Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  10
Author: Subject: Planted drugs at check point
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 08:52 PM

So many misrepresentations and outright lies on this thread I don't know where even to begin. Probably making a big mistake even trying but I just cannot remain silent against so much BS...

First of all, I never intended for TalkBaja to "compete" with Nomad nor is there any reason why one needs to choose one over the other. Nomad and Talk Baja are both valuable online resources but built using different platforms; one accessed primarily via PC's and the other via mobile devices with very different demographics.

It's not even an apple-orange comparison, probably more like comparing an apple to a jar of peanut butter.

Talk Baja has grown very quickly, largely due to the popularity of social media and with that growth has come a dramatic increase in user activity. On any given day we average well over 1500 posts and a single shared thread can take that post's view count over 100K in just a couple of hours.

That difference is why I have made this one of our core rules:

Share Only Verified Information
Talk Baja is an online resource used by thousands of Baja residents and travelers daily seeking up to date, accurate information. We strongly discourage the sharing of posts with unconfirmed inflammatory content that does not include the name(s) and/or the source - origin of the information.

To understand why I made this policy, think about how you access Nomad: most likely via your PC sitting at home where you can follow and participate in a thread for hours and days. The topic begins on Nomad, is discussed on Nomad, stays and ends here on Nomad.

Over 80% of the users on Talk Baja access our group via a mobile device. If you don't use a smart phone, then this may not make much sense to you. For those of you who do routinely use your phones to go online, think about how you use that device when out and about, on the road / traveling. You often are not even looking to dive into an online discussion but simply looking for the latest, accurate information at that moment for any specific topic and continue on.

Because nearly all of our hot topic threads are shared multiple times, even hundreds and at times into the thousands when tracked all the way out through their multiple shares and re-shares across social media, we lose complete control of the original post discussion at that point.

The post referenced here on Nomad is expanded in content and detail from what was originally shared on TalkBaja. The post that was shared in our group did not include a single name, a date, link, group, organization or any other kind of source to the story.

Neither Mike or Punta Chivato were mentioned in the post to our group - just sharing a post from another page that was somebody telling a story "they had heard...".

If that original post is largely discredited later via followup comments, I have absolutely no way to chase down all the countless threads that were launched via sharing and re-sharing across all of social media to set the record straight.

All they will see is the original shared post and none of the follow up discussion on Talk Baja. It seems irresponsible on our part to not at the very least require some minimum level of ownership for the information posted. Otherwise it will all fall back on Talk Baja and ultimately on me.

Sorry if that bothers some of you but it is a call I made, based on the way our platform is used as it seemed to be the best way to assure we provide the best possible, reliable information.

As far as other comments made about our group, moderators and myself personally, you really have no clue and are largely, if not completely off the mark. But it does underscore a growing distance I have felt from many in this forum and why this will be my very last post here on Nomad.

Stay safe and see you on the other side amigos...

[Edited on 8-22-2018 by BajaGringo]

chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 09:08 PM

I've been following this post and would agree completley with DaliDali, this board is to pass on good info, helpful info. The trolls who bombed this are simply wrong, and are the same fools who feel inclined to run a negitive spin on just about everything that does not fit there agenda. Seasoned Baja travelers who are familiar with the SI stop, feel the vibe there ( at times ) Those of us who have places in PC know that this is legit, and I thank Russ for posting. Mike's been quite, and understandably so, no need to battle with dumb asses
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 09:11 PM

Russ wrote: I'm forwarding this notice by request and hope you all will watch carefully as you are stopped.

""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""

Homeowners and Residents of Punta Chivato,

Concerned for our safety,

Mike Bowers
President Homeowners Association of Punta Chivato

The one who should be forwarding this alleged incident is not rts551 , it should be Mike Bowers, if he indeed wrote this complaint.

This is so weird, but it's a question that should be asked.

Did Mike Bowers, write a first hand account anywhere, or is this all 3rd party only?

If the writer is so concerned about the safety of others, why did he leave it to 3rd parties to forward the alleged incident?

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 05:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rumrunner  
Planted drugs at check point

Considering that personal amounts of drugs are completely legal in Mexico, I would question this.

Planting drugs would be like planting a pencil.

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/decriminalization-of-narcotics/...

WTF
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Chupacabra  

Considering that personal amounts of drugs are completely legal in Mexico, I would question this.

I agree, thanks for the link
BTW the pot limit is 5G..... less than a fifth of an ounce... A couple joints worth?
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
nobody asked.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  

I agree, thanks for the link
BTW the pot limit is 5G..... less than a fifth of an ounce... A couple joints worth?

Are you willing to take those two joints out of your shirt pocket at a military checkpoint to verify it's good to go?

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
This is mexico. Why are any of you surprised that cops or military are crooked, thugs, or running scams.

The law enforcement and military are rotten to the core.

Never trust law enforcement or military. One day they may help you, the next they may rob you.

On the topic of crooked cops,.... Do you watch Narcos on Netflix? Eagerly awaiting season 4 which takes place in Mexico.

