Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Osprey - George Bergin
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 07:13 PM

we didn't see eye to eye on everything...but who does?

Baja Adjustments (from Osprey)

The U.S. Marine Corp has it right �Adapt and Improvise�. I knew when I quit my job at age 58 and left the U.S. to retire in Baja Sur there would have to be a lot of adjustments and I better just get use to changes, roll with the punches. I was ready for most of the culture changes I would face but I didn�t give a thought about growing old down here --- just couldn�t see that far ahead.

Now I�m 76 years old and the old age thing is bringing with it another round of adjustments.

Here�s an incomplete list of adjustments, like tectonic plates jerking to relieve the unbelievable pressure of continental drift.

� Booze
Always a martini man so I was disappointed to see my favorites down here were either not available or priced out of my range � Tanquerey, an arm, Beefeaters, a leg, Steinhager, unavailable. So I went for Oso Negro until our savings ran out, then dropped to Paloma at $2 bucks a liter by the case.

� Boat
Never had a boat in my life but a bargain panga came along and I had to learn how to launch and haul from our sand beach with no ramp using whatever vehicle could do the job. Only had to get help from another vehicle one time and I made it work for almost 15 years till I gave the boat, motor and trailer to one of my neighbors.

� Food
I love spicy hot Mexican food of all kinds but when I developed an enlarged spleen (about the size of a small boombox) the spices had to go. I miss my Chile Verde so bad I have nightmares.

� Music
I love all kinds of music (except rap and hip hop) and when we got television it came with Sirius and some other great CDs and I filled the patio every day with hits from the 50s and 60s. Now, in my old Fogy stage you might hear a lot of salsa, jukebox gold, jazz and, now and then, classical tunes as you come through my gate.

� Never Ending Projects
When we first arrived here we did a lot of improvements around the house/lot by ourselves (we laid down 1800 pavers on 3 patios), painted the house 2 or 3 times. Now I only tackle the light weight tasks of plumbing repair and such; odd jobs I now leave to one of many younger Mexicans who will work for very little money and who have natural talent for making things work. My steady stream of refescos and a good solid lunch brings them back again and again when things start to fall and crumble around this old place.

� Exercise
I have found many reasons not to exercise; too hot, too cold, too windy, got up too late, sandfleas are out. About every 10 days or so I used to take 4 empty garrafones to the water sellers, pack full ones in my rig, schlep them all up the drive as a form of exercise. When my back just wouldn�t let me pick em up anymore, I made a deal to have em delivered and carried up to the bodega. Just a buck or 2 more and my back is on the mend.

� Fishing
I�ve grown accustomed to letting my boat guy, Leonardo, do all the heavy lifting when we fish. When a big fish strikes the lure he hands me the rod and waits to see just how energetic I feel that particular day. When I�ve invited guests, especially those who are fishing rookies I can afford to be generous and let them fight the big ones. The more we fish together, the more action I get, the more willing I am to fight the fish to the boat. He makes it all easy by keeping the boat perfectly positioned till we can get the big brutes close to capture or release.

� Long in the Tooth
I haven�t taken care of my teeth to make them last over 70 years so as they go bad I�m now having to have them yanked out one at a time. I have yet to ask my wife to change her grocery shopping list but that day may surely come. Right now I�m able to handle the ice cream, jello and Yogurt but I have to have the dogs chew my steaks and chops for me. They are like big shaggy cormorants � I put a tight rope around their throats so they won�t swallow anything.

� Movies
We get HBO and a couple other movie channels down here now. I can�t watch the Teen movies or the vampire stuff so I�m forced to watch, again and again, my old standards like Will Penney or My Cousin Vinny. At my age they might as well be new releases even though I�ve seen them scores of times � I�m always pleased if I can remember a scene or a line or part of the plot.

� Young gringo visitors
On my patio or at c-cktail parties around the village I occasionally meet young visitors: sons, daughters, grandkids visiting their retired folks here. Over time I have discovered that we can never learn from each other --- my fault for being separated by miles and years from their worlds. I cut attempts at communication short by giving them advice.

