Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Using Garmin Inreach in Baja
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 12:57 PM
Using Garmin Inreach in Baja

I picked a Garmin InReach Explorer+ this summer and really it. I was wondering in Baja if we needed non-emergency assistance if there is a list of numbers I can give someone in the US to contact for me once I use the Garmin to email or text them.

FYI Costco has the base model on sale for $229.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  
I picked a Garmin InReach Explorer+ this summer and really it. I was wondering in Baja if we needed non-emergency assistance if there is a list of numbers I can give someone in the US to contact for me once I use the Garmin to email or text them.

What kind of non-emergency assistanc do u need?
Call your mom!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 01:22 PM

Maybe if you know someone that lives there and could make calls for you.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

What kind of non-emergency assistanc do u need?
Call your mom!

I'm guessing this isn't a serious response but OK is there a number for the Green Angels or similar my Mom or someone in the US could call if we needed roadside assistance? I know the State of Baja California has the 078 number you can call from a cell in Baja.

carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 03:39 PM

I picked a Garmin InReach Explorer+ ...

Costco: Garmin inReach SE+ Satellite Communicator https://www.costco.com/Garmin-inReach-SE%2b-Satellite-Commun...

We'll be taking a trip in a few days and I'll be bringing along the Explorer+, one of the contacts I'll have handy is the Towing Service in Punta Prieta Whatsapp number: (011 52) 1 616-117-3592, Luis Lopez, Spanish only (I think) .... just in case... DON'T forget your Insurance Company cell number... Baja Bound... anyone that you can text...

[Edited on 9-15-2018 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2018 at 07:56 PM

Just make sure you have a local in your contact list. Don't plan on using text, use email. If you do not know anyone in Baja that could help then you are screwed. Of course there are many full timers in various locations throughout Baja. Choose a specific area and ask for their contact info on this forum.
======== =
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 08:40 AM

As PaulW knows (for he was once the rescue wagon), I have had Nomads with Spot or inReach devices notify me if they need assistance, and since I am on this website way too much, I am often good to get the word out should anyone of you be able to help! Graham, Mike Younghusband, Pappy Jon, and Geoffff come to mind.

I can tell you from traveling in Baja solo for 7 of 12 months, in 2017, and once last month, that it is very comforting to know you have friends and family who you can text or email with and they can see your location. Stuck Sucks would often text me while I was on a trip to help me if I seemed to be on a dead-end road or I could ask him a question about a road, as he travels so much for Cops Racing Team.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had use of a Garmin/DeLorme inReach Explorer for my Baja Bound research trips. It also doubles as a map making device and can record waypoints for points of interest. I think I have recorded about 1,000 so far for Baja Bound!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 11:30 AM

Thanks, guys. Good suggestions minus the one from the goat guy. I was also looking at my yearly insurance policy from ACE we bought through Discover Baja that includes "Platinum Travel Assitance" I need to get more information on what that includes.

David K - How do you like the Garmin maps in Baja? I've been pretty impressed with the detail in the NW this summer.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 12:32 PM

The maps on the inReach are fine for seeing where you are in relation to the coast or main roads. I have posted a couple of samples. Not sure if they are 'Garmin' maps, as the inReach I used was still by DeLorme, but Garmin had just bought DeLorme.

Here is the screen, on my smartphone of the inReach map, Gonzaga Bay. The red flags are waypoints and the blue text boxes are message points, verticle and horizontal:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the website map page after your trip, further south, here:

Here is a sample of the San Borja/ L.A. Bay area with some of my tracks on it. I have not mastered how to display tracks at a consistent sending interval. Some are at 1 min. and some are at 10 min. Also, some extra straight-across tracks connect message points that do not represent where I was driving closely. I think the trick to that is to turn off tracking each night?

Here is near the terminal platform south of Las Flores, and you can see you can view a satellite image as well as a topo map.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 02:02 PM

You better watch out, goat, people without sense of humor can be dangerous :)

Cell phone, Green Angels, roadside assistance.... Wake up, there is no such thing once you leave Tijuana-Ensenada area. Well, you might get cell phone service once you get to some town - but then they will take care of your non-emergency needs too, whatever it is. Beware of car-towing services. And of local police too.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 06:34 PM

David K - You are correct about the Delorme maps still being used by the InReach line.

Those 10min intervals do look a little wonky. Probably a good idea to turn off the tracking when you're done for the day.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 05:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

I think he's "fearless" because the only weapon they have is a keyboard.

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 06:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

The pen is mightier than the sword

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 06:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

The pen is mightier than the sword

Then I guess you fall into the category of "an unarmed man."

John
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 08:14 AM

David K - You are correct about the Delorme maps still being used by the InReach line.

Those 10min intervals do look a little wonky. Probably a good idea to turn off the tracking when you're done for the day.

======= =
Yup, The 10 min is the default for sending a link to others. Like David said after your trip go to your account and get a better track/map. Lately I have been using a 2 second track point interval and I get great tracks. Even with a specific track point like 2 sec you always get a 10 min map for the default to send to others. The only issue with a 2 sec choice is very large GPX files. With 2 sec you are limited to 2 days of continuous usage. I just spent 3 days in Moab and my device was hardly filled with track points because I turned it off after each day trip.
Example of a 2 sec trip
Two different zoom levels.
Screen shots from my account:

Fins Things.jpg - 229kB Detail fins things.jpg - 230kB

[Edited on 9-17-2018 by PaulW]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 08:33 AM

Nice work Paul!!!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 09:51 AM

Thanks, That area zoomed way in is the parking lot where the trip leader gave his briefing.
InReach has good maps especially in the US. Not so good in Baja.

BTW, the new Spot device has the feature of shorter track point interval and SPOT has always had the ability to create KML and GPX tracks. Of course the default of 10 minutes is much worse than InReach due to lower fidelity of the map.
A research study will have to be done to see is SPOT vs Inreach has the most cost effective accurate tracks. SPOT charges extra for more track points. For several years both SCORE and NORRA use SPOT with increased track points
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 10:02 AM

Paul W - Good to know on the tracking intervals. It would be nice if Garmin integrated InReach with their Basecamp desktop application so you could download the tracks offline.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 10:25 AM

Paul W - Good to know on the tracking intervals. It would be nice if Garmin integrated InReach with their Basecamp desktop application so you could download the tracks offline.

===== =
Not fully integrated with Garmin. Now is take quite a few minutes to get the tracks loaded. Once you have the GPX file its ok. The Inreach device data goes to the cloud then to your account then to a GPX file. Not a great way to do it.
No way to link the device data to a computer file like Basecamp.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2018 at 07:09 AM

We just got a garmin "mini" and will be using it starting in Dec/Jan for an extended road trip into Mexico. I'll be curious to see how it works for people to track us. We got it mainly for the texting availability and for emergencies if we are "off the beaten path".

We'll get the 40 text message plan and if anyone has recommendations on what settings, etc. are critical, please let me know!

Thanks!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.