BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Vote for your favorite Baja Person!!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 07:52 AM

I would agree that David K brings a ton of information to all of us!I was just rereading some of his research posts from last year to help plan my trip later this year! Thanks for all of your work...

How did I forget Coco! You never will meet a guy with a better attitude about life. Always has a story to tell and advise to give!

As many have said Poncho was one of a kind and such an ambassador for all of Baja! I always loved taking new people to Baja, and a visit to Poncho's was always a hit and talked about every time Baja comes up.
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 07:57 AM

Shari and Blanca...and I've never met either of them
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
I fondly remember the Tamale Lady!!!!!

From Bob H:

In Villa Jesus María, next to Pemex station...

[Edited on 9-16-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 08:17 AM

George Bergin (Osprey), for pursuing his dream of living in Baja and making it work until his final breath. And for his essays and stories that live on.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 10:28 AM

My All time favorites are Dennis and Pompano...both Special characters ! Can Someone post a couple of Pompano with his ladies?!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 10:56 AM

POMPANO and some of his ladies! Perhaps Don Jorge can get him back on to write us? Or at least give us an update.

Enjoy...

http://s277.photobucket.com/user/bajaroger/media/ABOARD%20TH...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80730#pid1006...

and this is what he wrote Nov. 2016:
Well. well...a very nice surprise to hear from old amigos on BajaNomads. In case you've been wondering, I've been NOB for a couple years and haven't visited Baja for a spell. Therefore nothing much to write about on this Baja forum.

Not to worry, friends, I am okay...although I won't be racing gazelles anytime soon. In a nutshell, I had a botched gall bladder operation, followed up quickly with a kidney failure. Talk about down time in hospital beds! But that's all, nothing like the Grim Reaper coming to call.

Been undergoing lots of physical therapy and too many check-up visits at the local clinic. Getting used to using a cane. Plus getting heaps of sympathy points from Co-pilot, though..which makes it all worthwhile.

Again, thanks for the inquiries and good wishes. I'll be checking Nomads more often in the future. Rest assured, when the time & 'climate' is right, I will be back with....some 100% true accounts! Perhaps some wandering & rambling stories? Like building a remote lake cabin, some fishing Up North & Down South, a Duk Shak garage dibacle, Co-pilot challenges, and believable misses on some pheasants?

Saludos....tu amigo, Pompano

p.s. many thanks to Don Jorge and chuckie for bring this to my attention.

[Edited on 12-1-2016 by Pompano]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
pmiller

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 07:05 PM

I've been all over Baja, but not for a while. My most memorable person vote goes to Dr. Abraham Vasquez of Gecko Camp. I thought I was computer savvy. I first heard of Google talking to Doc. at the camp.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pmiller  
I've been all over Baja, but not for a while. My most memorable person vote goes to Dr. Abraham Vasquez of Gecko Camp. I thought I was computer savvy. I first heard of Google talking to Doc. at the camp.

Doc was always very cool... He had a nice website too, with neat cha cha cha music.

Photo from Bedman, 2002.

Apr. 3, 2002 on the trail to San Juan from the railroad/tramline terminal.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 02:24 PM

I haven't posted for nearly three years, so perhaps I'm not eligible to suggest my choice.

My vote would have to be for Campbell Grant.

We met Campbell around 1966 when we were both teaching. He in Carpinteria, CA; I in the Santa Ynez Valley just north of him.

My wife was able to lead him to some cave paintings in the mountains above the Santa Ynez Valley. These relics were new to him, ones he'd never even heard about.

We became friends and he reciprocated by introducing us to the wonders of the Baja Peninsula and supplied us with hand-drawn maps of pictographs and petroglyphs in Baja, some of which have not been published anywhere as far as I know. I still have these maps and notes tucked into my 1964 edition of Gerhard and Gulick.

Our first trip south to Baja a few months later was in our 2WD pickup. No mishaps. We made it as far as Cataviña before running out of time but as soon as we returned I traded that 2WD for a 4WD. We were hooked.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 03:08 PM

Bufeo, welcome back.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 06:20 PM

Thank you, MMC. I've not been completely absent. I check in occasionally but not having a house at Pta Bufeo anymore has deterred me from contributing to the dialogue. I continue to enjoy the "conversations".
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.