BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any Peninsula Paddlers?
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 06:10 PM
Any Peninsula Paddlers?

I've been thinking a lot about sea kayaking, the SOC and all my adventures there. So I was curious and did a YouTube search for Baja sea kayaking for the last couple years and all that showed up were day trips and kayak fishing.

Anyone heard or met any kayakers paddling the length of Baja or the whole peninsula in the last couple years?

JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 06:18 PM

totally had the same recent interest. it seems awesome. haven't heard of baja but did come across some dude that did it all the way to hawaii. look it up, very cool. he was half dead when he finally got there.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 06:45 PM

Graham Mackintosh did quite a bit of it; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88201&got...

Maybe this should be moved here from the General Baja Discussion forum?

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gringorio  
I've been thinking a lot about sea kayaking, the SOC and all my adventures there. So I was curious and did a YouTube search for Baja sea kayaking for the last couple years and all that showed up were day trips and kayak fishing.

Anyone heard or met any kayakers paddling the length of Baja or the whole peninsula in the last couple years?

A few years ago I met a guy from Mexico City who was kayaking all of baja coast, plus all mainland coasts. Kind of a circum-navigation of mexico. He hung out with us for a day/2 nites. he seemed to enjoy the break. Looked like fun. He had a website/blog/some sponsors. You can probably find it thru some googling.
I have heard of a number others doing it. Totally doable.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AndyP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2018 at 05:04 PM

I've done a couple extended Sea of Cortez paddle trips, the last one was from BOLA to La Paz in 2014. It's my favorite thing I've ever done... I posted a bunch of photos here:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74497
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 09:27 PM

Thanks everyone! Doesn't sound like there have been any kayakers paddling the whole Baja coast in the last few years.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 10:37 PM

"...come across some dude that did it all the way to hawaii."
I paddled with Ed - took lessons from him, and went on a few trips in Baja with him. The Loreto to La Paz in 10 days was awesome and I'd love to do something like that again. Paddling 1000 miles isn't something undertaken lightly -- requires a time commitment and superior skills. My kayaking days were some of my finest adventures.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 12:05 PM
Any Peninsula Paddlers?

Paddling can be arousing, I'm told.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2018 at 09:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"...come across some dude that did it all the way to hawaii."
I paddled with Ed - took lessons from him, and went on a few trips in Baja with him. The Loreto to La Paz in 10 days was awesome and I'd love to do something like that again. Paddling 1000 miles isn't something undertaken lightly -- requires a time commitment and superior skills. My kayaking days were some of my finest adventures.

Sounds so perfect. It's been a while sine I've been here, would love to see reposts or links of your adventures if available. I'm sure mine are long gone.

Considering finishing my trip I started in 2005.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2018 at 06:26 PM

Hey, you!
Good luck with your restart! Please check in if you are in San Jose!

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2018 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajajudy  
Hey, you!
Good luck with your restart! Please check in if you are in San Jose!

Sure will! I've have the time and freedom now, but worry about, well, a lot of things. If I do start again I'll be sure and post here.

Meanwhile, if there are other Baja distance paddlers out there, would love to hear from you.

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 01:23 PM

"A few years ago I met a guy from Mexico City who was kayaking all of baja coast, plus all mainland coasts. Kind of a circum-navigation of mexico. He hung out with us for a day/2 nites. he seemed to enjoy the break. Looked like fun. He had a website/blog/some sponsors. You can probably find it thru some googling.
I have heard of a number others doing it. Totally doable. "

I'm pretty sure that same guy from Mexico City spent a few days here. This was several years ago and I think it was in February. The guy's name is Abraham Levy. As of a couple of years ago he had a website, but I haven't checked it out in a while. Agree - you should be able to find him through a google search.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 03:10 PM

Found some photos, hope this works.
I scanned a few photos of the Loreto-La Paz trip.
This was the first night destination, Isla Carmen

Several times Ed would spearfish to provide a memorable dinner

We stopped at Mision Dolores for a tour, and filled up with water from their reservoir

One morning we paddled to Punta Roja to wait for slack tide to cross over to Isla San Francisco, This is the family that lives at the cove.

We first went to the southern tip of Isla San Jose to rest before the final stretch to San Francisco. Everyone was very tired at this point, and we whined “why can’t we just stay here”. Ed scolded us and told us to “paddle like you mean it” to get to San Francisco.

So many perfect beaches to camp on

The end of the trip (actually at San Juan de la Costa – lost ½ day from bad weather). Was sad it ended.

Here’s a pic from Salispuedes – we went for whale watching, camped overnight. We paddled out about a mile and never spotted any whales. After we, one by one, came through the surf and hauled the boats to the bluff, we look out and see several whales passing by about 200 yards out.

Good times

[Edited on 9-12-2018 by wilderone]
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 05:30 PM

Thanks for posting up pics, Wilderone.
We're still paddling longer trips in Baja.
U2U me if anyone is interested in getting together for paddling.
Cheers,
Jay
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Graham Mackintosh did quite a bit of it; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88201&got...

Maybe this should be moved here from the General Baja Discussion forum?

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by AKgringo]

See the trip reports forum and follow Graham right now going from Loreto to La Paz.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 02:10 PM

Check out "byhandproject" on Instagram two guys prone paddleing the Pacific coast unassisted.

[Edited on 12-2-2018 by freediverbrian]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.