Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: USA/Mexico Trade pact
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 03:22 PM
USA/Mexico Trade pact

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mexico-us-reach-new-trade-d...

[Edited on 8-27-2018 by DaliDali]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 04:22 PM

"Trump would have to go back to Congress to ratify a bilateral agreement with Mexico, said Mickey Kantor, who oversaw America’s entry into Nafta as Bill Clinton’s first U.S. trade representative."

"Republican Senator Orrin Hatch, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, called the deal with Mexico an important step but added that “a final agreement should include Canada.” As the main trade committee in the Senate, the finance panel’s approval will be key to any deal."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-27/nafta-bre...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
"Trump would have to go back to Congress to ratify a bilateral agreement with Mexico, said Mickey Kantor, who oversaw America’s entry into Nafta as Bill Clinton’s first U.S. trade representative."

"Republican Senator Orrin Hatch, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, called the deal with Mexico an important step but added that “a final agreement should include Canada.” As the main trade committee in the Senate, the finance panel’s approval will be key to any deal."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-27/nafta-bre...

That's the normal course of trade agreements....Congress has to give it the green light.
If one were to drill down on the provisions, it seems to be a win win for both Mexico and the USA.....as reported by the US Trade representative, who was in the negotiations.....in the flesh.

Nieto must have been ok with it.....his trade negotiators must have been ok with......all agreed to it and sat in motion the process of getting Congress to agree. They have 90 days to look it over from what I gather.

If it's a good deal for both Mexico and the USA, no reason not to approve it and into codified law.
Politics as they are in this age, someone will come up with a reason/reasons to try and dump it.....bet on that.
And my strong suspicions would not be on substance, but rather a rank political move to deny Trump any momentum.

Canada is next up....now with perhaps a bit stronger incentive to cut the deal....like MX did.

Which was the push from the get go for the US.......get a better deal.

[Edited on 8-28-2018 by DaliDali]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 05:50 PM

Leaving "money" on the table ... is not a positive when negotiating
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 07:06 PM

Mexico is already saying..."not without Canada" https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/pena-nieto-hints-mexico-and...

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2018 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Mexico is already saying..."not without Canada" https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/pena-nieto-hints-mexico-and...

Odd......on the link all I see is>>>>>

"Pena Nieto says he's "quite hopeful" Canada will be part of the trade deal"

That suggests it will go ahead whether Canada likes it or not. Previously, Mexico had always said it was a three-party agreement.

I am "quite" hopeful also for Canada to join in.
Make it a 3 way.....

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 07:25 AM

Mexican autoworkers are going to love Trump. Require $16/hr wages!

In Memory of E-57
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  

My old business partner always told me that "leave some money on the table and everyone is happy."

Where we always differed was the definition of "some."

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

Yeah, that's the only bright spot, the Mexican autoworkers, but the Canadians, Japanese, Chinese, and the Europeans aren't liking it, because Trump, is trying to screw all of them.

It's still not a done deal, and Trump, is premature, thinking this is a great deal, and really he is just doing this because he needs a win badly, as the walls are closing in on Trump, and his criminal family.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 09:08 AM

Don't know about that. What I've been reading has words like this:

"The new deal would require that 40% to 45% of auto parts in cars sold be made by workers earning at least $16 USD per hour."

It's hard to imagine they are going to raise pay in Mexico from a few dollars per hour to 16. Sixteen dollars an hour is way out of whack when compared to current wages and wages in other industries in Mexico.

Make the engine in the US. What percentage of the parts does that account for? Then assemble the cars in Mex. using workers making the typical Mexican wage.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/mexico-us-trade-...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 09:25 AM

Don't know about that. What I've been reading has words like this:

"The new deal would require that 40% to 45% of auto parts in cars sold be made by workers earning at least $16 USD per hour."

It's hard to imagine they are going to raise pay in Mexico from a few dollars per hour to 16. Sixteen dollars an hour is way out of whack when compared to current wages and wages in other industries in Mexico.

Make the engine in the US. What percentage of the parts does that account for? Then assemble the cars in Mex. using workers making the typical Mexican wage.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/mexico-us-trade-...

Yes, hard to imagine this could be correct..
But it's GREAT deal, if true, for the parts makers in Saltillo MX and other plants.

This possible chance to give some Mexican factory workers a boost should be cause for glee and support.....rather than digging for faults to de-rail it.

And a good deal for the US rust belt parts plants to keep a larger share of those parts markets.

Based on the political climate in the US right now, my strong suspicions are not so much the nuts and bolts of the deal, but rather a rank attempt by some to deny Trump any momentum going into the election seasons by picking that deal apart to find a slice of fault.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 09:51 AM

Heaven forbid Mexican workers start to receive a livable wage :o

Perhaps some are afraid they won't be able to exploit illegals if they aren't as eager to come staff your restaurants and mow your lawns.

