Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9  
Author: Subject: Planted drugs at check point
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 09:21 AM

FYI, just got back from mini vacation along pacific. Passed SI check point twice and not even a problem. Completely normal and respectful conversation with them. Granted we were driving our Mexican plated vehicle, not one with SD plates like the one truck had going north that was getting check throughly ...I do suppose they know that the majority of gringos are probably not from SD.

Maybe some military at the check point are getting tired of having cars pass when they know people with SD plates are just trying to get around the Mexican system of properly licensing their rides for a whopping 300 pesos a year and its their way of getting back at cheap gringos who don't want to conform to their laws.

Now back to the cheesy politics
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 10:01 AM
Why SD plates?

I suspect that avoiding dealing with the California DMV is a major incentive for a SD address! Also, unless I got it wrong, a vehicle older than 9 years is not eligible to be imported, and they have to be registered somewhere.

Now...how about those check points?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
FYI, just got back from mini vacation along pacific. Passed SI check point twice and not even a problem. Completely normal and respectful conversation with them. Granted we were driving our Mexican plated vehicle, not one with SD plates like the one truck had going north that was getting check throughly ...I do suppose they know that the majority of gringos are probably not from SD.

Maybe some military at the check point are getting tired of having cars pass when they know people with SD plates are just trying to get around the Mexican system of properly licensing their rides for a whopping 300 pesos a year and its their way of getting back at cheap gringos who don't want to conform to their laws.

Now back to the cheesy politics

:lol:...I think you're really on to something there hotrod!
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 11:15 AM

I suspect that avoiding dealing with the California DMV is a major incentive for a SD address! Also, unless I got it wrong, a vehicle older than 9 years is not eligible to be imported, and they have to be registered somewhere.

Very true. The answer is just buy a vehicle down here. Easy. Legal,plated, help the local economy, help pay for the roads everybody complains about but doesn't want to support.

If you can afford to spend multiple months, own or rent a home down here, just try and help out instead of trying to get away with it.

Back to the check points.

Per discussion with my (educated) Mexican wife on this topic during our little trip through the check points , whose brother is a Policia estatal here in BCS, it is becoming clear that law enforcement is getting tired of people cheating their system. They are not stupid as many gringos want to believe. He and other Policia do in fact target gringos who do try and " beat" the system and it will be getting worse. His thought are " if they ( gringos) feel they can just come down and not respect OUR rules, we can try and make them think about it a little more"...hense possibly the reason more searches at check points or (of topic) more people with illegitimate plates get targeted more than other gringos.

Personally we are glad they are stepping up and trying to make Mexico a better place and maybe get rid of those who just want to come down and use and abuse. Mexico that is
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 11:27 AM

"If you can afford to spend multiple months, own or rent a home down here, just try and help out instead of trying to get away with it.
Back to the checkpoints.
Per discussion with my (educated) Mexican wife on this topic during our little trip through the checkpoints, whose brother is a Policia estatal here in BCS"

OR at least marry a cop's (educated) sister!
No bennies there.
:o
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 11:33 AM

Over half of the SD registered vehicles couldn't pass Cali smog tests, there "check engine light" is ON and has been for years.

Es Todo Bueno
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Over half of the SD registered vehicles couldn't pass Cali smog tests, there "check engine light" is ON and has been for years.

CA DMV registered cars located at residences south of TJ, or Tecate are smog exempt.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 11:52 AM

See this post is an example of somebody claiming expert knowledge, his educated wife, whose brother is a Mexico Policia, and Charlie, here as also claimed he is a retired orthopedic surgeon, as well has his nationalized wife, is also an orthopedic surgeon in another post.

Charlie Manson wrote: "as a retired orthopedic surgeon"

And I don't mean to pick up poor Charlie, here, but the topic of not believing everything you read on the internet came up in this thread, as the topic of somebody claiming special knowledge, as if to say to others to STFU and let the expert talk here.

Charlie, has also made attacking posts on others, so I don't feel bad, and very likely he will have choice words for me, although if he does, he makes it even more unlikely that he really is an orthopedic surgeon.

Personally, I don't think those lowly paid Military soldiers or Baja cops, care who passes in the car at the check points, and I doubt they discussed it with anybody.

Very true. The answer is just buy a vehicle down here. Easy. Legal,plated, help the local economy, help pay for the roads everybody complains about but doesn't want to support.

If you can afford to spend multiple months, own or rent a home down here, just try and help out instead of trying to get away with it.

Back to the check points.

Per discussion with my (educated) Mexican wife on this topic during our little trip through the check points , whose brother is a Policia estatal here in BCS, it is becoming clear that law enforcement is getting tired of people cheating their system. They are not stupid as many gringos want to believe. He and other Policia do in fact target gringos who do try and " beat" the system and it will be getting worse. His thought are " if they ( gringos) feel they can just come down and not respect OUR rules, we can try and make them think about it a little more"...hense possibly the reason more searches at check points or (of topic) more people with illegitimate plates get targeted more than other gringos.

Personally we are glad they are stepping up and trying to make Mexico a better place and maybe get rid of those who just want to come down and use and abuse. Mexico that is

[Edited on 8-27-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 12:30 PM

OK, so sorry that we are somewhat educated. for that I will apologize.

All I am saying is that we had no problems what so ever crossing the checkpoints. My brother in laws job had nothing to do with it and frankly we publicly don't mention that is not something you do down here paranewbe.
Just saying that there might be a reason some are being searched more than others and sharing that insight, which Iam sure is completely wrong.

Joe, yes I have beaten up a few people here because they have derseved it, especially the ones calling their orthopedic surgeons incompetent. Sorry that does hit a nerve coming from people asking for money to support them.

