Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  10
Author: Subject: Planted drugs at check point
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2018 at 09:32 PM

Last time down, about a year ago...all checkpoints were fine. Had pleasant talk at each one. Lots of smiles. Then....that San Ignacio one. They pulled us to the side and tried to separate us from each other and the truck. Went through everything in front and back. Going through wife's purse, looking through some books, back to the purse trying to open something stupid. I speak Spanish and asked, "what is it you are looking for?" The meaner one said, "we smell drugs". Sidenote: I haven't touched anything stronger than coffee for 12 years. I just chuckled. Most of them were decent enough around the truck but there were 2 serious ass-hats that made it pretty nerve wracking. I say that because although I have nothing to hide , I've lived in some other parts of Central Mexico and Latin America where anything can and does happen...It was starting to feel like that.

With all of the Narco traffic going north and the violence that surrounds that, how many dope busts do they make on Gringos headed south I have to wonder.

Just giving my 2 cents on that check point. All the other check points were fine and even fun at times but there's something about that one it seems. A pattern is surfacing. And if they do swap them out on rotation, then it's even more perplexing. But regardless, it appears to be a hot spot of some sort.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 07:09 AM

In our ten years experience, the San Ignacio check is always the worst and most unfriendly soldiers. Never had a really bad experience but almost always uncomfortable.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 10:23 AM

I've experienced the most thorough searches at that checkpoint. It's where I did lose some valuables to the searchers AND it is where a young soldier downed a can of Tecate, while keeping an eye on his superior. He downed it in about 5 seconds. This was out of my fridge in an old RV I took down for a few years.

But this was all about 20 years ago. It was also where they were writing down passport numbers and vehicle license plate numbers.

[Edited on 8-21-2018 by Hook]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 02:18 PM
Good Luck and Bad

Given how many here have experienced the latter, I'm sure glad that God seems to have been on my side over all those years of stops and searches. Especially given that a truly thorough search would have produced whichever handgun I was carrying.

Resulting in my still being in a Mexican prison. Or, long dead.

Other than ONE "too close" call when a soldier almost got to the weapon, No Problema and never lost so much as a soda or cerveza despite often carrying a lot of cash. I have, however, given away quite a few drinks, candy bars, cookies, etc. at those stops.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
just don't get it. David begs to be let back in to talk baja...but hates it. Paco does not use face book but likes Talk baja. You guys need toi
rename Baja Nomads to Baja Nominds.

David K you need to stop your preoccupation with me ..Its not healthy anD has me worried,,, how many guns do you own? i DID NOT BAN YOU . Ron did and for good reason. wHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET IT?

Nomad guru/DK disciples pls help this guy.

I've been around here a long time and have had many run-ins with DavidK. So, I am no "disciple".

But I've always felt that it was YOU who had the preoccupation with HIM. No question. He will cross swords with you when you provoke him, but it is usually YOU who draws the sword first. And I have seen him extend many an olive branch to you, that you ignore.

Hey, David comments on far too many posts that he has little knowledge on. I have called him out on this before, here. It does no good, obviously. But YOU just refuse to let him alone. Always challenging him, making sarcastic comments to him. It's a rare post of his, that you leave alone without some snarky comment. Yes, often between the lines, that any regular here can pick up on.

So, you're a mod on Talk Baja? That figures. You treat him like a surly moderator without the power to delete his posts. Discredit, in lieu of deletion of the post or the poster.

Maybe my favorite was him claiming that HWY 5 was still going to take years to complete and you were all over him about it; refuting his stats on how fast it HAD been built and his predictions on how slow it would continue to go. Of course, either contention was completely unknowable. But you wouldnt let up on him; just INSISTING that it would be done by now. His estimates have proven to be true. It's still probably a minimum of one year away.

And now you have the audacity to put down the Nomads board as being a place deserving of types like David and others? If I was a mod, I would ban your azz from here, immediately! Or, better yet, as you have suggested to others (vis a vis Talk Baja), since you have such a low opinion of Nomads, terminate your own account. Why remain in a place so beneath you?

I am no great fan of DavidK, but you have no credibility, now, with me. Your motives are suspect, now that I realize you are a moderator on a competing Baja website. You have a motive for stirring the pot with David and others; just to give Nomads (or NoMINDS, as you say) the bad image, that you profess it has. Possibly just to send people packing to Talk Baja.