�Don�t hang with old people. Old people will drag you down, put you in a sour, old people mood with their talk about broken hips and hives and arrhythmia, estate planning, market trends.

Second, and most important piece of advice I can give, �Don�t take advice from an old cracker like me.�

[Edited on 12-27-2012 by Osprey]

[Edited on 8-12-2018 by willardguy]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 07:36 PM

:)

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 10:16 PM

Osprey is flying with his Ospreys and his true loves and spirit.

He will continue to fly with us all.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 07:31 AM

He left us with a great gift of his intuitive and inspirational writing. We are all the better for it. Thank you, George.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 08:24 AM

20 years ago a close friend of SWMBO passed away. We were shocked when over 200 people came to her funeral. Every single person who spoke, us included, all said the they were her best friend. She cultivated friends.
While never meeting George, I have a feeling he was one of those people as well. I too have the emails saved, stories printed and in a binder.

Do you remember his account of how he treated the seller of his casa? The agree-to price was $25k dollars. However, the papers were drawn up, executed by all parties in pesos. No one caught it until it was time to pay. He could have cheated the lady, leaving her no recourse but he knew the real deal and paid her the agreed price. I know more than a few folks who would not, and brag about for years.

I loved his belief that only a fool would retire to Baja and own painting equipment of any kind.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 08:35 AM

My wife and I had the privilege of meeting George and Lynda about 3 1/2 years ago, and we maintained a regular email correspondence right up until late July. In addition to his talent for the written word, he had a deep, unshakable love for La Ribera and its people, both the locals and the expats.

While his life changed dramatically after Lynda's unexpected death, he approached it with stoicism and gratitude. He made provisions for his own care, for the upkeep of his house and for an orderly transition of his possessions when he passed. He was more than ready, but selfish friends like me kept holding out for just one more story.

DEP Jorge.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 08:46 AM

Farewell to a beloved Nomad. His stories will live on in our hearts.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 09:08 AM

Words do matter and can do amazing things, Thank You Osprey

Es Todo Bueno
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 09:16 AM

DEP George. He was a talented story teller. especially about some of the characters he met...including some gringos..... always with humor.....and a wonderful person to sit down and talk to. His messages the last couple of months were shorter and shorter. But I always will remember him in good spirits....

Later in his years I used to hear my father talk to friends about those that recently passed on...I often wondered why....now I know.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 11:01 AM

When Leonardo's panga was stolen off the beach, George gave him his boat and trailer which is in use today. He was kind and will be missed by the Minjares and Gonzales family. Que descansa en paz hermano.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 03:36 PM

I bet George did so many things for his amigos that we will never know about. He truly unequivocably loved this country with a passion.

Have fun in the next world - DEP - and thanks for sharing your plants with me every time we visited you!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 08:22 PM

Saddened to find the post was about his passing ..

Rest in Peace and thank you for your contributions to enhance the experience of life.

Thanks to all those who eloquently eulogized a man so deserving of the words spoken/written.

Respects from Tommy & Lori

memorial candle.jpg - 10kB

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 07:14 AM

[Edited on 8-13-2018 by ELINVESTIG8R]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-13-2018 at 08:26 AM

DEP my great hermano.

I will really miss him.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 07:20 AM

I was looking for some memories of George online and found this short story on the MexConnect website. He will be missed.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I was looking for some memories of George online and found this short story on the MexConnect website. He will be missed.

Thank you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 07:29 AM

You're welcome. The pleasure is mine in that I'm finding treasure I wasn't aware existed. I thought I had read everything George wrote, but clearly I was wrong! Here is another.

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 07:57 AM

A great storyteller. Like a lot of us he would send his stories to me for comment some times. I never met the man personally but felt I knew him in some small way. He will be missed. DEP Señor.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:31 AM

I always enjoyed reading his stories. He was a very talented writer. Thanks for posting some I hadn't read.

DEP.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

He always said he wanted a critique of his stories but I think he just wanted them read. He got some satisfaction knowing his stories were read. Perhaps even now.

What if Nomads created a section that was a collection of Osprey's stories? One post per story.

It might be a nice addition to this website. And it may please George as well.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.