Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adriana?s Tacos
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 08:23 PM
Adriana?s Tacos

Adriana?s Tacos

It was just a small taco stand from its outward appearance when I first stumbled onto it a number of years back, located along the malecon in San Felipe near the northern end of the strip. In those days there was only a single table, but there were folks waiting to order and be served and the atmosphere was festive and friendly.

There were four or five of us and we were in Baja and in no hurry so we waited until the line went down while I made a list of how many fish and shrimp and carne asada tacos we wanted and ordered them from a woman named Maria. Soon we were chomping on beer batter tacos and had brought a six pack from the adjacent liquor store and appropriately covered our cervezas in brown paper to avoid problems with the local customs.

Over the years we developed a great relationship with Maria, her husband and her children. Our friendship was never the kind where you sit and share a meal and discuss the old days. It was more like visiting from time to time and sharing the events from different worlds of the times in between. We talked, first and foremost, about our children, who were usually there from both families. They watched each other grow from a certain distance and I was personally pleased at the insight my children were getting from a perspective not their own that helped them to open up and see that the world around them was not always as they expected.

Across the years we watched Maria?s family grow and age. Their life centered around the tiny taco stand and their home just behind. The children were always there to help. Not as if they had to, there was never any complaining, but because they knew their support was meaningful. And Maria worked some pretty long hours to add to their growing needs.

One night Maria?s family invited us to attend a performance in which one of her daughters was dancing. That led to an abbreviated discussion, shared in Spanish and English as best we could, about the longer term events in their family. Maria and her husband had children in schools local to San Felipe, in Mexicali, and the oldest was just about to enter University.

All this, in part, on the income from a tiny taco stand.

And, perhaps most importantly, Maria and her husband and children accomplished all this without the sacrifice of having to adapt to a life style marching to an unknown drum by changing herself to fit a workplace. While working in the midst of Maria?s family dwelling, surrounded constantly by loved ones, she was helping to make their objectives come to fruition.

I sure wish I?d been paying more attention while I was growing up. Oh, well. Maybe it?s not too late.
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 08:28 PM
Thank You

Your story's are so wonderful, Wish I could write as well as you or express as well would be more like it. Thanks Cynda:light::light::light:
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 10:53 PM

I believe I know the stand, the people and the feelings associated with both....very nice, thank you for sharing.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 12:30 PM

Bonito cuento Mike, I too, hope it is never to late to learn. Saludos, Sara

[Edited on 3-11-2005 by Eli]
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 12:41 PM

Hey Mikey,
Good story, enjoyed it. Did you miss me?

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 01:38 PM

Mike ever since I read a trip report you wrote about Adrian's taco shop in San Felipe I have been eating there and taking many customers with me. The first time I introduced myself to her (Maria) and mentioned your name and that I had meet you. Of course she had wonderful things to say about you. That was about 4-5 years ago. When we went to San Felipe in December to pre-run a race we ate at her taco shop and had some tecate's in brown paper bags as you describe. It Turns out one of my friends who was with me knew Maria , Adriana and her whole family. My Friends aunt was Adriana's elementry teacher in SF. So they had a great time catching up. I always think of you when we pass or eat at her shop. She has become a great friend of ours as well. I thank you very much for mentioning her wonderful little diamond in San Felipe. Thanks for sharing Paul
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 05:40 PM
Thanks to you all for kind words...

They are a true success story.

Georock - of course we missed you, but you travel way too much! Poor petey must be lonely.

Eli - We haven't heard from you last couple weeks. Hope you're settled back in Baja.

Paul - I know many of us have tried Adriana's place over the last few years. It's such a small world that you were with your teacher friend. In the days before the peninsula was paved it seemed like we could just meander along the byways at our own pace and just keep running into the same folks all the way to the cape. Look forward to seeing you again soon. We gotta organize another open get-together.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.