BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 24°14'24.6"N 110°13'21.0"W what is going on here ?
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 11:24 AM
24°14'24.6"N 110°13'21.0"W what is going on here ?

Previous post got me playing with Google maps and learning my screen cap app and the forum ..... this caught my attention. Literally in the middle of nowhere. North / East of la Paz. Asphalt plant?

gps co-ord's in subject

la paz mystery1.jpg - 178kB

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 12:05 PM

I bet its related to the Natl Solar Observatory being evacuated by FBI. ET or asteroid inbound!

edit: https://www.space.com/41834-national-solar-observatory-facil...

[Edited on 9-15-2018 by woody with a view]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 01:03 PM

Looks like a pond associated with the mine just north of there

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 01:45 PM

Looks like the storage place for cenizas (ashes) from the power plant in La Paz.
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 06:17 PM

Now I remember, power plant dregs sounds likely. I got really lost trying to leave la Paz and drove past some exhaust stacks towards the ferries. Found two articles on a new diesel generation station and the biggest solar install in Latin America for la Paz. My trip gave me first taste of seeing solar in action, travellers and locals.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 07:17 PM

they are the super toxic ashes from the CFE plant.

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 08:06 PM

Hmmmmmm....and I suppose the winds don't blow them all over....

Don't believe everything you think....
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 08:32 PM

very interesting, but what exactley is the CFE plant
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 08:38 PM

CFE = Comisión Federal de Electricidad (English: Federal Electricity Commission) the state-owned electric utility of Mexico.

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
very interesting, but what exactley is the CFE plant
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 10:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Looks like the storage place for cenizas (ashes) from the power plant in La Paz.

If that’s for fly ash it’s only big enough for a few months.
Fly ash piles are usually close to plant
Don’t look like no fly ash pile I have seen

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 05:49 AM

http://sinat.semarnat.gob.mx/dgiraDocs/documentos/bcs/estudi... (page 11-13)

https://www.mural.com/aplicacioneslibre/articulo/default.asp...

It most certainly is, so take a drive out there and add to your knowledge base.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 08:16 AM

http://sinat.semarnat.gob.mx/dgiraDocs/documentos/bcs/estudi... (page 11-13)

https://www.mural.com/aplicacioneslibre/articulo/default.asp...

It most certainly is, so take a drive out there and add to your knowledge base.

Thanks Jack.
Here is a translation of the second link:

Leave CFE toxic ash to air in BCS The CFE's ash deposit is located near the Coyote and El Saltito beaches. Photo: Haydeé Ramírez The CFE's ash deposit is located near the Coyote and El Saltito beaches. Photo: Haydeé Ramírez The CFE's ash deposit is located near the Coyote and El Saltito beaches. Photo: Haydeé Ramírez Haydeé Ramírez / Correspondent La Paz, Mexico (August 19, 2014) .- The Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) has been throwing ash, with heavy metals, into the open air for only eight years, just 17 kilometers from the urban area of ​this city in Baja California Sur.

Since 2007, the parastate has accumulated about 3 thousand 500 tons of ash with heavy metals such as vanadium and sulfur dioxide.

Related Notes Profepa complaint to mining for spill Unleashes spill claim for water 700 wells closed by toxic spill Report toxic spill now in Durango It assumes mining chemical spill in river Spill mine of Cananea chemicals to rivers Each month, 30 to 40 tons of ashes are transported in containers in the deposit located near El Coyote and El Saltito beaches.

Manuel González, Head of the Environmental Control Department of the CFE explained that the ashes are the product of the 6 million liters of fuel oil that is burned every month in the two thermoelectric plants that supply electricity to the inhabitants of the capital of Baja California South.

"We are generating as 30, 35 and up to 40 tons of ash per month, depending on the generation of energy," he explained.

The ashes can be sold, he added, but in Baja California Sur they have been stored for nine years because they can not be transported due to the island's geography.

They would have to leave by sea or by land and that represents a risk and very expensive transportation expenses, he said.

"In other parts of the Republic it is sold, as in Mazatlan, because of the quick access they have to move it, which is what limits us," said González.

"Those ashes right now have some value in the market, they are already being auctioned and will probably be taken out and reused, we would no longer have them in the State," he explained.

Metals like vanadium are used to make tools and keys.

According to Gonzalez, the deposit where the ashes are is safe, since it was designed to store hazardous waste with compacted layers to avoid filtration to the subsoil, and although they are outdoors, the ashes are bathed in a substance so they do not fly.

The emission of ashes began in 2007 when the CFE installed a filtration system in its Punta Prieta plant to avoid sulfur dioxide emissions into the environment, which was prevented by 94 percent, but began with the storage of ashes.

