Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I don't understand why anyone needs a card

It fits in my wallet?

John
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-4-2018 at 01:08 PM

I have both! I carry my card in my wallet, and use it wherever I can. I have my book stored as securely as I can in a soft top vehicle, or in my room when I have one.

Besides having the option of Flying out of Mexico in an emergency, I have a back-up proof of citizenship at the border if the other one is lost, stolen, or destroyed.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-4-2018 at 01:08 PM

so does my passport book : )

IMG_1704.JPG - 88kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2018 at 01:11 PM

The card is also handy to have because you can hold it up to the RFID readers in the non-Sentri lanes at the crossings. By the time you get to the booth, the inspector has your info on his data screen. It speeds things up for you and everyone else.

Maybe you can do that with the new passport books too. I don't know. But the passport book I have now doesn't work which I think precludes its use in the Ready Lanes.

Plus, having both is almost like having a spare in case one gets lost. I normally carry my card and keep the book stashed away.

[Edited on 9-4-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-4-2018 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Plus, having both is almost like having a spare in case one gets lost. I normally carry my card and keep the book stashed away.

a card is worthless if you fly...its not a very good back up

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2018 at 02:21 PM

That's why I said "almost" like having a spare. Besides, I carry the card, so that's what I would most likely lose if I lost one of them. That would leave the fully functional book as my backup.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2018 at 02:36 PM

A passport card in a wallet has saved many a traveler tons of grief. Passport books get stolen, get lost, get forgotten.
Our son was at JFK and realized he had forgot his book. He was heading to Fort Lauderdale to get on a Caribbean cruise. He called the cruise line and was told the card was acceptable. So the card saved him the cost of the cruise.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
PamelaP

Mood: Better in Baja! With wine of course!

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 01:36 PM

Anyone know where the Ready Lane is located at Calexico East location or have a map so we can use our Pass Cards on the way back north?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 02:45 PM

What about timing fro renewal? Can I get it before it expires? How much time before it expires?
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 03:20 PM

I just did a renewal, got it back in the mail yesterday, went for the
Passport Book, 17 days total turnaround, my previous Passport
Book was to expire Oct.2. These passport acceptance facilities,
post office, etc. I don't get it. They charge $35 dlls to mail in
your form, do it yourself mail it in. I believe this weekend,
most US Passport Offices have something called a Passport
day, they take new and renewals, again one doesn't gain
anything

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
I just did a renewal, got it back in the mail yesterday, went for the
Passport Book, 17 days total turnaround, my previous Passport
Book was to expire Oct.2. These passport acceptance facilities,
post office, etc. I don't get it. They charge $35 dlls to mail in
your form, do it yourself mail it in. I believe this weekend,
most US Passport Offices have something called a Passport
day, they take new and renewals, again one doesn't gain
anything

Perhaps you can just mail it yourself for a renewal? Can you post up a link to this mail in renewal option?

I would think for your original passport they want to verify you/ID/photo are all the same person.

John
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
What about timing fro renewal? Can I get it before it expires? How much time before it expires?

You're suppose to renewal your passport about six months before it expires, because countries don't want you inside their country, when you passport expires. Always check the country you're visiting to see what their requirements for passports.

The other question about renewing your passport online. You send your old passport in with the printed documents you downloaded, and you also send two photos of yourself, usually done at a place like "Walgreens" and a few weeks later you will get your passport.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2018 at 06:40 AM

Thanks
PW
=========== =
Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

You're suppose to renewal your passport about six months before it expires, because countries don't want you inside their country, when you passport expires. Always check the country you're visiting to see what their requirements for passports.

The other question about renewing your passport online. You send your old passport in with the printed documents you downloaded, and you also send two photos of yourself, usually done at a place like "Walgreens" and a few weeks later you will get your passport.
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2018 at 10:50 AM

I don't cross every day, and only have a card.

It's more convenient for me, I don't need the book, it's a waste of money for me to get the book, and my actual passport expired in 1995.

I have the card and my Sentri pass, and those work fine for me.
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2018 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bajapedro  
Had pre-paid FFM through Baja Travel Club and tried to get it stamped Mexicali West Friday morning. (no, immigration office is still in same place) Only had my Sentri card. They insisted I needed paper passport to enter or get FFM.

Is the Sentri Card what you used at Discover Baja to get it? What happened next at Mexicali?

Used my paper passport with Discovery Baja to get FFM. Never occurred to me that would need it to get FFM at boarder, as I was under the impression from US customs that it was a passport. Immigration officer said that Sentri is only for crossing back into US and not recognized as a legitimate passport in Mexico. I tried to argue that Sentri is a passport card, but he was having none of it. Told him he was making difficult to comply to his country's requirements. He went on to say even if I had my paper passport, a prepaid FFM, even with an official receipt was no good and that the fees should just be paid at the boarder. The impression I had was this was all really about money.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2018 at 07:51 AM

A Sentri card, I don't believe, establishes citizenship. It certainly
was never designed to be used as a Passport. Even the Passport
card was not designed to function as a full US Passport, it has
a fairly limited use

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2018 at 08:33 AM

Lots of Mexicans have Sentri cards.

"There are no citizenship or age requirements for Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) membership."

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/sentri/...

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2018 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by daveB  
Canadians can get a Nexus card, issued by US authorities, after an personal interview done in the US. Many have the card as it circumvents long lineups for them, but if traveling with others, all must have such a card in order for it to work. Of course international air travel is done only with a passport.

Just to dispell some myths...

Nexus card is more like a Canadian Sentri card rather than a passport card.

It is issued jointly by US and Canadian customs, not by the US alone.

An interview may be done either in "border enrollment centers" on the US side or in Canada far away from the border. In either scenario US customs officer is sitting next to the Canadian one and asks same questions, because the card is issued jointly by Canada and US.

It may be used to jump the line when crossing Canada/US border in any direction by any means of transportation, or enter US from Mexico via Ready lane or Ped Sentri. It may be used in a vehicle Sentri lane but the car should be added through the US CBP first.

It may be used on flights into the US or Canada without a passport.

It may not be used to enter any country other than Canada or US, no matter by land or air - similarly to Sentri that in itself is not a valid document to enter Mexico.

[Edited on 9-29-2018 by Alm]
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2018 at 04:36 PM

I have just the card but I drive down
If I was flying anywhere out of the USA I would get a regular passport
There isn't anywhere in Mexico that I would want to go that I can't drive to so for me it's just the card.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.