In Memory of E-57
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 10:10 AM

Perhaps some are afraid they won't be able to exploit illegals if they aren't as eager to come staff your restaurants and mow your lawns.

It's a balancing act. I'm not against higher wages in Mexico but the higher they go, the more attractive factories in Brazil or other places is.

A jump from current wages to 16 dollars an hour is a BIG one. At least a 100% raise, probably more. Talk about government meddling in the free market, jeez.

This could lead to fewer auto manufacturing jobs in Mexico, which, of course, most Americans would say: So what? Good!

[Edited on 8-28-2018 by SFandH]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 10:31 AM

A jump from current wages to 16 dollars an hour is a BIG one. Talk about government meddling in the free market, jeez. This could lead to fewer auto manufacturing jobs in Mexico.

Are you in the side of advocating BIG government meddling in free markets in the USA, with a "mandated" living wage of $15 bucks an hour, as some politicians are behind?

Shipping auto parts to South America has its costs....far more expensive than a couple hundred miles into the "Detroit" of Northern Mexico for sure.

I don't know if the cost benefits of shipping parts to South America is sufficient enough to overcome a healthy pay raise for Mexican factory workers.
Do you?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 10:52 AM

I'm just being cautious and playing devil's advocate. I'd like to see a win-win deal and it's not clear that Mexico will win anything. It could be the result is fewer auto jobs in Mexico, and a low paid job is better than no job.

It's true Mexican auto workers are underpaid but, IMHO, increasing wages over a period of time, say 5 years, would be less disruptive.

If you go back to last spring when including a Mexican wage floor in NAFTA was first discussed you'll see that that Mexican government was against it. Pena Nieto caved. Don't know why, but I'd guess because he wanted the deal before AMLO takes over.

What's going to happen when the guy working in the electronics factory is making 1/2 of what his buddy working in the auto plant makes and they both do essentially the same type of work?

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 11:09 AM

No, I'm just being cautious and playing devil's advocate. I'd like to see a win-win deal and it's not clear that Mexico will win anything. It could be the result is fewer auto jobs in Mexico, and a low paid job is better than no job.

It's true Mexican auto workers are underpaid but, IMHO, doubling the wages or whatever over a period of time, say 5 years, would be less disruptive.

If you go back to last spring when including a Mexican wage floor in NAFTA was first discussed you'll see that that Mexican government was against it. Pena Nieto caved. Don't know why, but I'd guess because he wanted the deal before AMLO takes over.

What's going to happen when the guy working in the electronics factory is making 1/2 of what his buddy working in the auto plant makes and they both do essentially the same type of work?

Ok I can accept that....

I wanted to take the high road and hope that the MX factory workers could catch a better wage, rather than be a devils advocate and look for a niche or two to downplay it all.

I would hope more people can come to support this deal, rather than the other end and diss it.

Pipe dream?....I sure hope not.

It sure has a political component.....that is a given.
With one party refusing to do anything that would give Trump a leg up, even if it does the country as a whole, some good.

Do you see it that way?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 11:24 AM

I see no point in expressing my political views. I'm just looking at the deal and imagining intended and unintended consequences.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 11:35 AM

I see no point in expressing my political views. I'm just looking at the deal and imagining intended and unintended consequences.

Fair enough.....I am about up to my eyeballs in the political side also.

Have a great day wherever you are

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 12:44 PM

How Pathetic Trump false phone tag with the Mexican President. Again there is no deal yet, and NAFTA is not being replace, the only thing happened was a preliminary steps in advance of the NAFTA talks.

You would think that Trump would demand the "wall" to be built and paid for by Mexico, before any talk of negotiating NAFTA.

Trump, promised the wall, and said Mexico is going to pay for it, what happened?

It’s not a deal, it’s not that big, and it’s not replacing NAFTA

President Trump invited reporters into the Oval Office on Monday to punctuate the moment in an unusual way: allowing them to sit in on a celebratory phone chat with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto.

But when he punched a button on a phone on the Resolute Desk, the line was dead.

“Enrique?” Trump said, with television cameras rolling. There was no response. “You can hook him up,” he called out to aides. “You tell me when. This is a big deal. A lot of people are waiting.”

The audience, including top White House advisers and Mexican diplomats, would have to wait a touch longer — “Hellooo,” the president tried again. “Do you want to put that on this phone please? Hellooo?” — before an aide finally took the receiver and patched Peña Nieto through.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/08/28/i...

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-28-2018 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  

My old business partner always told me that "leave some money on the table and everyone is happy."

Where we always differed was the definition of "some."

That is correct Sir ... some :):) ... will say I worked for a few that had the other thought process ... leave none ... I didn't last

[Edited on 8-29-2018 by wessongroup]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.