Currently CFE chimneys continue with emissions, but González says that according to the reports they deliver to Profepa and Semarnat, they are well below the norm, which is 200 to 300 milligrams per cubic meter.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 08:57 AM

Thanks David. Used to be that finding the city of La Paz coming from sea you just had to look for the smoke pollution from CFE plant near harbor entrance. Some days the pollution was all over the city. Came the construction of Costa Baja resort and the pollution particles came raining down on new houses and boats in the Marina. Scrubbers were installed at the CFE plant and the particles were captured and needed to be stored somewhere (dumped). Driving out to Coyote beach and Puerto Mexia you drive right by the ash dump (which is walled). Pretty remote area, but some pretty expensive developments going in. Now you must use different navigation methods other than smoke to find the entrance to the harbor. Air is cleaner, another power plant is on line behind the hills, and Mexico's largest solar plant is on line south of the city.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 09:14 AM

with the new power plant the air in La Paz is 4 times dirtier than with the old Punta Prieta plant (converted to natural gas after the Costa Baja investors complained - money talks). The need for power has gone up dramatically. This week we had our first blackout due to high demand.
And the people of La Paz are enduring the toxic air (highest pulmonary death rate in all of Mexico) so Los Cabos can have power for hotels and resorts.
The solar plant would cover 100% of the power need of La Paz, but again, La Paz is producing power for Los Cabos.
Solar "would" cover 100% - if the plant would be running. Severely damaged during hurricane Odile in 2014 it has since been off-line.
There are plans to get it running again. But as well know, things are not fast in Mexico.
The solar plant is owned by Tesla by the way.

La Paz might not be the place to retire if you have any previous breathing problems. A friend died not long ago due to breathing problems.

Harald Pietschmann
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 10:44 AM

Since the dark point cfe plant shut down the air qulaity in downtown La P has improved drastically. Due to the prevailing winds, generally speaking, most of the crud blows S. Since the new plant is located over the hills and far east of La Paz the people most affected by the pollution are the same people that use most of it. Barriles would be the last place to settle down if you have pulmonary problem. I have no scientific data to back up my theory, it's all based on empirical data ie: visual observation. I might add that the slow paving of streets here has added significantly to improved air quality. Revolucion was dirt when I first came here - the air was nasty. It paid to have a healthy nose hair bush.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 11:47 AM

thanks to all the contrib's. Some very interesting details. At least it isn't a meth lab.... although sounds just as toxic. I did see the strip mining sites north of this. I did poke into the mining records for Baja but this area was not on the list - any guess as to what is being taken here?, seem to be a couple of tailing ponds you can spot.

On my return to La Paz from the north I remember thinking it looked a bit hazy from the hwy far from the city proper. But its a big city, I never think about power generation that is required. I've only known/lived with hydro. Shocking to hear about the air quality in the past and present. So the half dozen ice creams i had on the Malecon might have been a bit dirtier while walking around. Great city none the less.

New phrase of the day - nose bush. Love it. never thought about that being a natural air filter. Will have to research this.

And yes, found (pretty sure) the solar farm south of the city. Tesla - interesting again.
If I come back I will definitely try to find. In ??... the whale watching area down from G N , I saw the ground level solar hot water system in action for the shower rooms- very slick. Used the tap to make some hot chocolate in the morning. Tasted good.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 02:38 PM

Lots of mining activity around El Triunfo in BCS. Gold and silver. Spend some time on dirt roads, make friends, find mines and abandoned mining equipment. Check out Valle Perdido, talk to locals. Lots to see dating from 1850s, one rancho from 1720, maybe even the mission period. The rest is up to you, discovery is better unexpected. Nice folks out there!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 02:39 PM

"In ??... the whale watching area down from G N , I saw the ground level solar hot water system in action for the shower rooms- very slick. Used the tap to make some hot chocolate in the morning. Tasted good. "

Maybe you are referring to Kuyima campground in San Ignacio lagoon?

They use passive solar for hot water & wind to generate electricity for camp use.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 02:42 PM

Lots of mining activity around El Triunfo in BCS. Gold and silver. Spend some time on dirt roads, make friends, find mines and abandoned mining equipment. Check out Valle Perdido, talk to locals. Lots to see dating from 1850s, one rancho from 1720, maybe even the mission period. The rest is up to you, discovery is better unexpected. Nice folks out there!

See Jack's photos of this historic region:
http://vivabaja.com/swords/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 03:39 PM

when the wind is just right - all the dirty secrets blow away (to Todos Santos). But the wind is rarely right. Plus, at night the wind usually reverses and brings back what hasn't already fallen out of the sky.
La Paz has the perfect storm. The pollutants rain down on the town. The image shows what studies have pointed out - the heavy metals drop right onto town. Some inhale the good stuff right away. Others wait to inhale until cars have kicked up some dust (which not only contains the CFE pollutants, but also the ever present arsenic).
But then there is also the ocean. The metals rain down there too. Studies have shown that pretty much everything from sea grass over clams to the largest of fish contain high levels of everything CFE did not want to filter out of their exhaust (way too expensive - I understand).

We had an intensive discussion about dredging the bay for deeper shipping channels - it would newly disperse decades of toxins.
Nobody spends a minute to think where the stuff is coming from.
They are too busy protesting.
Also too busy protesting the new mines around El Triunfo.
Way too toxic. Right.
The toxins blown in their face in town are only visible from outside of town.
Always good to step back to get a perspective.

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.