Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Shame on you Antonio
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Its just as easy to visit the Los Pinos station or now the new one in Catavina. Competition is good, right?

there is a new gas station in catavina?
I must have been napping

Yes, another Los Pinos station - with a great market as well.

Open already? Diesel?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 04:25 PM

Catavina station was not close to opening six weeks ago
and the store did not sell cerveza
:?::?:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by Email from Antonio  

The water well in town dried out............

That sounds like a major problem for Antonio and the rest of El Rosario. I wonder what the town is going to do.

They will use it farming the entire riverbed until it runs out. Duh.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 05:39 PM

I will buy his gas, stay in his hotel and probably eat at his new restaurant when it is done. I've always had a good experience with the hotel and gas station. Not having water could happen any where, especially Baja, amd it was backed by a good reason for the shortage!
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 05:53 PM

This looks like a job for the Bumper Dumper.

"Take a little wild out of the wilderness"

http://bumperdumper.com

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 06:18 PM
Prepared

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Just stopped at your gas station in El Rosario. We waited specifically to support you and your rescue operation. I made my handicapped wife wait to her discomfort. The bathrooms were closed with a sign that there was no water. That was a boldfaced LIE (una mentira). There was plenty of water at the mop area tap. Baja California, like much of the world, has a water problem. You are not unique. If you run a gas station and take peoples money to support your empire you have a responsibility to have an open and clean restroom. That's just the way it is my friend. We will not be stopping in the future. I would like to suggest others may want to do (not do) the same.
Since when did traveling in Baja require a restroom with water? Oh I forgot it came about when I stopped carrying gas cans.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 06:46 PM

Certain people should stay out of Baja if they are worried about a clean/open bathroom.

From what I've heard from many, the water problem affects much of Baja/Sur.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 07:04 PM

Just stopped at your gas station in El Rosario. We waited specifically to support you and your rescue operation. I made my handicapped wife wait to her discomfort. The bathrooms were closed with a sign that there was no water. That was a boldfaced LIE (una mentira). There was plenty of water at the mop area tap. Baja California, like much of the world, has a water problem. You are not unique. If you run a gas station and take peoples money to support your empire you have a responsibility to have an open and clean restroom. That's just the way it is my friend. We will not be stopping in the future. I would like to suggest others may want to do (not do) the same.

Weebray,
You are a sensitive snowflake. It’s Mexico! Sometimes the bano is closed or atrocious. Get over it!

At least you aren’t black in the USA, count yourself lucky! Did you know that Starbucks doesn’t allow black people to use their restrooms? Truth!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidT  
This looks like a job for the Bumper Dumper.

"Take a little wild out of the wilderness"

http://bumperdumper.com

Don't even need the bucket.

I once saw a guy riding the highway like that. Driver didn't know.

[Edited on 8-23-2018 by Skipjack Joe]
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 08:29 PM
Water supply in El Rosario...

Dear friends,

My apologies to Weebray and anyone else who have stopped at our Gas Station and has been inconvenienced with the lack of restrooms facilities due to the water shortage our town is going thru right now.

Allow me to elaborate:

-- El Rosario has no Public Water Utilities Services (Water, sewage). The solution has been Local Committees formed by the community. The water well that supply our area serves around 600 users. There has always been a lack of coordination and stability in these Committees.

-- The water well that serves our area is 150 feet deep. It was 100' but last year dried out and they made it 50' deeper. However, it ran out of water again.

-- The studies show that the underground water can now be found at 200 feet, however for some technical difficulties they cannot dig deeper in the current well, it seems we need to relocate the well to another area, along with the electric services.

-- The new well relocation cost is around $ 40,000 USD... and here relies the problem. There is no Government aid, all has to be done by the community. Work has already being done to raise that money among the 600 users. You can of course understand the difficulty to coordinate all of them.

-- In the meantime, our area has been having deprived of this resource for almost 10 months now. For the last 2-3 months things have been worst.

-- Thankfully, BajaCactus has been receiving help from local farmers who have their own well. We have been hauling water daily (very expensive) with a Water Tender, as much as we can get our hand on, however it has been just enough to keep our Motel open... unfortunately not sufficient to have the Gas Station restrooms open, which by the way, uses much more water than the motel on a daily basis.

-- In the gas station we are required, by law and regulations, to always have a short supply of water available for fuel spills and/or any kind of emergencies. This is the water Weebray saw as "plenty of water".

Now, the problem is that even when they are able to make a new well and re-start the water services, we will still rely on the "local committee" administrative work to keep it going, and the solidarity and the coordination of the so called 600 users. I have come to realize it is not good enough, I cannot control what the community decides to do... or not to do.

So... last month I started the long process to request the Government for a permit to have our own water well at BajaCactus. I had not done this before because it is a very long and tedious process (natural water resource is very well guarded by our Government) and there is no guarantee to be approved. Besides things have been working in the past, not perfect, but enough to get by.

-- So, I started this process and this past weekend a Geological Survey was done in our property... water was found at 330 feet (aprox).

They told us we should have an answer from the Goverment in the next 6-9 months. If we are approved, and we are able to make a water well, we should eliminate this problem for good.

In the meantime, I am strongly supporting (pushing) the Community in whatever they need to have the work done to make the new well functional as soon as possible.

As you can see, it is very difficult to me to provide what we do not have, and most importantly, what I cannot get. Nevertheless my Staff at the Gas Station have direct instructions to, at their discretion, offer to any customer at the Gas Station, the use our facilities at the Motel, where we do have some water. You just need to ask.