I am happy to spend ZERO time on Talk Baja if moderators delete potential information simply because it cant be independently verified by their nebulous criteria. Especially something as dangerous as this current subject.

All because surfers "might" be engaging in a concerted effort to reduce crowds on their waves? That's a ridiculous reason to delete posts. That's Orwellian. Where's the verification on THAT? Sure, it probably occurs but that's the cure worse than the disease.

And I am sure they are happy I am not there on Talk Baja. 'Cause I would call them on that crap. Win Win!

Besides, not all events that occur in the middle of the desert can be verified. And filing police reports or complaints in Mexico isnt usually productive. JJJ is ALWAYS looking for verification like this, that rarely exists in Mexico. Not reality-based thinking. So, he discounts anything that portrays Baja in a bad light.

From what I have seen over at TB, there IS a bias against anything bad being reported in Baja. Anyway, the whole Facebook organization of posts is just so unorganized.

I agree with the Nomad administrator that virtually no post is deleted here, unless it was simply unrelated to Baja. He lets much go, especially out-and-out attacks on others. The JJJ/"Elvis" wars are a good example. Warts are an inconvenience, but largely harmless.

I like the organization of boards like Nomads or Bloody Decks. Trip related posts go HERE, road condition reports go THERE.

Facebook's organization of posts is like a never-ending case of diarrhea. Finding something valuable in a stream like that is not easy, if it is a few days or weeks old. Very messy. But very immediate, chronologically, no doubt.

Talk Baja is shooting itself in the foot on this one, IMO. Deleting "unverifiable" posts that portray Mexico in a bad light?

Bad news travels fast. Censorship is bad news. Why post in an environment like that? People who are discredited in that manner, wont return, especially if the information is legit. People who read about the censorship happening, wont either. That's the way it should be.

Wouldn't one rather SEE important information like this and decide for one's self, if it is legit? Isn't that better than having a potential incident swept under the rug and not be forewarned about this checkpoint? This checkpoint has been the worst one since the 90s, at least. The flim-flamming at it, comes and goes. But it exists. Too many of us have experienced it. That's verification enough for most.

The truth will out. Let statements and posts stand. If they are untrue or simply an aberration, it will be borne out in time.

I'm sticking with Nomads. Still the most freedom. Still the most organized. Still the easiest to find info. Still works for people with attention spans measured in hours and days, instead of nanoseconds.

Still the best. Warts and all.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 03:54 PM

I still want to know why Mike Bowers, the President, of the Homeowners Association, of Punta Chivato, who is not a current teacher like he said, just can't go to "Talk Baja" and write his report there as a first hand report, so the members could question him and ask him if he made an official report?

David K, is a very nice guy, and I can't see why "Talk Baja" would ban him, but it's Ron's site, and he can run it anyway he wants, and he looks quite successful over there on "Facebook."

If RTS551, is a mod at "Talk Baja" and is trolling David K, like Hook claims, then maybe RTS551, should step down as a member of BN, or David K, should be made a special moderator, for RTS551 posts, but then again, the information comes from Hook, so you have to take anything Hook, says with a grain of salt.

I look, read, and even monitor, many of the Baja sites, and in my opinion "Talk Baja" is in the middle of the road, as far as sounding the alarms of the dangers of Mexico and Baja, although in my opinion "Talk Baja" probably has too many moderators, and when you get too many moderators, each has their own idea what they should censor.

This is why I like "Baja Nomad," we don't have any moderators, just the owner.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 06:32 PM

Thanks guys... and for the record, I never beg to be on any Facebook page. I did try to talk to Ron via email or PM that I was not diss'ing Talk Baja by asking a series of what-if or why-not questions on how to HELP people find old posts on Facebook. They seem to just vanish.

I was angry at being banned from Talk Baja for asking how to make something better... Not for using profanity, not for calling anyone names, or posting politics. To me, Ron seemed exhausted, not wanting to second-guess his moderator, and his moderator had to be overjoyed to see me cut. I consider Ron a friend, and a fellow Baja fan with the same desire to help travelers. That he has a moderator that obviously hates helping others, never posts trip reports, or photos, or is even happy, it seems, is odd... but he was available, I guess?

I do like to provide a lot of details and I know not everyone wants or needs that. But, there are some who can't get down to Baja anymore or just like to see my details... I do get emails and u2u's, so for them and as a way to record history, I am into posting details... a Virgo thing, I am told.

