BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Santo Tomas hotel recommendations
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 06:11 PM
Santo Tomas hotel recommendations

hi everyone. was wondering if there were any sort of accommodations in Santo Tomas?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 09:44 PM

Yes, the El Palomar... at the restaurant/bar/curio store next to the gas station... Across the highway is the huge campground, also called El Palomar. Km. 50.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 09:47 PM

Do not stay at El Palomar motel nasty bugs in the rooms. All the simi trucks J brakes spend the night in Ensenada or San Vicente.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 09:55 PM

I stayed in the El Palomar motel in September 2001 when my pickup trucks transmission left me stranded in the Sierra Mártir. My friends Dan and Andrew (rip) stayed there one night. No bugs at the time. A Mercedes Benz was parked in the back parking lot with some original artwork inside of it. Good memories.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 04:46 AM

Nickname is the scorpion hotel. Not sure why. Never stayed there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 05:44 AM

Wow... okay then, San Vicente (Km. 90) is 25 miles south and has The El Camino Motel (left side of the highway, south of town center). There are others, Larry (bajatrailrider) can advise.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Nickname is the scorpion hotel. Not sure why. Never stayed there.
Most bike riders have reported Scorpions in bed sheets. That's only half the racket from the big trucks. Also in summer Months hell hole of heat.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:18 AM

El Palomar restaurant is the only place in baja that made me sick. Whoa! 2 days of agony starting 3 hours after lunch there.
Stay away!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:26 AM

I didn't see any bugs when I stayed there, but hot water was a pipe dream.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:30 AM

If you stay there hire an armed guard...My dog was stolen while we were eating lunch..returned after paying 200 bucks....WITH ALL FOUR FEET WIRED TOGETHER

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 08:00 AM

Palomar...only hotel in Baja that I ever left early. I about froze one February, and despite blankets of questionable cleanliness and the promise of a space heater...delivered around midnight and didn’t work... I left around four am, preferring to take my chances on the road driving in the dark to hypothermia.
I recommend you adjust your timing and stay elsewhere,

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
If you stay there hire an armed guard...My dog was stolen while we were eating lunch..returned after paying 200 bucks....WITH ALL FOUR FEET WIRED TOGETHER

wtf? I hope you are kidding.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 10:27 AM

Spent a night there once, pretty seedy place
We sometimes ate there in the past but it really went downhill in the food department
Stayed at the campground a few times

Jake Brake City!!! The speed bump in front of the place brings out the worst of jake brake moments
and to top it off, the roosters start early, I mean like real early and don't let up.

Sadly, just out the dirt road to the coast about five miles is a great campground next to a seasonal stream, lots of oak trees,
DK reports that it has been fenced off.
Bummer..... it was one of our favorite quiet and safe places to stay
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 10:33 AM

I stayed there once and that was enough, what Bajatrailrider said.

I do have some good memories of the restaurant and bar especially back in the day when the navy chief was cook.

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by TMW]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 10:46 AM

My 2 cents on El Palomar....
Restaurant has been good every time for me. Bar is a nice relaxing place to hang out. Old lady that owns the place is always very nice and friendly. The campground and pools that they own across the road are nice and clean. Pet monkey "Tota" likes to eat chocolate snacks. Rooms looked clean last summer. I plan on staying there soon.
Good luck
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 11:14 AM

The Zarcillo Restaurant owner was telling me they have plans to put in some rooms at their restaurant.

Ejido Ajusco, mile north of the Palomar, in the town across from the Sto. Tomas vineyard.

Its not a cheap place - full tasting menu with wine is around $380 pesos. They have breakfast too.

If you haven't stopped there and you are looking for something different than tacos on the road, then you should check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/ZarcilloRestaurant/
http://www.zarcillo.com.mx

-----
funny, Ill pay $380 for a nice meal at Zarcillo, but it peees me off that the Palomar charges double for a Magnum ice cream bar.

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by soylent_green]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 11:32 AM

Does any of you know what air washing towels are. The Palomar motel does.
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soylent_green  
The Zarcillo Restaurant owner was telling me they have plans to put in some rooms at their restaurant.

Ejido Ajusco, mile north of the Palomar, in the town across from the Sto. Tomas vineyard.

Its not a cheap place - full tasting menu with wine is around $380 pesos. They have breakfast too.

If you haven't stopped there and you are looking for something different than tacos on the road, then you should check it out.

-----
funny, Ill pay $380 for a nice meal at Zarcillo, but it peees me off that the Palomar charges double for a Magnum ice cream bar.

what did the $380 include? was it a full meal or was it more a bunch of tasting samples?
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnGaltSpeaking  
Quote: Originally posted by soylent_green  

-----

what did the $380 include? was it a full meal or was it more a bunch of tasting samples?
4 course tasting menu, they don't have a regular menu to choose from (except maybe breakfast, I think they have a breakfast menu)
small bites, but definitely left satisfied. Quality over quantity.

Couple hours later your ready to hit the taco cart though

The chef/owner is married to the head winemaker at Santo Tomas Vineyards.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
My 2 cents on El Palomar....
Restaurant has been good every time for me. Bar is a nice relaxing place to hang out. Old lady that owns the place is always very nice and friendly. The campground and pools that they own across the road are nice and clean. Pet monkey "Tota" likes to eat chocolate snacks. Rooms looked clean last summer. I plan on staying there soon.
Good luck

I've never stayed in the hotel, but my experience with the restaurant is the same as Tio's. If I'm hungry when I'm in the area, I stop in. They do a nice plate of grilled quail on request, if they have any on hand.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.