This is not an issue that will be resolved quickly, nor is a matter that we can control.

A final thought... there are no water meters in businesses and/or homes in El Rosario. When the water services are fully operational, we all pay a fixed monthly fee, no matter how much water we use, under these conditions, what would be the point to deny the restrooms services to anyone?... What would I gain as a business?... On the contrary, having clean, fully functional restroom services is on our interest since it draws more customers... and they leave relieved and happy :D ...

By the way... Weebray made me realize I have to be more aggressive in finding a quick/temporary solution, so today I instructed my Supervisor to find if there are any Portable Restrooms companies in the area willing to rent us a couple to have at the Gas Station. I know it will be very expensive because of the distance from San Quintin and that it will not be a pretty solution, but it could be a solution after all.

Again, my apologies to anyone who has been affected by this, it is not intentional... I will keep doing my best effort to solve it as soon as possible... and my deepest Thanks to everyone who have been supporting the Desert Hawks, thanks to you all, is currently the only Active Emergency Rescue Service south of Ensenada.

Happy trails everyone!!!

Antonio Muñoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 8-23-2018 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 09:44 PM

You are not unique. If you run a gas station and take peoples money to support your empire you have a responsibility to have an open and clean restroom. That's just the way it is my friend. We will not be stopping in the future. I would like to suggest others may want to do (not do) the same.

Lots of places in town with banos. Including Mama's a few steps away.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 8-22-2018 at 10:14 PM

I do believe the world would be a better place if we had more Antonio's and less... well, keyboard warrior/complainers. JH
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 05:23 AM

Thanks Antonio. That 400' well is going to be very expensive. Good luck amigo.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 06:21 AM

Thank you,Antonio.....lotsa things seem to be out of our control these days....

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 06:55 AM

I think I have seen everything now.

I can't believe there is a member here calling for a boycott of a Mexican gas station, just because their bathroom was not in working order.

I checked the Mexican constitutions, and nowhere does it guarantee an open and clean restroom, and so that's not the way it is.

I think only McDonald's, comes pretty close to making that a reality.

It's unfortunate that Weebray's handicapped wife, couldn't use the bathroom at that gas station, but we have all been there too, and most of us probably just held it, and searched for another bathroom without calls of gas station, boycotts.

This is what you call "ugly American" behavior in a foreign country, and Antonio, doesn't have to Kowtow, to Weebray, or other Baja members forwarding complaints to Antonio, looking for excuses.

Thank God, most members don't seem to agree with Weebray's, calls for a gas station boycott. So there looks like there is hope after all.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 07:57 AM

Joe,
Try to use the MickeyD downtown Ensenada bano....
Last time I tried it was "outta here pal"

Antonio, that was an elegant response
Good luck solving these woes, my friend
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 08:03 AM
Digging it

400 feet is a fair distance which would be expensive up here. I imagine the costs are less in Mexico, but STILL ......................... ?

I'm reminded of a friend who had a well drilled on some property in Pipes Canyon. He was "guaranteed" that they'd reach water. Which (as it turned out) meant that they'd simply keep drilling (at his expense) until they did.

And they did.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
400 feet is a fair distance which would be expensive up here. I imagine the costs are less in Mexico

Maybe not! Labor is about the only thing in Baja that would be lower than the US. The drilling equipment, well casing, pumps, and other necessities are probably the same as CA plus the 16% IVA added. Even fuel is now higher south of the border than in CA!

Chasing the water deeper will create more storage capacity in a well, but probably not for long as the water table continues to drop.

I am rooting for Antonio to persevere, and prosper!

[Edited on 8-23-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 08:32 AM
Well said Antonio.

Having watched many a well punched in Baja and the USA in search of liquid gold I empathize with your plight. You sometimes find water to both live and prosper and sometimes you don't. The dynamics of aquifers is a barely understood science but one thing we do know is rain events, big rain events are very beneficial to local aquifers.

What we all need in this western continent we call home is a good old fashioned, really wet, wet winter.

We can then return to b-tching about closed roadways and washed out bridges. The bathrooms will have water, might even be clean, and although inconvenienced by travel disruptions noone will have to deal with their own POOH poo. Sometimes seems that is how everyone wants it nowadays.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-23-2018 at 08:46 AM

Consider me castigated. The more vitriolic posts, from the usual suspects, I ignore. The rational responses are appreciated. Antonio's answer was also constructive in putting more light on the issue. I would like to add a few notes to clarify my motivation in the first place. The sign said there was NO water, that was simply not true and it bothered me that someone was filling the mop bucket right under the sign. Next door the dirt was being watered. I asked for a key for what I considered an urgent need. The cashier said she did not have one. OK, I went up to the office - they also said they did not have a key. Oh sure! Later, at the motel, we observed a contractor's pick-up filling up 11(eleven) 5 gal. containers from the hose in the parking lot. I assume they were guests at the motel. An employee was washing down the walkway. I would like to humbly suggest having a key available with the bathrooms well marked as to the water shortage. You could even turn off the sink taps. You may have an employee stress the water shortage when handing out the key. Attach the key to an EMPTY water bottle. Using the bathroom while stopping for gas is a time honored tradition. My bad for assuming that what I remembered was a nice place to be as it always was. Boycott is not what I was suggesting and my post was poorly worded. I am suggesting that you make other plans if you count on a bathroom when you stop. To all you cowboys that prefer to water the cholla you may be interested to hear that the old Mexico you knew in 1970 is changing. If you're not interested in changing with it so be it. Frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.