might be horrified by that, to me it is a nice example of "putting all the trash in one place" in the interest of protecting public health and the rest of environment. Not the greatest design; the bowl design would trap rainwater but bear in mind we are talking third world, if people can get their trash in a can and have it picked up to some centralized landfill major accomplishment.

[Edited on 8-13-2018 by bajaric]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Quick question, who's leaving disposable diapers on the beach?

Locals. Saw a huge pile of them once, traveling in a kayak. Tried to burn, but they don't burn well. Lots of glass too.

And, what pangeros leave behind in any accessible cove, is mind-boggling. Anything from old batteries or a pile of motor oil containers to some old sneakers or flip-flops. 20-25 years ago they began using toilet paper, but the need to burn or pack it out still remains to be discovered.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.