Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Canada O Canada
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 11:10 AM
Canada O Canada

In today's paper under the Heloise column a lady said her daughter flew into Canada with her company group for business and upon arriving her daughter was informed that she could not enter the country for 10 years following a DWI. She was put on a plane home.

Could this be true. What other traffic offenses would be passed on to the passport people, speeding tickets, car wrecks, parking tickets. Will Mexico be next to enforce such rules.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Could this be true. What other traffic offenses would be passed on to the passport people, speeding tickets, car wrecks, parking tickets. Will Mexico be next to enforce such rules.

Oh man, ALL the databases are being combined and the info will be available to all authorities, everywhere. Data storage capacity, processing power, artificial intelligence software to perform the data sorting task, and the bandwidth to deliver the data are all there now. Very Orwellian. Privacy is gone.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 11:37 AM

I have the Canadian satellite provider Shaw, here where I live full time in Baja.

There is a whole series devoted to "Border Wars" and it's all about the Canadian border immigration system at the border.

Filmed like a "reality" show where it's live and on film, the interactions between CA custom agents and the border crossers.

Those CA border agents are very relentless in the stopping of potential smugglers and people who are attempting to pull a fast one with no visa to do so legally.
As it should be. Sovereign is sovereign after all.

The excuses some people use is hilarious!!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 12:01 PM

Even misdemeanor DWI arrests are treated as a felony in Canada, and I don't know what other offenses are considered that way. You are deemed 'inadmissible' for five years after the offense and any sentence (including probation) that was ordered.

After the five years, you may apply for a certificate of 'rehabilitation', which will take time and money well before you get to the border. After ten years with no other offenses, you may be deemed rehabilitated and allowed to enter the country. I depends on the border agent!

They have the option of granting a one time waiver (for a fee) of the statute for some one who shows up unaware of their inadmissibility, but again, it depends on the agent and probably what else they see in the background check.

If a person who has been denied entry, or has been granted the waiver shows up at any other entry point before getting the 'rehabilitation certificate', they can be arrested on the spot!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 12:15 PM

Welcome to the dystopian future we all knew was coming...

It's here now...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 02:02 PM

In today's paper under the Heloise column a lady said her daughter flew into Canada with her company group for business and upon arriving her daughter was informed that she could not enter the country for 10 years following a DWI. She was put on a plane home.

Yes, canada will not let in people with felonies and violent misdemeanors. Dui is a bad crime, dont blame canada for such a policy. Good reminder to all you nomads: dont drink and drive.

Fyi, usa also refuses entry to a long list of criminal convictions.

A reminder to all: dont be criminal!

P.s. you seem to equate dui with parking tickets. In my book dui is about same as attempted murder.

[Edited on 8-31-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 02:31 PM

Time to update her resume, she's not going to be at that company much longer.

John
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 03:36 PM

Hey murica has been doing the same thing to Canadians for a long time. I have friends that have to fly over murica for things as lame as minor pot arrests.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 12:09 PM

Could this be true. What other traffic offenses would be passed on to the passport people, speeding tickets, car wrecks, parking tickets.

Yes, it's true. Every country has different laws, people are not always aware. Those other traffic offenses are not on the list.

That show - Border Security - is a real thing, quite interesting to watch. They stopped making it few years ago, still very relevant today. DUI is one of the most common issues. Another one is the misinterpreted rule of "legal medicinal marijuana" - legal to use, illegal to take across the border, even with prescriptions. Trying to conceal in candies and cookies usually makes it worse.

US CBP may also deny entry to people with recent offenses that are considered felonies in the US code. Databases are shared, doesn't matter if you arrive by air or by land, or entering the US from Canada or Mexico. Regardless of criminal offenses, US have been keeping tabs on movements of their nationals much better than Canada, and were pressuring Canada for years to do the same. Since the last agreement you can't leave the US to CAN or CAN to US without the govt of your country of origin knowing about it.

[Edited on 9-1-2018 by Alm]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 12:37 PM

That TV Border Security program also surfaces a surprising number of US citizens who don't know what the legalities are re: bringing firearms and ammunition into Canada....

That and PD Live are lessons in what to do and not do ...and understanding tactics used. :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
That TV Border Security program also surfaces a surprising number of US citizens who don't know what the legalities are re: bringing firearms and ammunition into Canada....

