Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Osprey - George Bergin
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

He always said he wanted a critique of his stories but I think he just wanted them read. He got some satisfaction knowing his stories were read. Perhaps even now.

What if Nomads created a section that was a collection of Osprey's stories? One post per story.

It might be a nice addition to this website. And it may please George as well.

I like this idea. I only knew George for a few years, but I truly believe that while he would have scoffed at anyone making much of a fuss about his stories, he would have taken pleasure in knowing that people were reading them.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 07:18 AM

I had wanted to post my favorite by Osprey, but cannot find it.......a short interlude about a walk on the beach...it was beautiful and surreal....one of those days where the boundary between water, sky and reality are blurred......did anyone see him down there on the beach, was he really there?

Does anyone have a copy?
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 06:43 PM

What a great man Jorge was. Im going to miss him.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 06:22 AM

You can say that again!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2018 at 12:04 PM

Today is Osprey's birthday... I hope he is having a wonderful afterlife and creating many stories to tell his fellow angels!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2018 at 04:06 PM

Happy birthday Jorge !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-20-2018 at 11:02 AM

RIP Osprey

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2018 at 01:50 PM

Happy birthday, Osprey.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2018 at 02:54 PM

I miss complaining to Jorge about the New England weather. His reply would always be an excellent short story. I miss those even more.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 10:15 AM

My favorite Osprey story. It’s an interplay of rain and sound, the music of the two.

Rain

With five, count em� five average days of rain per year (3.5 inches) in my little village I have a reason to note just how it feels, how it sounds.

The range of the sounds is astounding because there are so many kinds of rain, so many objects for the drops to hit. Rain sounds are different at your place than they are at mine. We have different gardens, roofs, shades, patios.

My personal rains, the ones at my house, hit the palm thatch roof of my living room and patio. They pelt the papayas, the arbol de fuego, the big pistachios, the royal platano de jardin. They beat upon the adokin, the pavers that are my front drive, dirt yard, dirt street, the fountain in my small garden. Each surface produces a slightly different sound, the slant, speed and volume of the rain differs from storm to storm, changes minute by minute.

The rare summer showers that slowly creep down from the canyons in August begin with a hissing sound, barely audible at first because the droplets are so small, dewlike, just barely visible. Then, as the clouds darken, the drops grow larger they begin to play their distinctive beat around the place. It is a most welcome symphony. The big leaves of the garden banana plant resonate under the pressure of the large drops while the fronds of thatch of the patio roof disperse each drop, soften what could be a harsh pelting sound to almost a murmur.

As the huge anvil of water in the main part of the rainstorm becomes a dark dome above our village, the rain increases. The drops grow huge and fall with great force to make a mixing of all the sounds that preceded it, built up in volume to become another more powerful and furious white noise.

Perhaps my favorite sounds come just as the last drops fall and things begin to make rhythms as they drip. The dripping from the thatch hanging down around the patio becomes a rough pattern, each droplet having its own place in the scale, the distance to the dirt marking the tone, the cadence with more order and finally less sound. Then, when I'm sure I've heard the very last drop, a lonely silence falls upon the place. For the next few hours the new kind of unholy stillness quite sops up, dries out my short lived joy, nature�s rhythm section in the tropics. This is a very thirsty part of the world where every drop brings or renews life to something important � the sound, the rhythm and movement is a bonus and I never want to miss it as it is all soaked up in what seems like just the blink of an eye.

This passerby, this welcome stroller is in no way related to the killing deluges that can spell destruction and sorrow for those who cannot or will not step aside.
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 03:04 PM

thank you for posting this
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 10:54 AM
Osprey

I never knew or met the man, but do remember his postings.

I just learned of his passing, and reading the many posts from people, some like me who never met him, but enjoyed his words, feel a profound sense of loss.

Rest easy Osprey... you are soaring with angels now!

God bless and keep your loved ones..

Linda Vaughn
:(

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  

[Edited on 8-13-2018 by ELINVESTIG8R]

Linda
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 12:05 PM

Skipjack Joe,
That post made my day.
I cannot help but to notice a comparison... We're very much here like the summer desert rain - our time here is brief and wonderful. I want to experience every drop, as I believe the author did.
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 12:28 PM
Osprey

I never knew or met the man, but do remember his postings.

I just learned of his passing, and reading the many posts from people, some like me who never met him, but enjoyed his words, feel a profound sense of loss.

Rest easy Osprey... you are soaring with angels now!

God bless and keep your loved ones..

Linda Vaughn
:(

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  

[Edited on 8-13-2018 by ELINVESTIG8R]

Linda
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 08:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
Skipjack Joe,
That post made my day.
I cannot help but to notice a comparison... We're very much here like the summer desert rain - our time here is brief and wonderful. I want to experience every drop, as I believe the author did.

I never thought of it that way but it’s a great comparison. I like it. Thanks for posting it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.