This is the same way I feel about cops, and military in the US, and while many Mexican cops are corrupt, they usually don't kill, unarmed citizens, or unarmed civilians like US cops, and the US military do around the world.

Given, the fact many if not most Nomad members, American ex-pats, and American tourists, feel exactly like you Goat.

It begs the question, why get your panties in a bunch, over the fact, "Talk Baja" pulled an alleged 3rd party incident report, where the original writer, can't be bothered to put up his own incident reports, on "Talk Baja" or any other Baja sites?

Isn't this already known by most everybody? Do we really need another alleged incident report, and a 3rd party report to boot?

I know when I'm pulled over or cop by a Mexican cop, I go on red alert, and watch him very carefully. I don't need an incident report, telling me Mexican cops are shaking down people in the area.

In the US, I just put my hands on the steering wheel, praying I don't get shot while going for my ID.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Russ wrote: I'm forwarding this notice by request and hope you all will watch carefully as you are stopped.

""""""""""""""
""""""""""""""

Homeowners and Residents of Punta Chivato,

Concerned for our safety,

Mike Bowers
President Homeowners Association of Punta Chivato

The one who should be forwarding this alleged incident is not rts551 , it should be Mike Bowers, if he indeed wrote this complaint.

This is so weird, but it's a question that should be asked.

Did Mike Bowers, write a first hand account anywhere, or is this all 3rd party only?

If the writer is so concerned about the safety of others, why did he leave it to 3rd parties to forward the alleged incident?

Maybe he/she isnt a user of social media? Maybe he/she is a retired person of a certain age that just doesnt go on Facebook or Nomads? Maybe he/she instructed persons, whom they know use social media, to post it because they felt the word should get out, due to the seriousness of it.

Or, maybe it's a nefarious scheme by surfers to reduce competition for waves? Or maybe right-wingers in a scheme to continue to put Mexico in a bad light?

Which seems more likely to you, Joe?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:56 AM

There is the letter of the law in Mexico. And then there is the law that authorities decide to enforce in Mexico.

Often, the two are not the same.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Maybe he/she isnt a user of social media? Maybe he/she is a retired person of a certain age that just doesnt go on Facebook or Nomads? Maybe he/she instructed persons, whom they know use social media, to post it because they felt the word should get out, due to the seriousness of it.

Or, maybe it's a nefarious scheme by surfers to reduce competition for waves? Or maybe right-wingers in a scheme to continue to put Mexico in a bad light?

According to Mike Bowers's, 3rd party alleged incident report, he is both a teacher, and President of an HOA, so I expect him to be on the ball, and to still have most of his marbles. I also expect him to know his way around a computer, and social media, seeing that he deals with children everyday.

You would think that because so many people said Mike Bowers, is beyond reproach, here on "Baja Nomad" and "Talk Baja" word would have got back to Mike, that his 3rd party report is causing problems and hurt feelings, and he would take the time to post his own report and make his own complaint to the Mexican authorities.

I don't know about nefarious scheme by surfers to reduce competition for waves, but just yesterday, some bot, opened up a thread on 'Baja Nomad" that was four years old, and the OP wanted scary stories about the Mexican cartel to reduce competition, so that report was indeed nefarious.

I don't know if Mike Bowers, story is true or not, but I do know there are lots of false stories out there from people with an agenda, or ax to grind against Mexico.

If Mike Bowers, doesn't have the balls, to put up his own story, I'm not going to think too much about his alleged story.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 09:35 AM

I like peanut butter on a slice of apple. Makes for good snack. :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Rumrunner
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 09:56 AM

Ok, first person accounts. Some of my
Experiences over the last 40 years.
The vast majority of trips I have had no issues
With local police, federal police, or military.
I have had police follow me for miles, pull me over
And tell me I need to pay a fine for driving
Too slow. Didn’t pay. I’ve been pulled over
For not having a red flag on my propeller. Didn’t
Pay that one either.
Been pulled over for running a stop sign that was
Hidden in a tree branch. Saw it as I rolled through
And knew I was gonna pay. $20. I don’t like to
Drive to the station towing a boat with a tower
On it. I have witnessed boats pulling down
Wires and it’s just not worth it.
I was fishing in Dan Felipe years ago and
A young man asked to help carry my gear for
Something to eat. I gave him a sandwich.
He then asked me if I wanted some drugs.
I told him no thanks. He tried again. Told him
No. He then walked down the malecon to a
Police officer and shrugged his shoulders
And pointed back towards me.
It’s very possible they were
working together. Later that evening my wife and
I were eating dinner on the Malecon.
Same guy very intoxicated
came up and said You are under arrest.
I told him to get lost. He then leaned in to my wife
And said something unintelligible
I told him that I he didn’t leave immediately he was
Going to the hospital and I was going to jail
He left.
I can live with the Mordita here and there.
It’s not going away.
I will have to think hard about taking my $100,000+
Rig If drugs indeed are being planted. I don’t know if
This account in San Ignacio is true or not
I would like to hear it from the person that said it happened.
Maybe I just buy a beater truck and go back
To panga fishing like I did in the 70s
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

According to Mike Bowers's, 3rd party alleged incident report, he is both a teacher, and President of an HOA, so I expect him to be on the ball, and to still have most of his marbles. I also expect him to know his way around a computer, and social media, seeing that he deals with children everyday.