That and PD Live are lessons in what to do and not do ...and understanding tactics used. :light:

A while back, I asked the CA immigration directly, about a pass through Canada, on to Alaska, bucket list adventure trip, that would include backcountry forays.

I had asked about bringing in a rifle for personal protection in Alaska.

I don't recall their exact response......but it was 99% NO and 1% maybe.

[Edited on 9-1-2018 by DaliDali]

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 01:23 PM

I have traveled through Canada twice with firearms, and there is no problem with standard rifles and shotguns, but any handguns or sawed off rifles and shotguns are illegal! Even semi-auto carbines such as my Ruger mini-14 and an SKS were allowed!

At the inspection station, I handed them a list of the make, caliber and serial number and paid a small import fee, which I understand is per visit, not per firearm.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 01:48 PM

Is the DWI/DUI ruling that Canada uses from a US court verdict or from the DMV. When you get a DUI in the US there is a court ruling which is normally handled by a lawyer and a DMV ruling which may or may not be handled by a lawyer, but they are separate.
tobianogreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 02:24 PM

Canucks can’t even admit to past pot use entering the US, even tho it’s legal in WA state and about to be legalized in CA.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pot-border-banned-waiver-1....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 03:08 PM

Is the DWI/DUI ruling that Canada uses from a US court verdict or from the DMV. When you get a DUI in the US there is a court ruling which is normally handled by a lawyer and a DMV ruling which may or may not be handled by a lawyer, but they are separate.

You wouldn’t have these questions if you had not been too cheap to take an Uber!
Now you know that Uber is cheaper than dealing with a DUI :lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have traveled through Canada twice with firearms, and there is no problem with standard rifles and shotguns, but any handguns or sawed off rifles and shotguns are illegal! Even semi-auto carbines such as my Ruger mini-14 and an SKS were allowed!

At the inspection station, I handed them a list of the make, caliber and serial number and paid a small import fee, which I understand is per visit, not per firearm.

Good deal and thank you for clearing this up.
It was quite a while back that I asked them about it and it may have been a "firearm" Q, rather than a rifle.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 03:47 PM

You sound very very worried, when did you get your DUI?

I must admit, Canada, is very anal when it comes to DUI's from Americans.

This is a country that is about a month away from making recreational marijuana legal in about a month, and has me following a lot of Canadian stocks, that have been flying high the last couple of days.

I don't know for sure, but I think Canada gets the arrest records, from the same place US Customs, does, and that would be a federal data base, and therefore, they could go back more than 10 years.

Canadians don't care if it's a felony or minor misdemeanor, DUI, you received many years back, they want to keep you out, and it's causing lots of American families problems about these unknown DUI's of family members.

The good news is that if you come clean, and admit you have a DUI, before traveling to Canada, you could fill out a " Temporary Resident Permit (TRP), or a more permanent solution, a criminal rehabilitation application, where you ask them to forgive your DUI, provided something like five years has passed, and you have kept off the sauce, or have not been caught again.

Anyway, that's what I last heard a few years ago, maybe it changed since then.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 07:21 PM

At least the Canadians don't steal your children, incarcerate them, and turn them into orphans and wards of the government. Only in America.

John

[Edited on 9-2-2018 by John Harper]
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 08:17 PM

Actually, we did. We took kids from their families, isolated them residential schools and ruined their futures.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 12:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tobianogreg  
Canucks can’t even admit to past pot use entering the US, even tho it’s legal in WA state and about to be legalized in CA.

You are not allowed to take pot across the border regardless of your citizenship. US CBP applies same laws to both "canucks" and "muricans". Try and bring marijuana from Canada to the US, declare it at the border and see what happens.

It's not a good idea to voluntarily admit the past use, either, - unless you had past marijuana arrests, in which case you have no choice but to say Yes, if they ask. Possession of marijuana is a federal offense in the US. Some states may legalize it, but the border is governed by federal laws.

If you don't believe, there is an easy way to check: while waiting in the border line to enter the US, have a quick smoke, make sure there is a smell in your car, and then tell CBP that you are a pot user, but it's "legal in WA and about to be legalized in CA".

[Edited on 9-2-2018 by Alm]
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.