Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sm. propane canister for camping stove in SJD
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2018 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
that is the key: Fire starters, with pine twigs or sticks (which I’ll bring – have huge supply), and feed a twig or two to keep maximum heat going. The experiment took about 5 minutes, but I should be able to get an acceptable coffee-ready (noodle soup) temperature in about 4 min.

Why reinventing a wheel :)... Alcohol stove will be easier to work with and no soot. 16 oz bottle of alcohol costs less than a dollar in grocery tiendas, will last a few days.

For "smoke and fire" experience try Sierra stove. Once started, it burns everything, dry cow dung, wet twigs etc. Fan creates an effect similar to that in industrial blast furnace. Like with any wood fire, you'll get sooty pots, smoke in your eyes, smoke smell on your clothes, - the whole shebang. At least, it burns well. Fire starters - brown sticks - are nice to have, but again, airlines might not like it. Though they were never able to spot it inside metal Sierra can filled with other items.

Get Single propane burner and you'll be a happy camper with your own kitchen on the beach, without all this mess. Walmart and Home Depot in the US.

Edit-PS: as usual, you get what you pay. $15 Ozark is a so-so, $20 Coleman is slightly better. Flame adjustment knob doesn't work smooth, though better than on-off work of an alcohol stove. $26 Stansport in Home Depot is better, reportedly.

[Edited on 8-27-2018 by Alm]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 11:39 AM

I hear ya, Alm - I will take the alcohol stove, but not going to spend too much time looking for denatured alcohol (maybe at an RV supply store) (isopropyl alcohol does not work - HEET antifreeze works but couldn't find that in Yucatan). I'll be happy with a little twig fire - worked fine in Alaska, but I didn't have a nice pot support on the folding stove I had then, and the flames shot out the sides instead of heating the middle - I can make a bigger fire with my grill support too. I have 9 or 10 stoves as it is - I don't want to buy anything else. I'm separating the fire starters from the kindling - airlines shouldn't have a problem with wax. If the sticks get nixed, not a big deal.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
$26 Stansport in Home Depot is better, reportedly.

I got the tabletop single burner Stansport for my trip to Idaho, did not feel like taking the Coleman two burner. I just set it on the tailgate, worked great. It's only 5500 BTU but that was plenty heat. I did have problems with wind, so I made a cardboard windscreen to place around it. Kind of funky how the bottle attaches, but I've seen pots tumble off those burners that sit on top of the bottle. Without a base you're in trouble too.
https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Single-Burner-Propane-Stove...

John

[Edited on 8-27-2018 by John Harper]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2018 at 01:09 PM

Wilderone, there should be no problem finding a "real" alcohol in Baja. Sold in grocery stores, in cleaning supply isle. It says "not for drinking" but I didn't see any other components mentioned on the bottle, just a plain Alcohol Ethilico, looks like this one:

In a pinch, 70% rubbing alcohol will work too, so-so, it's sold in pharmacies and costs 3 times more than this 96% ethyl alcohol.
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2018 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
Difficult if not impossible to find those MSR cans in Baja or in Central or South America.
Recommend MSR Wisperlight International.
https://www.rei.com/product/830341/msr-whisperlite-internati...

Burns white gas, unleaded or kerosene.

That's what i brought. My 20 yr old unit. Got an extra look at airport screening but was fine. Took a while to find fuel, had the wrong phrase in spanish at first, couldn't work it out in hand language either . Then I learned
the best phrase to remember is the "hardware store"... ferreteria. Then I started seeing them everywhere. All like the old school stores you had up to the Home Depot and the like invasion. They use white gas more as a paint thinner for the locals i think. Glass bottles - odd. Never did see the propane bottles - the common camp ones.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 05:19 PM

Turns out I had no problem with a little wood fire using my fire starters (they worked best), along with my construction pine splinters – was a reliable system with quick results.

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 06:00 PM

Many years ago we searched all over for Coleman Fuel or White Gas with no luck. Then someone told us to go to a paint store and ask for Naptha. It is the same as white gas.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.