You would think that because so many people said Mike Bowers, is beyond reproach, here on "Baja Nomad" and "Talk Baja" word would have got back to Mike, that his 3rd party report is causing problems and hurt feelings, and he would take the time to post his own report and make his own complaint to the Mexican authorities.

I don't know about nefarious scheme by surfers to reduce competition for waves, but just yesterday, some bot, opened up a thread on 'Baja Nomad" that was four years old, and the OP wanted scary stories about the Mexican cartel to reduce competition, so that report was indeed nefarious.

I don't know if Mike Bowers, story is true or not, but I do know there are lots of false stories out there from people with an agenda, or ax to grind against Mexico.

If Mike Bowers, doesn't have the balls, to put up his own story, I'm not going to think too much about his alleged story.

Russ, of Punta Chivato sunrise photos fame, relayed the original incident from one of his neighbors at Punta Chivato....
This neighbor happens to be the HOA jefe there
I don't know if Russ is part of the HOA or not but feel confident he is pals with him.

Mr Bowers may have taken a "don't get involved" posture and just let it lie, other than passing the incident details to Russ.
Many people don't feel comfortable with spreading incidents they have been involved in and that in NO WAY makes them "stoneless"
It's highly insulting to claim a lack of stones, when you are totally clueless who the man is.

Do you really feel that Russ, with his stellar creds on this site, would relay what he felt as hyperbole and a sham story to stir hate and discontent within this site?

Without a doubt, Russ has light years more creds than you Joe.

Your opinion is yours...take off the Joe Friday suit and rant on about how the establishment keeps their jackboots on your neck.

[Edited on 8-22-2018 by DaliDali]

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Yes....and if you want a real treat....try almond or cashew butter....

YUM :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Yes....and if you want a real treat....try almond or cashew butter....

YUM :light:

....nutella...

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Rumrunner
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 10:23 AM

I believe that if your vehicle is impounded
For drugs your insurance is void. Anyone
Confirm this?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 10:29 AM

Nutella = palm oil! Not really a drug that will be a problem at a check point, but this thread went off the rails a long time ago.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 10:51 AM

Back on track. Sort of. My father once had drugs planted. Not SI but Rosarito.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=67491#pid8190...

:saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Russ, of Punta Chivato sunrise photos fame, relayed the original incident from one of his neighbors at Punta Chivato....
This neighbor happens to be the HOA jefe there
I don't know if Russ is part of the HOA or not but feel confident he is pals with him.

Mr Bowers may have taken a "don't get involved" posture and just let it lie, other than passing the incident details to Russ.
Many people don't feel comfortable with spreading incidents they have been involved in and that in NO WAY makes them "stoneless"
It's highly insulting to claim a lack of stones, when you are totally clueless who the man is.

Do you really feel that Russ, with his stellar creds on this site, would relay what he felt as hyperbole and a sham story to stir hate and discontent within this site?

Without a doubt, Russ has light years more creds than you Joe.

Your opinion is yours...take off the Joe Friday suit and rant on about how the establishment keeps their jackboots on your neck.

[Edited on 8-22-2018 by DaliDali]

Once again this is not about Russ. Russ may have impeccable credentials beyond reproach, but Russ didn't write the alleged incident report, Mike Bowers, did.

I don't know Russ, but at least I could look at Russ's other posts, and see if he is posting with a full deck or not, but with Mike Bowers, I know nothing about him, and have never seen any of his writings, and I can't question him about some of his claims about his alleged incident.

I think it's too much to ask members of group sites and forums, to believe Mike Bowers, is also beyond reproach, because Russ, and others, know their neighbor, and say, "trust me, he is a good guy, and what he said was indeed accurate. ( try that line in a court of law)

How well do you really know your neighbors or fellow forum members? I know a handful of members and ex-members of " Baja Nomad" have met each other at group activities, and some of you thought those people were just wonderful, then later you learned some of these people were truly insane, bi-polar, or dangerous ex-cons.

If Mr Bowers may have taken a "don't get involved" posture, then we should not get involved in his alleged incident, just because a Facebook, site, didn't consider his alleged incident newsworthy, because the alleged incident was only provided by 3rd party.

So next time a Tijuana corrupt cop, harasses me, or asks or gets a bribe from me. I'm going to U2U the Goat, my HOA secretary, or you DaliDali, and send you all my incident report, so you can re-post on "BN" and "TB," and tell them, to believe you because JJJ has impeccable credentials, that are beyond reproach.

Mr Bowers, write your own story and post it yourself.

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.