It is a joy for me to just drive in Baja and make notes about what is there, where something is, etc. It does little good to keep it all to myself. That would be selfish and I am into sharing.

If Ron wants my contributions back on Talk Baja for his viewers benefit, I will be happy to resume the job I had done there previously.

Ron and me, Sept. 18, 2016.

The Baja Gringo Happy Dance.

[Edited on 8-22-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
just don't get it. David begs to be let back in to talk baja...but hates it. Paco does not use face book but likes Talk baja. You guys need toi

David K you need to stop your preoccupation with me ..Its not healthy anD has me worried,,, how many guns do you own? i DID NOT BAN YOU . Ron did and for good reason. wHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET IT?

I've been around here a long time and have had many run-ins with DavidK. So, I am no "disciple".

But I've always felt that it was YOU who had the preoccupation with HIM. No question. He will cross swords with you when you provoke him, but it is usually YOU who draws the sword first. And I have seen him extend many an olive branch to you, that you ignore.

Hey, David comments on far too many posts that he has little knowledge on. I have called him out on this before, here. It does no good, obviously. But YOU just refuse to let him alone. Always challenging him, making sarcastic comments to him. It's a rare post of his, that you leave alone without some snarky comment. Yes, often between the lines, that any regular here can pick up on.

So, you're a mod on Talk Baja? That figures. You treat him like a surly moderator without the power to delete his posts. Discredit, in lieu of deletion of the post or the poster.

Maybe my favorite was him claiming that HWY 5 was still going to take years to complete and you were all over him about it; refuting his stats on how fast it HAD been built and his predictions on how slow it would continue to go. Of course, either contention was completely unknowable. But you wouldnt let up on him; just INSISTING that it would be done by now. His estimates have proven to be true. It's still probably a minimum of one year away.

And now you have the audacity to put down the Nomads board as being a place deserving of types like David and others? If I was a mod, I would ban your azz from here, immediately! Or, better yet, as you have suggested to others (vis a vis Talk Baja), since you have such a low opinion of Nomads, terminate your own account. Why remain in a place so beneath you?

I am no great fan of DavidK, but you have no credibility, now, with me. Your motives are suspect, now that I realize you are a moderator on a competing Baja website. You have a motive for stirring the pot with David and others; just to give Nomads (or NoMINDS, as you say) the bad image, that you profess it has. Possibly just to send people packing to Talk Baja.

I am happy to spend ZERO time on Talk Baja if moderators delete potential information simply because it cant be independently verified by their nebulous criteria. Especially something as dangerous as this current subject.

All because surfers "might" be engaging in a concerted effort to reduce crowds on their waves? That's a ridiculous reason to delete posts. That's Orwellian. Where's the verification on THAT? Sure, it probably occurs but that's the cure worse than the disease.

And I am sure they are happy I am not there on Talk Baja. 'Cause I would call them on that crap. Win Win!

Besides, not all events that occur in the middle of the desert can be verified. And filing police reports or complaints in Mexico isnt usually productive. JJJ is ALWAYS looking for verification like this, that rarely exists in Mexico. Not reality-based thinking. So, he discounts anything that portrays Baja in a bad light.

From what I have seen over at TB, there IS a bias against anything bad being reported in Baja. Anyway, the whole Facebook organization of posts is just so unorganized.

I agree with the Nomad administrator that virtually no post is deleted here, unless it was simply unrelated to Baja. He lets much go, especially out-and-out attacks on others. The JJJ/"Elvis" wars are a good example. Warts are an inconvenience, but largely harmless.

I like the organization of boards like Nomads or Bloody Decks. Trip related posts go HERE, road condition reports go THERE.

Facebook's organization of posts is like a never-ending case of diarrhea. Finding something valuable in a stream like that is not easy, if it is a few days or weeks old. Very messy. But very immediate, chronologically, no doubt.

Talk Baja is shooting itself in the foot on this one, IMO. Deleting "unverifiable" posts that portray Mexico in a bad light?

Bad news travels fast. Censorship is bad news. Why post in an environment like that? People who are discredited in that manner, wont return, especially if the information is legit. People who read about the censorship happening, wont either. That's the way it should be.

