Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Drinking Water in Baja
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
And the water I drink has no taste.

Just like too many people out there today.

John

[Edited on 9-12-2018 by John Harper]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
I suppose I get enough of the bodily required minerals and salt with my normal diet.

The problem is that travelers rarely keep a normal diet, unlike people living in their homes.

When you become really dehydrated, you are losing salt with sweat and need to replenish it fast. Mineral water will have little value when you are not dehydrated, obviously.
bajabound888

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 11:17 AM

A little bit of Celtic or Hymalayan salt before you drink water will ensure you are hydrated....

https://youtu.be/Dm6fmiG4SAc
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 03:47 PM

Yep. This is called restoring electrolyte balance. She is right about sea water in this video too, can be added in small amounts to RO water if this is all you have.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 07:04 PM

Does diet coke, my main water source, fit into a naturopathic lifestyle? Should I add Himalayan sea salt to the coke?

BTW, how do you get sea salt from the Himalayas?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 07:25 PM

I've been known to add a splash of diet coke to my cuba libres
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 08:04 PM
Salty Scheisse

Wikipedia:

Himalayan salt is rock salt or halite from the Punjab region of Pakistan. Numerous health claims have been made concerning himalayan salt, but there is no scientific evidence that it has better effects or healthier than common table salt and the claims are considered pseudoscience.

Although its salt is sometimes marketed as "Jurassic Sea Salt", this salt deposit comes from a seabed of the Permian and Cretaceous eras 100 to 200 million years ago. This sea became landlocked and evaporated, leaving a dense salt deposit, colored by a common pink microorganism that had lived in it. Over the next few hundred million years, that deposit was at the border of a continental plate, and was pushed up into a mountain range in Pakistan.

The concentration of salt near Khewra, Punjab, is said to have been discovered around 326 BC when the troops led by Alexander the Great stopped to rest there and noticed their horses licking the salty rocks. Salt was probably mined there from that time, but the first records of mining are from the Janjua people in the 1200s.

Himalayan salt is mostly mined at the Khewra Salt Mine in Khewra, Jhelum District, Punjab, which is situated in the foothills of the Salt Range hill system in the Punjab province of the Pakistan Indo-Gangetic Plain.

Himalayan salt is chemically similar to table salt plus mineral impurities including chromium, iron, zinc, lead, and copper. Some salts mined in the Himalayas are not suitable for use as food or industrial use without purification due to these impurities.

Some salt crystals from this region have an off-white to transparent color, while impurities in some veins of salt give it a pink, reddish, or beet-red color.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 08:20 PM

Well, that explains it. Powerful geologic forces and 200 million years. It's gotta be good. I'm not going to waste it by adding to diet coke. Maybe I'll switch to that water stuff.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-13-2018 at 05:42 AM

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/different-types-of-salt...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-13-2018 at 06:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Wikipedia:

Himalayan salt is rock salt or halite from the Punjab region of Pakistan. Numerous health claims have been made concerning himalayan salt, but there is no scientific evidence that it has better effects or healthier than common table salt and the claims are considered pseudoscience.

Although its salt is sometimes marketed as "Jurassic Sea Salt", this salt deposit comes from a seabed of the Permian and Cretaceous eras 100 to 200 million years ago. This sea became landlocked and evaporated, leaving a dense salt deposit, colored by a common pink microorganism that had lived in it. Over the next few hundred million years, that deposit was at the border of a continental plate, and was pushed up into a mountain range in Pakistan.

The concentration of salt near Khewra, Punjab, is said to have been discovered around 326 BC when the troops led by Alexander the Great stopped to rest there and noticed their horses licking the salty rocks. Salt was probably mined there from that time, but the first records of mining are from the Janjua people in the 1200s.

Himalayan salt is mostly mined at the Khewra Salt Mine in Khewra, Jhelum District, Punjab, which is situated in the foothills of the Salt Range hill system in the Punjab province of the Pakistan Indo-Gangetic Plain.

Himalayan salt is chemically similar to table salt plus mineral impurities including chromium, iron, zinc, lead, and copper. Some salts mined in the Himalayas are not suitable for use as food or industrial use without purification due to these impurities.

Some salt crystals from this region have an off-white to transparent color, while impurities in some veins of salt give it a pink, reddish, or beet-red color.

Speaking of Which,.... Alexander the Great’s horse Bucephalus is supposedly buried somewhere around Jhelum.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2018 at 10:48 AM

There is no need to go overboard with naturopathy. Salt additives become important when you lose a lot of salt and need to replenish it quickly, before more damage is done to your organs. Ex., after physical activity when you lose more than 3% of body weight in sweat. When driving a car in Baja, even in summer heat without A/C, this is less likely to happen.

Try listening to your body. When you are moderately dehydrated, mineral water or diet coke is better than pure water, but if you are going to be home soon, there is no disaster if you only have RO water with you.

Edit-PS: on the 2nd thought - forget the diet coke. You might need one for energy boost when dehydration is caused by physical activity (among other things), but caffeine impedes the hydration.

[Edited on 9-13-2018 by Alm]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.