BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TIPs & GVWR
downsize

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 08:05 PM
TIPs & GVWR

Any new info from folks would be appreciated.

I've read where vehicles have been impounded at SJD because of no/expired TIPs...
Have also been told I won't be able to get my f450 across.

Our estimated crossing date is mid-October
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 08:10 PM

Where is SJD?

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

downsize

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 08:14 PM

San Jose Airport BCS
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 08:32 PM

Did you mean to say no/expired tags instead of TIPs? I believe that vehicle TIPs (and weight restrictions) only apply on the mainland crossings. I could be wrong though, which border crossing are you planning to use?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
downsize

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 02:05 AM

It's my understanding that an incident happened due to a foreign plated vehicle being noticed when dropping off / picking up someone.

It seems that very recently (the last year or so) baja has started to adopt the restrictions of the mainland... and all it takes is to get recognized by the wrong official at the wrong time to get in some serious trouble

[Edited on 8-25-2018 by downsize]
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 06:22 AM

No TIP required on the Baja. I live in La Paz and have made many trips to pick up and drop off at the airport and never had even a funny look!!! Most of the time when we hear these kinds of reports they are either fabricated or a case of misunderstanding the intent. Fabrication is easy to understand, someone just wants to be a fear monger. Misunderstanding the intent can be a little more challenging to understand. Most of these cases and there are not very many, are when the authorities stop someone for mordita and the person that is stopped believes the story and pays the "fine". When you are not another country it is your responsibility to at least have a working concept of the laws/rules. There are people that believe they check your immigration status at the military stops from time to time!!

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 06:32 AM

It is true for all my reading that this issue is not applicable for Baja and the state of Sonora.
Further reading indicates that the Mx authorities did not understand GVWR for trucks. So the solution is to issue TIP's for these rigs as a commercial truck and base the TIP cost on the estimated cargo and the problem goes away with slightly increased TIP cost. Apparently this fix is not in widespread use at this time.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 11:08 AM

It may also be that "downsize" is confusing vehicles for vessels. There was some issues a couple years ago when suddenly they started checking marinas and found many of the "vessels" didn't have the required TIP. Since then all the marinas I have dealt with require a copy of your TIP before they will rent a slip.

In Memory of E-57
downsize

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 11:28 AM

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

We're trying our best to get "informed and prepared" to prevent issues long-term

Our main goal is to eliminate all odds of possibly:
-getting our trailer and/or truck on a TIP (we plan on keeping them in BCS forever once they are parked)
-running into future problems at the border due to an expired TIP that is tied to our passport number
-being refused entry at the border because someone wants to enforce the gvwr restriction on the truck
-getting our truck confiscated at some point
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by downsize  
Any new info from folks would be appreciated.

I've read where vehicles have been impounded at SJD because of no/expired TIPs...
Have also been told I won't be able to get my f450 across.

I am sure you have searched on line for info, but if you haven't seen this link, check it out; https://www.mexperience.com/bringing-foreign-plated-cars-int...

About half way down is info about Sonora, and Baja.

On another site, I found a report of someone flying back to the US on an FMM being fined for leaving his vehicle at the airport (on the mainland) because the TIP is only valid while the permit holder is in country. It is also invalid after 180 days.

[Edited on 8-25-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
downsize

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 08:24 PM

A simple fine would be welcomed when compared with having to haul both truck & trailer round trip across the border and back

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.