Wouldn't one rather SEE important information like this and decide for one's self, if it is legit? Isn't that better than having a potential incident swept under the rug and not be forewarned about this checkpoint? This checkpoint has been the worst one since the 90s, at least. The flim-flamming at it, comes and goes. But it exists. Too many of us have experienced it. That's verification enough for most.

The truth will out. Let statements and posts stand. If they are untrue or simply an aberration, it will be borne out in time.

I'm sticking with Nomads. Still the most freedom. Still the most organized. Still the easiest to find info. Still works for people with attention spans measured in hours and days, instead of nanoseconds.

Hook, David has since deleted the post where he brought up my name way before I said anything. He had a complaint about me being the monitor on a page he was banned on. Turns out I was traveling during the time he got banned. His incessant arguing with Ron got him booted. And his comments since have not helped no matter how much he begs to get readmitted. Blaming me is his issue.. not mine.

I have been a member here for almost as long as he has...and a member of Amigos before that... Our history goes way back... his olive branch only goes one way and had always been that way. I have no hate (as he claims) but will clearly call BS when I see it.

Talk Baja is not for everyone. It is well moderated by 5 people with no BS allowed by the 39,000 members and hundreds of posts per day.. If that does not fit is your computer repertoire...fine... It is not for everyone.

Even with your quick to judgement posts, I like your fish stories.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 06:50 PM

Yes david was correct on the finishing of HWY 5. No there is no competition between the 2 sites. Where have I ever put down this site?

Again. If this site suits you GREAT, But make it personal fits right in With Davids arguments which I say are wrong.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks guys... and for the record, I never beg to be on any Facebook page. I did try to talk to Ron via email or PM that I was not diss'ing Talk Baja by asking a series of what-if or why-not questions on how to HELP people find old posts on Facebook. They seem to just vanish.

I was angry at being banned from Talk Baja for asking how to make something better... Not for using profanity, not for calling anyone names, or posting politics. To me, Ron seemed exhausted, not wanting to second-guess his moderator, and his moderator had to be overjoyed to see me cut. I consider Ron a friend, and a fellow Baja fan with the same desire to help travelers. That he has a moderator that obviously hates helping others, never posts trip reports, or photos, or is even happy, it seems, is odd... but he was available, I guess?

I do like to provide a lot of details and I know not everyone wants or needs that. But, there are some who can't get down to Baja anymore or just like to see my details... I do get emails and u2u's, so for them and as a way to record history, I am into posting details... a Virgo thing, I am told.

It is a joy for me to just drive in Baja and make notes about what is there, where something is, etc. It does little good to keep it all to myself. That would be selfish and I am into sharing.

If Ron wants my contributions back on Talk Baja for his viewers benefit, I will be happy to resume the job I had done there previously.

Ron and me, Sept. 18, 2016.

The Baja Gringo Happy Dance.

[Edited on 8-22-2018 by David K]

I rest my case on the personal note HOOK.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 07:13 PM

Here is your statement on page three of this post, in reference to someone named Red Mercury:

"You know what??? then stay here! you are constantly on Facebook with rubbish and have been banned from many sites. You fit right in here."

Well?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 07:23 PM

I am in full agreement with the Hook.....

Rts is disrespectful and can't seem to come up with any common courtesy......it's mostly snarks and digs and his main target seems to be DK....the history is clear.

Yeah DK posts a whole bunch.......has strongly held political leanings that gets under some people's skin.......and Rts is right at the top of that pile
You just can't let is go can you Rts? Have to get that dig and snark in.
Sad

Whereas DK seems to always respond to Rts in a friendly and respectful manner......as most every other member of this board.

I too was once a member of this phenom known as Talk Baja a few years ago.
It seemed to me to be a bunch of whiney pseudo gringos from Rosarito Beach looking for a political drum to beat about illegal immigration and Q's about that taco stand down the road.
Ron Gomez is pro illegal immigration and his "disciples" will beat you to death on it if challenged.
They will challenge your immigrations status, time in Baja and where do you go or live in Baja that gives you the creds to post about immigration and the plight of Mexicans in general.

Ron Gomez is a flaming leftist and makes no bones where his political affiliations lie. When he is challenged on it.....out comes the race card.
Adios TB........and good riddence

Take a clue Rts......your snarks are not welcome here.

Be courteous and respectful........is that too much to ask?