If one does what is expected of them in a foreign country they will probably get hassled less than if they are trying to scam the system :light:.
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 01:43 PM

I've got SD plates, for none of the reasons supposed above, and have NEVER been hassled, except once trying to smuggle in a huge amount of dog food for a local shelter. I quite doubt the checkpoint people care one way or the other.

I was, the other day when on my moto (SD plate), stopped at a military checkpoint and asked if I wanted to bring guns - and I couldn't help but laugh - so he sent me on my way.

Most of these guys are quite decent if you treat them with the respect they deserve. Personally, I never give someone with a gun a lot of sh*t.
Bajavanadu
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 02:14 PM

I'm curious if anyone has seen a k9 at any of the military checkpoints? Besides the k9s at southbound crossing, I've only seen a k9 at the Santo Tomas CP south of ensenada one time.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 02:27 PM

I have twice been approached by a soldier with a dog, but both times they cancelled the search when they saw my large dog in the car.

She actually seemed eager to meet those bad boys, but it would be hard to find anything where they would probably want to sniff!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 03:46 PM

El Rosario had a scrawny mutt a few weeks ago. I’ be surprised if the dogs are legit.

[Edited on 8-28-2018 by woody with a view]

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-29-2018 at 03:29 PM

I use SD plates on all my US trucks and dirt bikes pee on CA robbers.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2018 at 04:03 PM

Joe, yes I have beaten up a few people here because they have derseved it, especially the ones calling their orthopedic surgeons incompetent. Sorry that does hit a nerve coming from people asking for money to support them.

Orthopedic surgeons get abuse? Take a look at the abuse heaped on public school teachers. It's amazing how ungrateful some are for the ability to read, write, and spew bullchit on a website as adults. Thank a teacher. If I knew they were going to grow up to be little turds, I would have made sure they repeated grades. Definitely candidates for corporal punishment.

John

[Edited on 8-29-2018 by John Harper]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2018 at 10:38 AM

Personally, I wouldn't question anyone's story about check points as it doesn't matter to me. I've never had drugs planted but as I've written, I expect it. I don't like check points. Kids with guns. Some of them are thieves. Keeping an eye on my stuff so it doesn't get stolen puts me on edge. I deal with it.

That said, I hide everything that has value and can be pocketed while searching my car. Nothing in the glove compartment or center console. Someone starts going through my personal stuff, lingering, I call them on it. I'm up for stopping the search and calling the commandante over to supervise a search. I have time.

I expect shake downs in Tecate, Ciudad, SI check points, La Paz. I expect cannabis to be planted though it hasn't happened. Just the way it is and my expectation.

Check points profile gringoes. Only idiots would smuggle guns/drugs through at these check points. And these items would be hidden and not found.

Interesting fact for me. I travel with a big rocket box on top my SUV. I've never been asked to open it. Room for a dozen AK's but no one has interest. Maybe because it's not easily accessed without a step ladder of sorts. Still.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2018 at 11:50 AM

I travel in Baja with a large dog in a soft top SUV. Even with the top on it is a dusty car, so to protect fragile items from dust, water, and the dog I store them in a military style ammo can. Surprisingly, no one has ever asked me to open the can!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2018 at 02:06 PM

Just don't put any contraband in a cooler. Never fails, they always look inside coolers. I should rig up a jack-in-the-box cooler, perhaps with Agent Orange popping out. :D

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-30-2018 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I travel in Baja with a large dog in a soft top SUV. Even with the top on it is a dusty car, so to protect fragile items from dust, water, and the dog I store them in a military style ammo can. Surprisingly, no one has ever asked me to open the can!

A dirty car and occupants used to be an indicator that you in fact had been down in Baja and past the paved road .. South of Ensenada .... :):)

[Edited on 8-30-2018 by wessongroup]
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2018 at 03:31 PM

Per discussion with my (educated) Mexican wife on this topic during our little trip through the check points , whose brother is a Policia estatal here in BCS, it is becoming clear that law enforcement is getting tired of people cheating their system.They are not stupid as many gringos want to believe. He and other Policia do in fact target gringos who do try and " beat" the system and it will be getting worse. His thought are " if they ( gringos) feel they can just come down and not respect OUR rules, we can try and make them think about it a little more"...hense possibly the reason more searches at check points or (of topic) more people with illegitimate plates get targeted more than other gringos.

Ok I rarely chime in on these threads that dissolve into this level but this one...this one..

Wait, do you actually live or spend time in Mexico? Other than the family connection... Are you serious? This quote especially ""it is becoming clear that law enforcement is getting tired of people cheating their system." Dude, do you really in all honesty with a straight face believe that the Mexican legal sector and especially the police at the municiple and state level.... "cracks down" on things because of their passion for the law and jurisprudence? At the very most, they would be cracking down on someone gaming the system if they thought they could get a piece of the action. That's at the most. And I'm all for it, they don't get paid squat.

If they "want gringos to think a little more" they'd write tickets and send them to the station. It's an op for a money grab. Period.

A lot of them are hard working and good folks but lets please not jump over the moon and say that bribe set ups and random pull overs are because of some romantic idea that they're tired of people "breaking the law". That's a joke. We know it and you can ask any other Mexican on your way back to the border the same question. Other than your wife, obviously or her brother.

You can't throw a rock in Mexico with out hitting someone or something "breaking a law".

I guess they'll be rounding up all the Narcos then the week after next...I mean, if the gringos annoy them with their license plate game...imagine what wanton(edit) executions of fellow citizens must make them feel like.

Please don't take offense but that's just total BS.

Edit-spelling

[Edited on 8-31-2018 by Beagle]
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.