Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Fishcamp for sale?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 01:37 PM
Fishcamp for sale?

Anyone who follows my posts knows that I retired earlier this year.
30 years Boeing and I am 59.
It's starting to feel good.
30 years in an aircraft factory will mess you up so I am still recovering and I'm guessing it will take most of a year.
But I am getting better but may never be "normal" again.
I am PTSD'd like you can't believe and physically ill from exposure to so many harsh chemicals for so long.
Hopefully nothing fatal but... I saw lots of pictures of my coworkers taped to the wall near the time clock.
People who retired by dying in the factory or a year or so after. The company knows exactly how long people live because they know when they start and stop paying the pension.
It's a scary statistic.

I find that now that I don't have to work and don't need to be part of the SoCal ratrace that I like it here alot more now. I'm in Costa Mesa a short bike ride to Newport Beach. I hardly drive anymore.
But for the last 13 or so years my lots kept me and my soul alive. The idea that there was a place for me to go was enough to keep my nose to the grindstone. And grind I did.

But it seems to be losing it's meaning to me now.

In the time that has passed my lots have barely appreciated enough to cover my investment. And a few of the properties have been on the market for years.
And I see price reductions...

So I have been musing with the idea of putting my lots on the market.
I think I would rather have the cash and invest in the U.S. stock market. My current investments are making good money so I have a taste of that and like it.

I think if I want to buy back into Baja later it will not cost me anymore than I sell for.
In fact I know alot more now after studying the real estate market for the past 13 or so years. So might even " better deal" it.

Since I bought my fishcamp the neighborhood is now inside a huge nature preserve.
When I 1st got there the master plan was for hotels and golf courses and yacht harbors.
But it didn't happen. I'm guessing that the bird lovers and Kangaroo rat lovers put a permanant monkey wrench to that plan along with the Mex government.
The developer ended up selling them 1000s of acres of land for the nature preserve.
That's how we ended up inside of the preserve. The developer is my neighbor so we are grandfathered permanent access through the preserve.
I see huge appreciation there someday for sure. It is already a "destination" now and I believe that will increase. So it has a built in tourist biz for B n B or something.
I would love to develope a biz and pass it to my son if he wants it.

So, let't hear it. What are you thoughts on this? I value the comments that I receive from my fellow BajaNomads.
Thanks
Mike B

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 01:57 PM

Is there an open runway on or near the land?

Since the closing of Gypsy's RV Park by Dave and Juanita (Rancho Cielito Lindo) there has been an emptiness that is not filled by El Pabellon or Fidel's El Pabellon, next door. Maybe because there is no cantina similar to Laura's Wet Buzzard or her famous breakfast burritos or that unique indoor camping building. Ah, ice cold Pacifico on tap... nothing quite as good!

What do you say Mike... is that what we can expect? We could welcome 4x4 groups, like Ken Cooke's or Cameron's Trail of Missions?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 02:18 PM

Our runway is well maintained and in great shape. Used regularly.

It's way prettier on my side than it is by Cielito Lindo. My developer is also their neighbor and he moved across. I don't think he like's the trailer trash next door. Which I think was intentional because the prior owner of Ranch Cielito Lindo was peeed because my developer's dad pushed the paved road (it ruined it for him and the Hollywood crowd) and gave the land for the former La Pinta. He also built their runway. Which was his.
Probably the origin of the strict CC and Rs in my neighborhood. No trailer trash allowed.

I have actually toyed with the idea of buying a few of the cheaper back lots that abut right to the nature preserve and set up a RV type site or 2 with a cabana and restroom/shower. Hook ups too. Power/water/etc.
So I haven't given up on the idea.
If fact, I can go live down there way cheaper and pour all my pension money into my IRA and stocks.
And there are a few houses forsale there that are in Pedregal and have mature trees and are very pretty. I'm trying to rent one now so I can be there and start developing...

I loved the wet buzzard. Miss that place. Was fun to go out there. So middle of nowhere... so lonely... so perfect...

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 03:13 PM

What a confusing post:?:. You selling or buying?

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by chippy]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 03:27 PM

Me thinks that the land will be there looong past you...

Old saying,,,,,, Easy to buy , hard to sell....

Oh, and by the way, I do really like that area as it is muy tranquilo and has great raw oysters....

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 03:29 PM

Fish,
Post a gps coord for your lots. Cant figure out what lots/area you are describing. You on the open beach or protected bay?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Fish,
Post a gps coord for your lots. Cant figure out what lots/area you are describing. You on the open beach or protected bay?

https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.google.earth&ibi=com.g...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 03:50 PM

How many feet of water front?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 04:01 PM

Pedregal...now I got it.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
How many feet of water front?

90 x 90. 2 lots 45 x 90. Can be joined as 1 lot for Fide.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
What a confusing post:?:. You selling or buying?

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by chippy]

Sorry. Yes, a little confusing. I'm still sorting it out.

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 10:00 AM

Please share the properties infrastructure details like water, sewer and electric if any.
Suggestion: At least pour a concrete slab for an RV or trailer and paint your contact info on the slab.

Es Todo Bueno
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 10:45 AM

I took some time off to travel when I was your age, but while I was visiting my dad in northern California, it became clear that his declining health, and cognitive skills was going to require some assistance.

After a year of putting my life on hold, I just wasn't up to returning to full time construction work, so I pulled the plug at 62. Everybody is different, but based on my last ten years, I would say that if you think you want to develop your property, start now!

At age 60, I could have enjoyed building a place in Baja, but at 71, I would rather buy something that is complete, or needs minor upgrades.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 01:00 PM

Yeah. Dreams definately have a shelf life. They will expire if left on the shelf too long.
So I am getting close.
I hoping to live until 100 years old but...

I want to chase a different dream now. 1 that expired and got a new lease on life due to the shortage of qualified pilots right now.
My best buddy called me this morning from Brown Field in San Diego.
He was sitting in his KingAir waiting for a t-storm to clear over Cabo. Such is the life...

I could use my fishcamp money for flight training.
Baja ain't going nowhere... it will wait for me.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Please share the properties infrastructure details like water, sewer and electric if any.
Suggestion: At least pour a concrete slab for an RV or trailer and paint your contact info on the slab.

The house next to my lots. Should give you an idea...

Casas Vacacionales en San Quintin Baja - Bahia el morro san quintin baja
http://mobile.bahiaelmorro.com/casas.shtml

[Edited on 8-11-2018 by fishbuck]

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 04:08 PM

It seems like now is a bad time to buy into the stock market, given the all time high. I’d rather be selling.

How qualified of a pilot are you?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 04:30 PM

Private with hipo/complex endorsements
Got to add yp my hours but 300 maybe.
Multi dual instruction
Instrument dual instruction
Jet dual dual instruction

Probably need a good hundred hours to polish all up and get all my ratings.
Would use the fishcamp money to buy a jet Pilot in Command rating.
They want a geezer like me because they know I won't get scooped by the airlines... too old.
But lots of good flying years left in me. No age limit for private jets.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 04:39 PM
Sounds like a bold move!

But I remember the old Alaskan bush pilot saying; "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold, pilots!"

[Edited on 8-11-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 07:26 PM

So true. Applies everywhere. Even Baja😎

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 07:28 PM

The two most useless things in flying.
Fuel left in the truck.
Runway behind you.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.