[Edited on 8-22-2018 by DaliDali]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 07:31 PM

Welp, were drugs actually planted? Five pages of Dibble with nothing but the same people screaming at shadows on a wall.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 07:44 PM

Here is your statement on page three of this post, in reference to someone named Red Mercury:

"You know what??? then stay here! you are constantly on Facebook with rubbish and have been banned from many sites. You fit right in here."

Well?

Hook here is statement before that... which later he delete but I have learned to quote

"The page owner is Ron, BajaGringo here... and Ralph (rts...) controls posts there, too. Ther are other Nomads who moderate it too.

It could be the typical Facebook issue that posts disappear down somewhere if no activity, which makes finding post near impossible?"

Well? Its not all one sided. You will think what you want. Truth isn't truth. Lol
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Welp, were drugs actually planted? Five pages of Dibble with nothing but the same people screaming at shadows on a wall.

The "Dibble" sometimes need to be aired out.

Far too many accusations going on here...lying, fabricating and outright falsehoods, with JJJ doing his best impression of Joe Friday.

Just suffice to say.....these type of postings can be helpful to the casual tourist to be aware.

For the seasoned traveler or resident, most are aware of these incidents having happened at one time or another.

Let the Dibble go on......some people need to be spanked and outed in jumping to conclusions and outright condemnation of what originally appeared to be a valid incident, based on the history of the San Ig checkpoint.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

The "Dibble" sometimes need to be aired out.

Far too many accusations going on here...lying, fabricating and outright falsehoods, with JJJ doing his best impression of Joe Friday.

Just suffice to say.....these type of postings can be helpful to the casual tourist to be aware.

For the seasoned traveler or resident, most are aware of these incidents having happened at one time or another.

Let the Dibble go on......some people need to be spanked and outed in jumping to conclusions and outright condemnation of what originally appeared to be a valid incident, based on the history of the San Ig checkpoint.

Dali, I disagree, while I have been the victim of pilfering (or at least I thought I was, planting of illegal drugs and extortion is on a whole other level especially when it involves all the military on scene.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 07:51 PM

I've been through the SI checkpoint many,many times on a moto and have only been treated good, but that was me. Good information for people to know. One time my buddies XR650R backfired after we were stopped and remounted to leave, we had at least six M16's pointing at us for a second! I rode out with the same number of holes that I rode in with, but I did pee a little.. . DK thanks for the time you put into your post's, I've used your notes and directions on many occasions... I check this site almost every day and learn something new about the place I love! Thanks to all of you for that...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 08:09 PM

This is mexico. Why are any of you surprised that cops or military are crooked, thugs, or running scams.

The law enforcement and military are rotten to the core.

Never trust law enforcement or military. One day they may help you, the next they may rob you.

On the topic of crooked cops,.... Do you watch Narcos on Netflix? Eagerly awaiting season 4 which takes place in Mexico.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 08:36 PM

Rts.......regardless if you don't put any creds with the original victim or not......it remains a reasonable idea to share that account of a drug plant and or extortion attempts, to maybe have the radar of infrequent travelers to turn full on. This is a good thing.

More than likely, it's not the entire platoon that is involved in nefarious acts at the Q&A lane.
There are bad actors everywhere and a government employee, however low on the pole, certainly does not get a pass.
The rascals who do intimidate and scare travelers may or may not be under orders from the officer in charge. San Ig does have a bad reputation....that is clear.

Incident alerts from posters, both casual travelers or seasoned residents like you and I....it good to know the happenings up and down the highway. I am also concerned for my safety at times on that highway.
It's bleak, sparse and the equivalent of the CHP is not within reach for assistance.
Road signs say "apoyo 24 horas....marca 6xx"......yet there is no cell coverage.

One can draw a conclusion as to the veracity of those reports or not.
The history of the San Ig checkpoint lends validity to those claims in my mind.
Yours maybe not so much.....suits me just fine.

I personally think it's irresponsible to outright deny the validity of these claims and beat down the person who brought this all to light......a Mr Russ. Who as you may well know, it not a newbie to this site, and I believe as a respected member and valued commenter who does not get involved with hyperbole.

Bashing and disrespect of posters who do run up incidents, is the AntiChrist of free flowing information......agreed?

Everyone is waiting with baited breath for you to make inquiries at San Ig and at the comandantes digs in Gro Negro as you promised.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-21-2018 at 08:47 PM
Rampant Halitosis ?

?

"......... Everyone is waiting with baited breath ........."
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.